Sign in to follow this  
Harnu

Speed up, and hold that speed

This is a little feature I would like to see while driving in-game. In all games I've played you hold one button, you go x mph, hold another you go 2x mph, blah blah.

I would like to see a little more realism. Such as accelerate, and hold that current speed. I.E. E to go faster, W to hold that speed. That way you can better adapt to the road you are on and allow other players to catch up to you without having them blow past you or or making them slow odwn aswell.

Just a little I would like to see, just a little more realism.

The way you describe it seems a bit anooying to use. Opflash 1 already has something like that. You have the turbo button which makes you go faster but makes you lose a bit or road control.

Turbo button  rock.gif. I assume you mean "e" as the default for that to go as fast as the car can go on certain terrain. For instance, 60mph in a jeep. Vs 40 if you hold W. What if I want to go 50? Or any of the others in-between.

Not a bad idea, it would be good for peolple without joystick or steeringwheel...

But the best way to solve it is to use a steering wheel, the only problem with it in OFP as it is now is that you can't have an other joystick too... smile_o.gif

Hmm yes... I'd like to see manual gears, rather than automatic.

Makes it a whole lot more realistic.

This can already be done with scripting, althought not all the way. The game doesn't calculate torque or any of that so when going up a steep hill on low gear with the "manual" script, you just won't go up.

While we are on the subject, is it possible to drive-upside down with a loop made by a roadway LOD?

That would be interesting...

I agree with the basic gripe of it being less realistic, but I'm going to play the devils advocate and defend the 2 button speed control scheme.   It's just flat out simple...Everything else in the game takes a bit of finger-work to get it right.  For example using the [ and ] to cycle through action menu, and pushin enter sometimes would make you jump out of a plane prematurely if you wernt careful.  And using asterisk on the number pad to unlock charcters view and turn your head without changing your general facing...Then using asterisk again to reallign.

I'm all for a flexible control scheme but there are things that I find less important like foreward movement are unneccesary clutter.  Maybe a 3rd button for Run-Lock or full-throttle-lock toggle would give better options while keeping it nice and simple.

Its hard enough to drive and pay atention to the surroundings without driving right into enemy fire, even more to the realism maniacs who play/drive in 1st person view.

We have (Q) for slow, (W) for normal speed, (E) for fast and (S) for brakes and reverse, we can go from normal speed to slow by pressing (Q), i think it works quite well the way it is.

Sure we can never have too many options, if bis decides to put manual gears and clutch has optional it wouldnt hurt smile_o.gif .

Its hard enough to drive and pay atention to the surroundings without driving right into enemy fire, even more to the realism maniacs who play/drive in 1st person view.

We have (Q) for slow, (W) for normal speed, (E) for fast and (S) for brakes and reverse, we can go from normal speed to slow by pressing (Q), i think it works quite well the way it is.

Sure we can never have too many options, if bis decides to put manual gears and clutch has optional it wouldnt hurt smile_o.gif .

Agree

Theres no point in making driving more sofisticated than it allready is. Its a imho small part of the game, and i think the current controll work wonders.

Basically, what Harnu is saying (or rather, what I understood), is to turn vehicles into airplanes.

Looking at OFP now, all vehicles (except planes (and helicopters, but that's different)) slow down to a stop when releasing the speeder. The planes however, remain at the specified speed. Except when on ground, where the plane slows down to a stop when going slower than 20 Km/H(or 18, it varies). I like Harnu's idea, and suggest that it be made excactly like the Aircrafts, with the exception of the 20 Km/H stopping maneuver.

In short: I agree with Harnu.

I would prefer that you can change the speed of driving or walking and running via the mouse wheel and walking slow or crawling slow you make less noice and the animations will be like you sneak. The speed is shown somewhere on the screen togehte with your status if you are prone or walking etc.

Using a wheel as throttle for a vehicle sounds cool, but I dont think it would be good for when you are on foot. I dont want to have to have a seperate button or adjust a throttle of some sort just to make my soldier stop walking.

It was used in Hidden & Dangerous 2:

sneak (no sound and very slow), slow, normal, running

maybe there should be sprint option too.

The same was possible with the vehicles.