Sign in to follow this  
Friedchiken

Bushes that hide you but are impassable

I think BIS designer intent is already clear with the bush objects on Nogova but I really think that Ghost Recon is the best example of bushes that hid you but soldiers couldn't just go prone in them and "become the bush"

From what I remember from GR, you couldn't pass through the "stumps" but the outer braches where non-clipping which acted as a way to snuggle into the bush without unrealistically clipping into the object.  Bushes should block the profile better (no brainer, I probably shouldn't mention it) but if a character may need to shift his position as an enemy group goes around the bush.

From what I learned in nature, bushes can be pretty sharp and soldiers aren't forrest nymphs that pass through foliage easily.  Bushes are like mini-trees enforcing thier spacial comfort with man with sharp edges.

I hope some people can understand me when I encounter some iffy AI placement or multiplayer games when people can easily see you but they are so inside the center of the bush that you can only see a black thingy in a green blob.

This is most evident in multiplayer where in the old islands the cities sometimes had decorative bushes that people would lie down in and shoot you with full sight but all you saw was decorative bush.

As for tall grass, that's a bit of a different plant and I guess you could easily lie down in that easily in the brush.

I think bushes shouldn't be so easy to see through for the hider so he should have to go to the bush's side and shoot form there.

I hope some people can understand what I'm getting at.  smile_o.gif

I got your point. It would be nice indeed if you couldn't go trough or in the bush. Don't know about grass in this case. Grass or hey is more flexible than branches of bush.

Yeah, for example the water reeds in the classic Ambush mission. Those are like grass and are extremely bendable. I wouldn't mind if you just clip through them

I'd prefer an impenetrable centre to bushes too, but would also like the outer parts to move as you push through and also make more noise the faster you position yourself. ie. you can place yourself carefully with minimum noise and movement or just charge through with crashing and banging.

Ever tried hiding from a patrol behind a car?

Hiding like that is so tense and funny, esp when they round the corner. Hiding in the brush mostly shouldn't give 360 degrees of stealth but can help alot if you a prone at the side of the bush. When the enemy is directly in front of you ( give some room for error), it should be easier to see you compared to other positions unless it's dark and your silloette is hidden by the larger shape.