Sign in to follow this  
Javito1986

Group members being killed

Well, here's the deal. Creating an SP/MP mission that'll involve some infantry action. As we all know infantry actions generally result in casualties. The protagonist in my mission happens to have a friend working in his squad... say the machine gunner, soldier #2. What I want is, in case #2 is killed, some kind of acknowledgement in the form of the white text on screen saying for example "Johnson was killed!".

I tried naming him to soldier1 and setting a getdammage trigger, but after running a test (I shot him in the head) it didn't seem to work. Anyone know how to do this?

You could add an eventhandler to each member of the group, in the groupleaders init field put:

"_x addEventHandler [""Killed"", {(leader playergroup) sidechat format [{%1 was killed},name (_this select 0)]}]" forEach units group this; playergroup = group this

Edit: Tested and fixed mistake

RED

Thank you, that works fine. Only trouble is that it does it for every member of the squad when they're killed. Forgive my scripting ignorance, but how can I change that to make it so it only acknowledges ONE of their deaths? Say for instance I name my Machine Gunner, number 2 in my squad, Beavis. Can I change that script so that it says "Beavis was killed!" when my MG gunner is killed only?

make a trigger:

Condition: NOT alive beavis

Activation: Mydude sidechat "Oh no, Johnson is down!"

Put this in the machine gunner's init field:

this addEventHandler ["Killed", {player sidechat "INSERT MESSAGE HERE"}]

That is basically what Red gave you, but his line of code applied that to everybody in the group, but you just want it on the one guy.