Sign in to follow this  
Dauragon

Bad serial number given at setup

i got this error

"bad serial number given at setup" when i try to launch ofp

its the first time it happended, ofp worked fine before and i didnt change anything, i wanted to play again and got this error , i have bought the game and its the exact same as in the ofpr manual

please help. i dont want to reinstall.

Maybe the registery key got corrupted.

Reinstalling should be fine, it will not delete your addons or user folder...

Did you just reinstall it la day or two ago? Or did this message just pop up out of nowhere?

Hellfish, why don't you ever answer my PM's?

I feel oddly, hated..

Please respond, m8!

I've got a similar problem. I tried to install OFP on my new Computer. It seemed to work and I installed Resistance right afterwards. When I tried to update it to 1.85 I've got an error message that said OFP was not installed on my computer or that the installation was corrupt. I uninstalled OFP and installed it again. This time I tried to run OFP before installing Resistance, but it crashed when it began loading and I've got a message saying: "bad serial number given at setup".

I found this thread and reinstalled but it didn't help and I still get this error message.

What else can I do? sad_o.gif

What else can I do? sad_o.gif

clean your registry of all ofp stuff and install again rock.gif

just a wild guess, i´m not an expert in this things sad_o.gif

It was an issue with my windows user settings. OFP was all right. Thanks anyway Mr Burns. smile_o.gif

It was an issue with my windows user settings. OFP was all right. Thanks anyway Mr Burns. smile_o.gif

Could you please elucidate about what caused the problem and how you solved it?

I've got two different user accounts on my computer and forgot to give administrator status to my user. So I couldn't install new software. That's all. tounge_o.gif

I've got two different user accounts on my computer and forgot to give administrator status to my user. So I couldn't install new software.

So you're saying that as a result of not having Admin authority, you got the error message "bad serial number given at setup"? rock.gif

Yes.

The files were installed on my HD, but there was nothing from codemasters or OFP in my registry.

I installed it again from the other user account and it worked fine. smile_o.gif

I found out that message "Bad serial number given in setup" is missing CD-Key (in Hexadecimal format) in registry, I found that out when I tried only to copy OFP to another PC without installing properly.

I found out that message "Bad serial number given in setup" is missing CD-Key (in Hexadecimal format) in registry, I found that out when I tried only to copy OFP to another PC without installing properly.

Very few programs can be migrated to another system that way, simply because none of the registry information gets moved.

Any COM objects that have registered interfaces in the Windows Registry will thus not be available, nor will configuration information that would typically get saved in the Registry.

Also, in Windows XP (but not Windows 2000), access to branches of the registry can be restricted to individual users or groups, so it is entirely possible to run into a situation where a logged-in user doesn't have the rights to write to (or even read) registry keys.