Sign in to follow this  
benu

1.92/linux: missions not working anymore

Many missions working fine with 1.91 dedicated servers now do not work anymore. After selecting slots and starting the map, but before getting to the briefing, the server returns to the briefing screen and displays an error message about "missing addon groups." This "addon" is missing serverside, as players would simply have dropped from the server when they are missing addons.

When i unpbo the mission and add "groups" to the addon section of the mission.sqm the mission will work again. So it seems that addon dependencies (or at least checking of those dependencies) has been changed from 1.91 to 1.92. At least for linux dedicated servers. I am not sure if this affects other addons as well, i had some problems with bas_repair.pbo too, but this may be caused by other reasons, ie i fixed it in a different way. But maybe more "addons" (or addon vehicles) are affected...

Is this some kind of deliberate "improvement" of the addon handling and are the missions not configured correctly or is this a bug in the addon dependency checking?

I just switched the server back to 1.91 and the mission worked again. I got a "missing addon groups" popup, but i could click it away and play.

Will do some more testing...

I just let a friend check with a windows dedicated server. No problem there.

This seems to be a bug in the linux server, starting with version 1.92 (1.93b has it too). Some missions (did not yet discover which and what exactly causes it) need an addon "groups" defined in the mission.sqm with v1.92+. This is not really an addon but part of many addons. This is quite bad as many missions will not work anymore.

It also seems that the linux server is much pickier in general regarding addon dependencies, especially with addons in modfolders. Some addons which work in the addons or res/addons folders will not work in an modfolder.

I will try to setup a local copy of my dedicated at home and give more testing to this in the next days. But as i have no idea what exactly is causing this i have to do a lot of addon juggling and mission debpoing. But i am sure it is (at least partly) triggered by the server having it's addons in a modfolder, as all other addons that gave me troubles in the last days worked fine when put into the normal addons folder.

First i noticed it after upgrading to 1.92 that some missions did not work anymore, because of "missing addon groups". As we hadn't played that particular missions for a long time and i took some addons from the server i thought maybe it had something to do with that (although i keep a database of which missions need which addons and i didn't remove any addons that were still needed).

Then a friend made a new mission which worked fine on a windows server but not on my linux server. The error was "missing addon groups" again. I edited the mission.sqm and put "groups" into the addons section and it worked. But i heard complaints from some windows user that the mission will not run on their win servers when groups is in the addons section. But i can't tell for sure it THEY had their addons in a modfolder. I am not even sure it this should make a difference that way around, as i had never any problems with addons in the normal folders at all. So something in the resolving of addon dependencies on linux servers seems to be different from that on windows servers in version 1.92 and above.

I'll report back when i find out more about it.