Sign in to follow this  
dm

Server admins, what are you doing!?!

Having just read this:

Quote[/b] ]and five games you really should avoid...
Quote[/b] ]5. Operation Flashpoint

Not because it doesnt work, but because the mostly US community has a tendancy to boot those bringing high ping to a game.

In an article in PC Gamer (PCG 133) about 56k online play.

I must say I'm shocked. I allways thought that our community was fairly good when it came to high ping players (I know as a 56k user myself I can get some good pings, and I can get some bad pings...) Now I don't know what servers they tested on, but its a pretty poor show when the community is thinning out as it is.

Shame on you tounge_o.gif

Mostly US community? I think 75% of the community, at least, is non-American. Or is he only referring to the US servers?

D'oh, 1st topic in the wrong place sad_o.gif

Well.. they probably only tested on gayspy, since all the admins I know are decent blokes (they havent kicked me for having a ~300 ping)

I think another (shorter this time) ranting letter is in order biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I allways thought that our community was fairly good when it came to high ping players
like a year ago people used to let 56k ppl play like me biggrin_o.gif .but now i get kicked off each server (wonder why tounge_o.gif )people with cable now run the show, they kick people with only a 200ping.so i gave up playing mp on ofp

Well if your in the UK and your connecting to an American server your going to have a 1000 odd ping, that not only makes it unplayable for you, but also everyone else. Unfortunatley OFP doesn't support PvP with a 56kr too well, nobody likes hideous lag spikes of 4-5 seconds, and well would rather play with somebody with dsl. On the other hand, when your a 56kr, its just a case of finding the server thats closest to you, in order to get a game.

i think what happened is if youve played the early versions of flashpoint (1.3 and less) you know how bad gameplay is with a hideous ping. people started tolerating high pings less after that i think. high pingers arent that bad in opf now, i but it was HORRIBLE playing with them back in early versions of FP cuz of the netcode

Its no fun shooting an enemy with 10 bullets and then he spots you and shoots back and you both die. Thats why 56kers get kicked alot. I would find it strange if 56kers were kicked from coop games since theire lagg wont effect the other players. If you got 56k you should try to play more coop, then small CTFs and never even think about CTI.

I've never kicked anyone for ping, regardless of how high it was, as long as they were responding.

Same here.

(Come say hello to the kyllikki server again sometime baron)

well, i also never kicked players from my servers, having a bad ping. i only kicked the guys, who wanted me to kick the lowpingers. cause i hate it, hearing the sentence:

"kick these n00bs" etc...

when i played online using a 56k the two words that kept spring to my mind was leper and outcast sad_o.gif

The article is clearly writen by someone who has no idea what he's talking about. If there's been any investigation at all, it was very poorly. Just browsing thrue these boards you'll soon notice the community is not at all dominated by US players. Besides that, I do occasionly see people get kick for having high pings, but OFP is in no way impossible for 65k'ers. Much has been improved on that matter since 1.00.

WOW, everyone's so nice here, sounds like nobody kicks anyone. 10 minutes ago I joined the =USA= server for a game, I got kicked with no response by some Maxi, something dude. Please show a little respect people; their are other people on the end of what your typing and doing. And especially using the name "USA", ...have some integrity and character with the name boys. thanks.

Well as a Server Admin I can say this, if your ping is so horrible that Joe 300 + ping is going to effect the game for 99% of the rest of the people, and those people are the paying contributors of said server, guess who is going to win.

What amazes me about this thread is that it was started by the same person the demands so much respect from the community, but slams the US automatically for one or more bad experiences. Servers are kind of in the same line of add-ons. Time, effort and MONEY are required to maintain them.

Playing on a server is a privilege not a right, something to think about.

What amazes me about this thread is that it was started by the same person the demands so much respect from the community, but slams the US automatically for one or more bad experiences. Servers are kind of in the same line of add-ons. Time, effort and MONEY are required to maintain them.

Ahh.. but I never slammed the US, I simply asked what was going on. And something MUST be going on if they think it that bad to publish it in a gaming magazine (think of the 100's of other online games that they have not commented on)

I quoted the exact article from the mag. (I can scan it if you want) But where the main difference lies, is that by kicking people, you are actively discouraging people from playing OFP. We [the addon makers] do quite the opposite, and my little "whinge" about respect hardly dissuaded people from playing the game, did it...

Quote[/b] ]Playing on a server is a privilege not a right, something to think about.

As is having addons publically released, so everyone needs to do some thinking, don't they.

Quote[/b] ]As is having addons publically released, so everyone needs to do some thinking, don't they.

*Claps*

Touche, Touche smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Server admins, what are you doing!?!, Especially you american ones!
Quote[/b] ]Shame on you!

where I come from thats a slam.

Quote[/b] ]As is having addons publically released, so everyone needs to do some thinking, don't they.

didnt I say that?

I can understand and obey the rules on any server. But, as a person it would be good practice to respond to a player who has too high of ping and then kick them. ya can't buy respect.

My suggestion for 56kers is to join a squad. Some will take you, some won't. I usually check the SWAF server first for games, and if none on, I will seek out public servers.

I'll I'm looking for is "public" servers that welcomes All.

think about the noobs folks. If you expect OFP to be the best game out there, welcome them in ...

For clarification ALL people are welcome, and "noobs" are encouraged and helped. Being kicked for high ping (from our server at least) only applies in adversarial play, and yes they are informed before hand. But as I have found this typically results in them coming back 2 seconds later and escalating it into a ban. Maybe some admin's are just trying to avoid the whole progression of events (just a thought, being the devils advocate here) NOT that I condone or approve of not saying anything to the HPBs.

But coming back to the server you have just been removed from and cursing and demanding to play is probably not going to win you any points.

Well on our server we have The Great Modem Treaty.

Modem players don't complain about large missions and we don't complain about their lag.

I own and run the Australian Flashpoint server, I want as many players to enjoy the game as possible and I have absolutely no problem with a few players that have higher pings. Ask anyone in the OGN Flashpoint community and they will tell you we absolutely are friendly and courteous to those with pings above 300. Hell some of our regulars ping at 400 sometimes. And we enjoy fun gameplay.

I value their company and I do not believe in kicking players just because they don't have cable.

Extreme connections are obviously a different issue but my philosophy is if they can green up they are good to go.

Other server owners can run their "broadband only club" but I have run my server for almost 4 years this way and we see no reason to change now. smile_o.gif

IMHO it looks to me like ppl are talking about different things

in this thread.

On the BF (formerly DV) server, we always asked ppl with

high pings to watch out for a server with lower pings to them.

I'm sure it goes the same way on other servers being led

in a serious way.

Unfortunately very often i noticed that ppl with high pings

(and i mean really high pings above 500) did not even respond

to such a consultation. Maybe it has taken too long until the

message has reached their pc to be able to respond smile_o.gif

or maybe they thought that not to answer is a way to stay

in.

At least i think: if an admin tells somebody to leave, because

of his ping, and nothing returns from that guy, it's also some

kind of disrespect and will lead to a kick.

Most kicks because of high pings i noticed, happened when

waiting at the briefing screen, and in most of the cases that's

the place, where messages don't come through, because of

ppl's connections being busy with loading the mission itself.

Therefore it may sometimes look like a kick without a reason.

I do also agree that it's very annoying trying to shoot a guy

by emptying 2 mags on him, just to see he's not falling down

and 20 secs later he turns around, shots you with one single

bullet in your head and suddenly both are killed.

I think the boooohs here have only to go to that guy, who

wrote this report, as he seems not having done enough research before typing it.

Just on a sidenote: most call of duty servers do not accept

a ping over 200, and i think it's not even a question that call

of duty doesn't require as much network performance as OFP

does.

~S~ CD

Before i enter into a discussion about "high pings" i'd like to know what is a "high ping". We got players from the other side of the world playing on our server and i don't mind those players having a ping of 300. But we do mind bandwidth a bit, in ofp a player with low badwidth can desync the game and make it unplayable for everyone else. Although we most of the times give those players a chance.

People who come onto the server without even saying hi, hello or something else, or people not responding when talked to are another matter. Those are likely candidates for a kick. We want teamplay, in coop or adversarial games, and people who do not even try to show some willingness to play nice with others are most of times just ruining the game for everyone else.

Public players flaming regulars (or even other public players) will get kicked most probably and depending on how much they misbehaved they may get banned too. This game is supposed to be fun for everyone, we don't need to play with people who try to take away the fun from everyone.

Sometimes we have games for members and regulars only where we will lock the server, but sometimes people come on in those short moments between missions when the server is open. We will tell them to leave and kick them if they don't answer or leave.

So you see, there are lots of reason why someone may get kicked, most of them will not happen to people with just basic social skills. And most of the times it is not because of ping. Although we won't start the game with someone whose ping doesn't drop below 1000 or something high like this.

And people with such a crappy internet connection that the fastest server for them is still in the 4 digit ping range can not demand to play on any server. Same for those antisocial players that get kicked everywhere because of their behaviour. If someone lets them play on their server, good for them. If they don't like getting kicked everywhere they should get their own server. Then they can make the rules there.

Any server admin should know which players can play and which can't.

Just maybe be a little more tolerant of players with pings over 100ms, being kicked from server after server must be pretty demoralising and they'll just go play something else.

As Benu said, it isn't the ping thats the problem, more bandwith and desync issues. I've had ISP trouble in the past, where I have had a 23ms ping, but 5 bandwith and constant desync, now thats much worse than say a 300 pinger with high bandwith and little desync playing however some people are just obsessed with ping; with little or no understanding of how it and bandwith/desync works.