Sign in to follow this  
Poet

Csv without excel?

Hi,

Is it possible to make CSV files without MSExcel?

I refuse to buy any more MS products ( and can't be bothered obtaining them in other ways wink_o.gif ) and I recently had to delete my Linux partition with Star/Kde Office due to lack of HD space. sad_o.gif

Are there any other Apps out there I can use on a Winbox or can they be made as text files, and if so whats the format?

Any help as always appreciated. smile_o.gif

Cool, didnt know about them. Thanks man. smile_o.gif

God bless the Open Source Community.

Now all I need to do is find a decent tutorial on how to make, edit and use them ... worst tutorial I've seen yet on OFPEC. wow_o.gif

Yeah, but its a lot quicker in a spreadsheet, and Open Office completely Roxors tounge_o.gif ( its basically the same as Star Office, but free, you hear that Gates? Free you b*st*rd! mad_o.gif )

Now all I need to do is find a decent tutorial on how to make, edit and use them ... worst tutorial I've seen yet on OFPEC. wow_o.gif

You're right the CSV tute at OFPEC isn't all that. I was making one awhile back but never finsihed it. Perhaps I should.

here is the start of the CSV tute I was making. I'll try and finish it and post it at OFPEC. Look at the part "what is a stringtable file". There is nothing really mysterious about csv fiels. They are just text files where the data is organized by a predetermined seperator (like commas)

Here is an example of a csv file made without excell. Copy this into notepad and save it as "stringtable.csv" and you'll have a valid csv file.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

"LANGUAGE","English","French","Italian","Spanish","German","Comment"

"STR_REALHALO","Deploy Chute","Déployez le Parachute","Schieri Paracadute","Despliegue el Paracaídas","Despliegue el Paracaídas",

The top of the example is sort of like a 'header' it tells the game where to find the data in the lines below. In the example the french line is after the second comma from the left. The game knows this because in the "header" the word "French" is after the second comma from the left.

A Comprehensive Guide to Stringtable files in OFP

by toadlife

http://toadlife.net/ofp

Introduction

That mysterious file called "stringtable.csv" that you find everywhere in your OFP directory is a very handy tool that can enhance your missions and addons in OFP, but is rarely used by addon/mission makers. Using a stringtable file can make editing and changing the text for radio messages, markers, dialogs, radio triggers an easier task, and with stringtables, you can support multiple laguages for your missions and addons - even langauges that are not supported by default in OFP! This tutorial explains what a csv file is, how to make them, and how to use them in your missions and addons.

What is a "CSV" file anyway?

A stringtable file is basically a text file, which follows a specific format. The extension "CSV" stands for "Comma Seperated Values". This adquately describes what a csv file contains - values, which are sperated by commas. smile_o.gif You can think of a csv file as a table in a database. It comes complete with rows and colums, just as any other type of table in any database would have. In a csv file, a new column is defined by deliminator, which can be any predetermined character. In OFP's stringtable files, the deliminator is a comma. A new row is defined by a new line in the text file.

Before I move, I'll make one thing clear - CSV files are not Microsoft Excel files. Microsft Excel, and other spreadsheet programs will associate themselves with CSV files when they are installed, but when saving CSV files, programs like Excel will do their best to screw them up for you, unless you tell them to save the files in the proper format.

Ok, how to I create and edit stringtable files?

You can either use a spreadsheet program like Microsoft Excel, or a plain old text editor to create and edit stringtable files. A text editor is generally easier for small stringtables, but if your stringtable is huge and/or contains multiple languages, a spreadsheet program may be a better choice, as they make sorting all of the data in your file easier. The spreadsheet program I use in OpenOffice.org Calc. OpenOffice is a free and powerfull office suite that you can download here. If you allready it, Microsoft Excel will work just as well for editing your stringtable files.

Creating a "template" file.........to be continued.

biggrin_o.gif

I'd noticed your comments on OFPEC about the Tut, and was kinda hoping this thread might stir you ( or anyone ) into action. blues.gif

I've looked at others .csv files to try and understand, but its the custom voice/radio part I need to get to grips with. The voice Tut on OFPEC just says:

Quote[/b] ]1) In the stringtable.csv file you need to create a row defining the text string you want the character to say over the radio. In the row you specify the identifier (let's call it STRM_fallback), the actual text string, and a comment. I use the comment field to note who is saying the string. The comment field isn't used but it makes remembering who is saying what a lot easier.

which is all good and everything, but doesnt tell you HOW to create a "text string", or what other stuff you can do with the csv file.

I'm glad you're having a go at writing a decent Tutorial, for such an important file, the current Tut is just no good at all.

Good luck with writing it, and please let us know when its done.

Cheers!

Poet.

Even though I posted a comemnt that the tute sucked, I didn't reallize how bad it was. It shouldn't have been unpended at all.

Quote from that csv tute at ofpec...

Quote[/b] ] All CSV's are made with Microsoft excel and are very simple to use.

LOL! ok...Im REALLY need finish that tute.