Sign in to follow this  
@cero

Books

Hi all.

I find that one of the bigest ways to learn about something is by reading. I know that I picture worth more than thousend words, but you can allways include pics in a book biggrin_o.gif lol.

Anyway. I noticed that the latest books I read have gived me a good font of information and inspiration for OFP, for mission editing, mods or just addons, plus they helped me to understand alot more about the military.

No I don't just read military related books, but the last 4 or 5 books I readed are.

I would like to mention them incase you guys would like to see by yourselfes.

"The shooting gallery" by Gaz Hunter, this is a must read, full of action and good information gived.

0752827200.02.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

"No escape zone" by Nick Richardson.More inspiration for missions in this book, it made me look for a Yugoslavian war mod badly.

0751531022.02.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

"The Joker" by Pete Scholey, Not the best action book I read, but a good book and one that I will read again, Pete Scholey shows a different side on the SAS here, the comical.

0233050280.02.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

"Immediate action" by Andy McNab. You can think whatever about this guy, but I have to say that this book is great.

055214276X.02.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

I'm currently reading "Goose Green". Despite the book being so different to the other books above, I find it rader interesting how the Goose Green battle debeloped. More of a History lesson than anything ellse.

So, what is your fav books then?

If you want another good war book, read '48 by James Herbert. It's a horror-thriller book set in WW2. It's based on the presumption that the V-2 rockets which fell on London contained biological warfare devices. Three years later, most of the population is dying from an agent that makes the blood clot in the body.

Get it. Read it. Now. biggrin_o.gif

[Gareth Gates must die]

@ Skull

I should actually said that I much prefere real live events books, but your sugestion sounds good aswell.

Thanks mate, I'll have a look to that.

I just been looking at what to get next, and I'm really surprised by the amount of SAS books in the market.

I like SAS books, but is not all I want to read.

Some good books about conflicts narrated by some one that was actually there like "No escape zone", it don't even have to be about infantry.

HALO:The Flood

If you are thinking that this name sounds familiar, you are correct. This book is a prequel to HALO, answers some of the questions from HALO and is a good read.

Halo: The Flood, is Halo in book form. Halo: The Fall of Reach is the prequel to halo.

Quote[/b] ]Halo: The Fall of Reach is the prequel to halo.

Speaking of the Fall of Reach, it is a great book, well worth a read.

I'd suggest Red Storm Rising, by Tom Clancy, Red Phoenix, by Larry Bonds, The Enemy Within, also by Larry Bonds. I can't remember the title or author, but another book I also enjoyed was about this guy who makes/puts together a really bad virus that makes people try to destroy themselves and makes them have seizures, and distributes it in these little jack-in-the-box things. Maybe someone else has read it and remembers the title/author.

Stalingrad by Antony Beevor is a good read .. at least i found it interesting.

1256533_3592138_big.jpg

Some time ago i read "Die Woelfe & der Admiral - (The Wolves and the Admiral)" by Wolfgang Frank.

oh i see it´s an old one...from 1953 wow  wow_o.gif

It´s written in a very dry style but gives a good insight to WW2 Submarine War.

think i will add Red Storm Rising, ´48 and Shooting Gal. to my x-mas wishlist ... haven´t read a good (any) book recently  sad_o.gif

I suggest you all the book:

Delta Force

It is a Real story from how the Delta was made ( from the 70's thill the modern day ) and you read about campaigns from the 1st-SFOD ( first special Forces Operational Detachment - Delta ) and many more.

So read it.

wink_o.gif

Ahh I'm getting that Fighting Scared book for winter solstice, glad to hear it's good.  I had to get it when I was looking at the pictures and found that it was the crazy moustachioed Scottish guy I saw on TV a while ago talking about the Iranian Embassy siege.

Another good book I have read was about a Norwegian special forces guy in WWII who did an amazing escape and evasion, although I can't remember the name of it. Anyone know?

Now reading: Ghostwar

by Michael A. Stackpole

(novel #1 in the new series Mechwarrior: Dark Age)

Fatherland

by Robert Harris

(what if Germany had won the war?)

Battle Cry of Freedom

by James M. McPherson

(about the american civil war)

When The Tripods Came

The White Mountains

The City of Gold And Lead

The Pool of Fire

all by John Christopher

(Tripods trilogy + prequel; howto conquer earth with hypnosis)

Want some humour? Then pick something from Terry Pratchett or Douglas Adams (all together more than 30 books full of fun and ironic/sarcastic reviews of our society)

Devil's Guard by George Robert Elford

The blurb :

Quote[/b] ]

The brutal and shocking testament of a Nazi mercenary

This is a first hand record of an unregenerate Nazi who escaped the war crimes trials in Europe after World War II adn joined the French Foreign Legion.

Sent to Indochina to fight the Viet Minh, the German battalion shot, bombed, tortured and bayonetted the enemy.

Devil's Guard is one man's personal document of reprisals and counter- reprisals, of criminal violence on both sides, of outrages against humanity, of war at its rawest, cruellest and most gruesome.

Heh, don't be too discouraged by that, it really is an interesting read wink_o.gifsmile_o.gif

Rainbow Six, Red Storm Rising. smile_o.gif

And the book that everyone should read: 1984

As far as war books go there's only one (all-time) favourite:

'All quiet on the western front' by Erich M. Remarque

Last year i got this book from a friend: Its excellent reading:

0552144657.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Close Quarter Battle by Mike Curtis. Its a novel he wrote of his life from his work in the mines in wales - through the falkland battles, and later get approved in SAS, here we hear of the operations in the guld war... GREAT reading.

New book out about Navy SEAL experiences: Warrior Soul, by Chuck Pfarrer.

'Warrior' recalls games SEALs play.

Quote[/b] ]Though it feels somewhat dated, Warrior Soul is a convincing portrait of the SEAL's dedication to duty and gives an insight into what it takes to be among the best of the best. Contemporary readers will get a hint of what the U.S. peacekeepers in Iraq are most likely confronting.

Be forewarned: It might leave you feeling like a wimp.

Quote[/b] ] Contemporary readers will get a hint of what the U.S. peacekeepers in Iraq are most likely confronting.

Peacekeepers !

Hehe , nice try  biggrin_o.gif

Have you read it actually Avon ?

Have you read it actually Avon ?

No. Just saw this in today's news.

I'm not a big reader of military books.