Sign in to follow this  
ale2999

Handheld devices

Hey all, my bday is coming up and as every year I must give myself the best present  tounge_o.gif  this year I thought about an handheld device with which I could listen to music, play game, and browse the internet.

I was thinking about getting the new Palm 71 zire Palm 71 as it looks very good with a very fast processor and many feature.

Quote[/b] ]

processor and mp3 player capability

Battery Type  Polymer/Lithium-Ion

Connection Port(s)  1

CPU Speed  144 MHz

Display type  Transflective TFT

Expansion Slot  SD/MMC + Palm Universal Connector

Flash Upgradeable  No

Included In Box  Case, Cradle, Adapter, Software, Manual

Keyboard type  Onscreen

Memory Size (RAM)  16 MB

Modem Type  No

MP3 Capable  Yes

Operating System  Palm OS 5.2.1

Operating System Compatibility  Windows 95+, Mac

Pen Entry  Yes

Resolution  320 x 320 Pixels

ROM  Not Applicable

Spreadsheet  Optional

Voice Recording  No

Warranty  1 Year Limited Parts & Labour

Word processor  Optional

More Information

FEATURES:

Integrated Camera

640 X 480 resolution camera.

Free focus, auto exposure, auto white balance.

Unique sliding design gives instant access to camera.

Media Capable

Listen to MP3s watch videos, play games

Mono speaker and stereo headphone jack

Ultra-Sharp Color Screen

Easy-to-read, high-resolution (320x320), transflective colour display

Crisp, colour screen is the sharpest Palm screen to date.

5-Way Navigator

New one-handed 5-way Navigator (Up, Down, Left, Right, Select) makes it easy to quickly access applications and information

Affordable Power

ARM TI OMAP processor for multimedia and fast access to data

16 MB memory

Dual expansion (SD/MultiMedia card + Palm Universal Connector

Though I am not really sure whether to get a palm or to get a pocket pc. If you guys think pocketpc is better can u guide me a model as there are too many too choose from. Can you guys give me advantages vs disadvantages?

Which of the 2 platform has better quality 3rd party free programs (games etcetera).

Also I have a nokia 8390 with Ir, will I be able to browse the net and come to the forums using the cellphone to connect to an isp and the ir ports to connect the 2 devices? And guys take in consideration the money aspect as well, I am able to spend 450 canadians smile_o.gif

Thank you all for your help

haha come on there must be some1 with lots of technical knowledge that is willing to advise me tounge_o.gif

Spend the extra 150 bucks and get the Palm Tungsten|T2

It has the better screen than the Zire 71, comes with better software (Documents to GO) and has a full metal case, and slider than makes it much smaller to use.

Definately stay away from the Pocket PC OS. It licks in a big way compared to the Palm OS.

Palm OS has way more quality freeware. Mostly because developing for the Palm OS is free, whereas for PPC, you need to get a developer suite from MS that costs $$$.

PM me... I am a bit of a PalmOS guru, and I have a lot of experience with the Tungsten T

I have a Pocket PC and I have no problems with it... but Warin, you must not forget that Palm OS has been around much longer than the PPC OS... give it a chance, will yeh? What aboot it?

wee...

Pocket PC all the way. When I switched from Palm to Pocket PC, it was like a whole new world opened. The Palm is a toy, a PDA while the Pocket PC is a handheld computer.

If you only want to have a phonebook, calender and some very bad looking games, then Palm is ok. If you want a more serious platform, real interconnectivity with your PC, real usable programs, then go for a Pocket PC platform.

Another thing... you can even have a wireless access point (The wave of the futureâ„¢) and have your PPC communicate with it. I do this and it works great 8).

All pocket PC's are in color, as well... I haven't checked the Palm market lately but there is more choice in PPC for colors....

Or, if you have a few thousand to spare, get a Tablet PC or if you have a few thousand more get a refrigerator + wireless access point + tablet pc smile_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Sorry for the continued spam... but Pocket PC's also have many different attachments etc... for example, the inklink handwriting system. An infrared port connected to a tablet of paper, while using a special pen, can actually read what you write... and put it on the pocket pc... without even needing a tablet! It's only $99 too!

Another thing you can use is a GPS... how cool is that! A color GPS on your pocket PC!

Blah blah blah.

There is a reason Palm OS still holds 70+ percent of the market.

If all you want is games and movies, PPC is ok.  If you want something for productivity, Palm is still better.  I havent had a hard reset on my Palm, or any loss of data, in the 5 months I've run the T.  My buddy with an iPaq/Jornada had his one month and had to hard reset (and thus loose all currently non synced info) 3 times.  That was three months ago.  Since then he has the replacement Futureshop gave him do the lock up/hard reset once a month on average.

Palm OS is far more robust and stable. Period.

Quote[/b] ]If you want a more serious platform, real interconnectivity with your PC, real usable programs, then go for a Pocket PC platform

Please back this up with some fact.  I can do IR/Bluetooth/USB/Serial sync with my desktop, to either ACT or Outlook right out of the box with my Tungsten.  I can run any productivity program you want on my Palm, plus Documents to Go actually syncs better with Word and Excel than their PPC counterparts do smile_o.gif (No loss of formatting/tables/graphics). As for games, the ones I have work well and have great graphics. The T is actually higher res than pretty much all PPC units smile_o.gif

Sorry for the continued spam... but Pocket PC's also have many different attachments etc... for example, the inklink handwriting system. An infrared port connected to a tablet of paper, while using a special pen, can actually read what you write... and put it on the pocket pc... without even needing a tablet! It's only $99 too!

Another thing you can use is a GPS... how cool is that! A color GPS on your pocket PC!

Emm, that accesory actually came out for the Palm units first. The pad thing smile_o.gif

Plus there is the GPS add-on for Palm as well smile_o.gif

You dont ignore 70% market share smile_o.gif

wowowo, so like in anything else some ppl support one Os while others support others, while FSPILOT has his ideas  tounge_o.gif

What I need the palm for is: productivity, GOOD games, mp3 capability, video capability and internet connectivity. The Palm zire 71 looked good because as far as I know it can do all but the internet connectivity for a reasonable price. But I am willing for some1 to talk me into Pocketpc. before I ever considered handheld I always thought that pocket pcs are better, but I have just no idea. more detail denoir?

koolkid, I beat half of ofp cwc on a laptop : amd 400 mhz 98 megs of ram and a video card with 8 megs of ram

Call me nostalgic

abacus.jpg

HARD to do graphs with though. biggrin_o.gif

My etchasketch ownz your abacus. biggrin_o.gif

Now excuse me, I'm going to draw square boobs and pretend they're round.

-=Die Alive=-

errr ipod = music player only

Yep,and at that,I prefer this :

29.jpg

Iriver IHP100 smile_o.gif

or :

Philips_hdd100_2.jpg

Phillips HDD100

Ontopic though,you might want to take a look at the Sony Cliés as well,they seem pretty good imho.

after lots of research I am really thinking about getting the ipaq 2210. is a little bit out of my budget, but I heard reviews where they were raging how good this pocketpc is

I have an iPaq 3800 (I think). Go for it, they are great line of PPC's!