Sign in to follow this  
deathsangel

Changing out vehicle crews

I looked around for this info and didn't find anything so, here goes. I have several vehicle mods that have inappropriate crews. For example, a sherman with a modern us tank crew. So, basically I need to swap them out with appropriate crewmembers. This is for mutiplayer and have tried the following: placing the vehicles empty and assigning the crew with the "moveingunner", "moveincommander", and "moveindriver" statements in their init fields. This would be fine except that they are assigned to the vehicles AFTER the player selection screen which means that you do not know who goes where. Any suggestions?

maybe - really only maybe this would work:

create a sherman in the editor (a manned one)

Now create  3 more guys (commander/driver/gunner)

and group them to the tank - make them playable (not the

tank itself).

The good thing is: they will show up with the same callsigns

as the tankgroup has (i think this is what you want here)

Now in the player selection screen there will show up

these (not mounted) 3 guys.

As soon as the mission starts you can try to deleteVehicle

the primary crew: deleteVehicle commander tank

deleteVehicle driver tank

deleteVehicle gunner tank

And then again movein the 3 playable guys where you want.

:hint - you could do this by using the init.sqs, so it will be

the very first thing done before the game starts.

~S~ CD

Ok, I'll give some details so you can see more specifically what I'm getting at.  I'm setting up a German WW2 armor platoon (mixed unit) and want the players to be able to select what vehicle/postition they are in.  Now, the group name (alpha black and such) is not descriptive of what the unit is. So, I need the crews to be assigned to the vehicle BEFORE the player selection screen in order that the players can tell, hey this spot is for the tiger gunner etc.  Now, I just tried init.sqs as below to no effect.

***************other stuff above**********

releventSection

gs1 assignAsCommander tiger

gs1 moveInCommander tiger

gs2 assignAsCommander pz4

gs2 moveInCommander pz4

gs3 assignAsCommander stug1

gs3 moveInCommander stug1

gs4 assignAsCommander stug2

gs4 moveInCommander stug2

gs5 assignAsGunner tiger

gs5 moveInGunner tiger

gs6 assignAsGunner pz4

gs6 moveInGunner pz4

gs7 assignAsGunner stug1

gs7 moveInGunner stug1

gs8 assignAsGunner stug2

gs8 moveInGunner stug2

gs9 assignAsDriver tiger

gs9 moveInDriver tiger

gs10 assignAsDriver pz4

gs10 moveInDriver pz4

gs11 assignAsDriver stug1

gs11 moveInDriver stug1

gs12 assignAsDriver stug2

gs12 moveInDriver stug2

/releventSection

***************other stuff below**********

So, the problem tankieboy is that the script must be completed before the player selection screen and I have no clue how that can be done or IF it can even be done.

DV Chris Death, I hope the above clarified the problem some.  If what I wanted was the effect that your getting at above, then that would no doubt work perfectly.

If Init.sqs is in fact processed first, then this would seem to be impossible.  So, does anyone know of anything that may come before it or am I going to have to resign myself to making the players launch, see where they want to be, then abort and relaunch?

Edit:

I just tried something similar in the description.ext file.  I didn't really expect it to work but I figured, "what the hey".  Note: It crashed on mission load (in the editor) which is about what I thought would happen.

Something I just thought about: Is it possible to change one object into another? I was thinking something like the following (not syntactically correct no doubt):

this commander = wercrew1

this gunner = wercrew2

this gunner = wercrew2

Only way to make sure players know the position in set up phase is to use the preassigned crews. It is possible however to put short note in to the mission. (note that shows in the set up under the mission name)

Eg: "groups : alpha black, red etc. pos 1. Driver, pos 2. gunner, pos 3. commander."

I guess it makes sense to place them in above order so if a vehicle has no commander spot it could be left out.

Other way to go around this is to mess around with the config.cpp of the crew and change the names of the soldiers, but this means you have to make a new addon basically.

Hope this helps...

I was kinda starting to think that McDeth, but, does anyone know how/if the following could be done:  Use the default crews on mission load so the players see where they are, then on mission start change them from modern russians to ww2 germans?  Sure, the player selection screen may be a little fubar'd because the icons and names will show as modern russians, but the switchover would be instantanous on mission run so no one would know the difference.

edit: Also, it'd be impossible to fit all positions in that little description field

Quote[/b] ]DV Chris Death, I hope the above clarified the problem some. If what I wanted was the effect that your getting at above, then that would no doubt work perfectly.

DOH - thinking again about this i came to the conclusion

that i forgot that there are no different crewmen available.

I already understood what you want before.

You want to have the positions of the units in the tank

showing up for the players in the player selection menu.

My idea would work, if there were crewmen, called:

crewman-commander

crewman-driver

crewman-gunner

but i forgot that there are only simple: crewman

(without any notification about their occupation)

I would suggest that you do what MCDeth posted:

explain it in the short description, but not by callsign,

but by rank-structure:

Seargant = commander

Corporal = driver

Private = gunner

That way you would not have to explain it forEach tank,

and this would solve the impossible problem wink_o.gif

~S~ CD

i believe i'v seen 'named' units before, like what was put in the name field, instead of the the 'soldier', 'medic', LAW soldier'. i could be mistaken, and if i'm not i'd have no idea how to do it. but if you used chris deaths idea, but named each playable crew member. if you can do that, then you could give each crew man a name that says what he's going to be doing.