Sign in to follow this  
crodan

Poly count

Hello i was wondering if anyone had any advice on the max poly count without OFP grinding down to a holt as I am currently working on some russian civ trucks and when I when i try them in OFP i get a bit of slow down.

Thanks smile_o.gif

I would aim for 5000.but I would make 10000 your limit.And dont forget your lods.They are real important IMO.

Yes, thanks im currently in the learning stage and i was using 3D max to create a tanker shape and once I imported it into 02 it was about 2000 polys. I know now how to reduce that now but i suppose it is all part of the learning process.

yep for the first lod try and keep it below 10000. and don't forget the lods you need to break each 1 down till your last 1 which should be less then 300

Yes, lower LODs are very very important, especially for game play! I try to stay bellow 4000 points normally

As you go along you will normally make a model with very high polly counts, but eventually you will be able to see where you can lower the details a bit and still get the same effect.

Look for redundancy and non necessary points to eliminate...

one thing on pipes or circular objects, make sure to use only the necessary amount of points for them.... don't use 10 points in a radius on a cylinder thats like half an inch thick on the model...you'll figure it all out smile_o.gif

keep up the work!

In my opinion it's more important to make good textures than heavily detailed model. Model with 10000 polys and rushed textures runs and looks worse than model with 2500 polys and excellent textures. For example the great looking MTLBs are just about 1800 polys wink_o.gif.

Yes, thanks for the advice and i have just got some of my first addons in game and i realised why the game was slowing down. It was the fact i only had one lod as im currently working my way through brsseb's tutorials (Really Good) and none of the tutorial models had more than one lod. But after looking at other models i know now that the model can have a high poly count but also lod's.

Anyway sorry to ramble on thanks again for the advice : )