Sign in to follow this  
brgnorway

Breaking news

Why is everyone speculating about terrorism?? They're called terrorists, meaning they cause terror, not minor inconveniences. Sheesh.

@ Aug. 15 2003,00:49)]Why is everyone speculating about terrorism?? They're called terrorists, meaning they cause terror, not minor inconveniences. Sheesh.

Are you suggesting the situation is a minor inconvenience?

rock.gif

This isn't a minor inconvenience at all. People could end up dead because of this. I wouldn't be surprised to see looting or panicking either.

Um... Chicago isn't without power. I'm typing this to you from Chicago and I'm watching the local news from Chicago which is asking if a problem like that can happen in Chicago. rock.gif

Um... Chicago isn't without power. I'm typing this to you from Chicago and I'm watching the local news from Chicago which is asking if a problem like that can happen in Chicago.   rock.gif

Well, I was wrong on that one - let's call it a minor inconvenience! smile_o.gif

This isn't a minor inconvenience at all.  People could end up dead because of this.  I wouldn't be surprised to see looting or panicking either.

Not my fault that people are stupid. And yes, it is a minor inconvenience to not have air conditioning or flourescent lights. I apologize for feeling no sympathy for people who can't cope with warm weather- wait, scratch that- no, I don't apologize. It's their own goddam lookout. Open a window, buy a fan and a bottle of water, and chill the hell out. Everything that really needs electricity is on battery and generator backup, so yes, it is a minor inconvenience.

Like streetlights? Nope, they don't work. Which of course will cause traffic jams, so you can't drive to buy water, or a fan. Plus now our emergency services can't get anywhere. Airports are closed. Hospitals are struggling to run on backup power. I shudder to think whats going to happen whent he sun goes down.

Yep, minor inconvenience.

And you know fans need electricity, right?

Like streetlights?  Nope, they don't work.  Which of course will cause traffic jams, so you can't drive to buy water, or a fan.  Plus now our emergency services can't get anywhere.  Airports are closed.  Hospitals are struggling to run on backup power.  I shudder to think whats going to happen whent he sun goes down.

Yep, minor inconvenience.

And you know fans need electricity, right?

can't drive? walk in the fresh air, dont stay behind your comp all day  tounge_o.gif

my desktop fan can be used with main electricity or batteriesin "emergency" case,i also have a thing like an UPS for computer but for my whole house, when electricity is gone it takes over, but its been more then 15 years the electricity hasnt gone yet here

can't drive? walk in the fresh air, dont stay behind your comp all day  tounge_o.gif

Yeah I'm gonna walk 3 miles down the road to the nearest store (which has no working electric register anyway) to buy a fan I can't use. tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Like streetlights?  Nope, they don't work.

What a tragedy. I suppose noone's ever heard of a traffic cop?

Quote[/b] ]so you can't drive to buy water, or a fan.

Say it with me now: walking. More power outages just might be the solution to our national obesity problem.

Quote[/b] ] Airports are closed.

No they aren't. Every single major airport in the affected areas reported that all essential systems were on backup power and service was continuing normally.

Quote[/b] ]are struggling to run on backup power.

Ahh, but they are running. And they'll continue to run until the main power grid is back up.

Quote[/b] ]I shudder to think whats going to happen whent he sun goes down.

People will have a chance to sleep on it, and with any luck they'll calm down to enough to realize that this isn't nearly as huge a problem as most spoiled and innefectual Americans are making it out to be.

Quote[/b] ]And you know fans need electricity, right?

not battery powered ones. What happened to all our terrorism stockpiles? You're telling me noone keeps candles, flashlights, batteries, or a few bottles of water in their homes anymore? Wow, people are dumber than I thought.

@ Aug. 14 2003,16:27)]
This isn't a minor inconvenience at all.  People could end up dead because of this.  I wouldn't be surprised to see looting or panicking either.

Not my fault that people are stupid. And yes, it is a minor inconvenience to not have air conditioning or flourescent lights. I apologize for feeling no sympathy for people who can't cope with warm weather- wait, scratch that- no, I don't apologize. It's their own goddam lookout. Open a window, buy a fan and a bottle of water, and chill the hell out. Everything that really needs electricity is on battery and generator backup, so yes, it is a minor inconvenience.

Geez, not everybody is young and in perfect health. Have you given any thought to the elderly, disabled, or people with respiratory diseases?

Hospitals are struggling to run on backup power.  

Most hospitals have huge deisel powered generators that are jump started by compressed air the moment power goes out. I would rather be in a hostpital than anywere else smile_o.gif

The generators actually run on compressed air untill the engines crank over and start  wink_o.gif

but this means you don't go on a nervous run around. I was at a bank when i heard this news, and some women said "terrorist are behind this." talk about jumping to conclusions.

anyways, if it were done by terrorists, I blame AQ - Al Quebec. they have been menacing threats and their plot to force rest of CAnada accidently spilled over across the border. tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]What a tragedy. I suppose noone's ever heard of a traffic cop?

_39403105_main2203.jpg

Quote[/b] ]Say it with me now: walking. More power outages just might be the solution to our national obesity problem.

Yes, make the overweight and elderly walk in the high heat and humidity. crazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]No they aren't. Every single major airport in the affected areas reported that all essential systems were on backup power and service was continuing normally.

The US Federal Aviation Administration halted flights into six airports: Three in the New York area, one in Cleveland, and two in Canada (Ottawa and Toronto).

Quote[/b] ]Ahh, but they are running. And they'll continue to run until the main power grid is back up.

At least until they're flooded with people suffering from heat stroke.

Quote[/b] ]People will have a chance to sleep on it, and with any luck they'll calm down to enough to realize that this isn't nearly as huge a problem as most spoiled and innefectual Americans are making it out to be.

Or they'll riot, loot, start fires for light.

Quote[/b] ]not battery powered ones. What happened to all our terrorism stockpiles? You're telling me noone keeps candles, flashlights, batteries, or a few bottles of water in their homes anymore? Wow, people are dumber than I thought.

You're the one trying to use an electric fan in a power outage.

my topic gets locked and this one not? wtf ? because bgrnorway has more post then me? rock.gifcrazy_o.gif

Anyone who is unable to cope with a little heat is not someone who is getting my sympathy. We've all ready established that I'm a callous asshole, yes? All the old folks I know have a window, some cold water on hand, and the brain that God gave them. And most of them can even combine those instruments into some kind of crazy scheme to get a little relaxation out of this whole mess. As for disabled people, they have non-disabled people to look out for them in the form of live-in care, or friends and family. Any disabled person without that kind assistance probably is in danger whenever the weather goes outside of the 60-75 degree area, and I can't do anything about that. As for folks with respiratory diseases, they're on battery backup: I helped a lady up at work the other day- her respiratory system was totally portable, complete with spare batteries.

I don't know what kind of car you have FSPilot, but most cars I've seen have headlights smile_o.gif

I don't know what kind of car you have FSPilot, but most cars I've seen have headlights smile_o.gif

maybe he broke them while trying to park between 2 cars biggrin_o.gif

I say, deploy the 82nd to NYC. Set up patrols, shoot looting assholes on sight. Then get power running and go home. Simple eh? All this speculation and conjecture by the news is really starting to piss me off.

As usual I'll go with Tex on everything else smile_o.gif

A good friend of mine just flew back from Canada after almost 12 months there...how's that for lucky timing.

i've seen in poor hot countries in latino america, they get power loose for more then 3 hours like every day, and these people dont go whining because there fan doesnt work rock.gif

and when i saw it happen in new york i was amazed at the panic it caused wtf

_39403105_main2203.jpg

Idiots. Look at 'em, they're like lemmings. So it's a bit more than a minor inconvenience for them, but they'll live. Unfortunately.

Quote[/b] ]Yes, make the overweight and elderly walk in the high heat and humidity.

That ain't what I said, and it's a blatant misrepresentation of the facts. Folks who can't get around were all ready where they're supposed to be, and hopefully, because they realize how vulnerable they are in situations like this, had the foresight to make sure that they're prepared for a situation like this.

Quote[/b] ]At least until they're flooded with people suffering from heat stroke.

Who wouldn't be suffering from heatstroke if they knew how to behave when the electricity isn't on. When did a conservative start feeling such sympathy for people acting stupidly?

Quote[/b] ]Or they'll riot, loot, start fires for light.

Good heavens, are we barabarians? In that case, fuck 'em, I have no sympathy for people who can't go 5 hours without power before they revert to savages. I swear, Americans are weak and spoiled! In that case, we ought to have major power outages all over the country on a weekly basis, or until we can start dealing with it like intelligent human beings.

Quote[/b] ]You're the one trying to use an electric fan in a power outage.

BATTERY POWERED- Or did you miss that part?

Anyhow, fuck it. I feel no desire to have an argument with FS, who represents about 70% of the things that are currently wrong with America. I'm going to go outside, where it's HOT. If I'm not back in 5 minutes, call the cops; I might have collapsed and gone into convulsions icon4.gif