Sign in to follow this  
denoir

I have a dream..

40 years ago Martin Luther King made his famous " I have a dream" speech during the march on Washington which became a pivotal moment for the US civil rights movement.

Quote[/b] ]

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed - we hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal.

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave-owners will be able to sit down together at a table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a desert state, sweltering with the heat of injustice and oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today!

I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of interposition and nullification; one day right there in Alabama little black boys and little black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.

I have a dream today!

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight, and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together.

full text of the speech

So, do you think that this dream of his has become reality today,40 years later?

I doubt it, he would probably be very displeased with the Anglo VS Mid-East conflict the states are spearheading. wink_o.gif

I don't think this is just a cultural problem. Our very brain works on the principle of generalization. The most simple one is: Me good. Like me good. Not like me bad.

Plus we have a huge historical baggage that we carry and it will take several generations to overcome that. This is however not to say that no progress has been made. One huge step is that all people regardless of race are equal before the law. Well, at least in theory. But, that is a good start. While we do have a long way to go, I think that significant changes have been made the last 40 years.

I can't imagine that he'd be especially pleased with the active push for reverse discrimination in American higher education in the form of affirmative action.

Partially of course. Very displeased with some new events like I said.

I don't think this is just a cultural problem.  Our very brain works on the principle of generalization.  The most simple one is: Me good. Like me good. Not like me bad.

Plus we have a huge historical baggage that we carry and it will take several generations to overcome that. This is however not to say that no progress has been made.  One huge step is that all people regardless of race are equal before the law.  Well, at least in theory.  But, that is a good start.  While we do have a long way to go, I think that significant changes have been made the last 40 years.

Progress is indeed being made. I was going to post the link below in your previous thread about universalism, but could not be assed to write a decent introduction to it. I'll not do that this time either, but put it like this: it might not be the easiest (or best) text about postcolonialism on the Internet, but it has some value indeed. Maybe you already are familiar with this, but anyway its a good reading. The site also contains much else worthy some surfing time:

http://www.sou.edu/English....hay.htm

The perspective clearly has its downsides, but if you are unfamiliar with it, it definitely is not something to miss entirely. The postmodern (or if you want: relativistic) kind of perspectives clearly is also the most positive around when it comes to issues like culture etc IMO. I recon there are quite a few such text being read by the UN personnel, and hopefully also by national officials - it really contains much of the way of thinking of 'the future human natures' I believe and hope  wink_o.gif