Sign in to follow this  
FatNinjaKid

Army field manuals

There is probably already a thread about this. If so could you post a link please, because I can't find it and I have been searching for over an hour. sad_o.gif

Anyway, I was  browsing FM 7-7 -THE MECHANIZED INFANTRY PLATOON AND SQUAD (APC)- and tried to build a SP mission using some of the tactics described there. What can I say - it sucks.

None of these tactics seems to work in OFP mad_o.gif

Did anybody else ever try that?

Field Manuals are developped for the US army , that's why their tactics don't work tounge_o.gif

j/k

Field Manuals generally give you the basics in each of the domains they talk about , but the rest is up to the soldier , the warrant or the officer

Field manuals' tactics don't work in OFP for several simple reasons :

- OFP AI isn't dign of human intelligence

- the OFP envirronement is not as dense and as usefull as the real life one

-edit-: the only US FM's i've came accross are the FM.21-75 , FM.3-5 and FM.5-100

the first being about basic infantry tactics , the second about NBC and the third about engineer ops

read 7-8 before you read 7-7 smile_o.gif

oh.. and ran described its limited useability in OFP smile_o.gif

All the fun Army Field Manuals are on Unconventional Warfare and Communications. :P

read 7-8 before you read 7-7 smile_o.gif

oh.. and ran described its limited useability in OFP smile_o.gif

There is also tons of field manuals here. Most of it don't make much sense to me...

But wouldn't it be cool if you could get some of these tactics to work in Flashpoint?

What config.cpp values would you have to change to get the enemy to behave like... well in the textbooks? wink_o.gif

Probably an increase sensitivity and ai-dispersion? rock.gif Or is there perhabs an island with natural features that would allow such tactics in MP games (suppressive fire etc) ?

Those field manuals look so cool! smile_o.gifsmile_o.gif  smile_o.gif

i just finished reading 1st chapter of FM7-7 and must admit that SunTzu was definitely a progressive man, coming with ideas thousands of years ago.

Chainofcommand mod might give you some experience of such. In defense section, I could not help thinking about ambushing soviets with resistance fighters in early stages of OFPR campaign.

For some reason i can`t get at the fm manuals on the link posted in the soviet tactics thread but i can if i go through a proxy so now i need to find one thats good enough to get to the FM pdfs rock.gif

Well, snYpir made some good mech infantry missions early on in OFP. But as Ralph said, CoC's Command Engine might let you do these better, but it wouldn't quite be as efficient as in real life. But it would be close.

I have emulated Rhodesian Fire Force tactics to great success in OFP, though. Especially in Bagel's Dynamic Vietnam Mission.

Basically, you are in an aircraft, with or without other soldiers, and you scout around for the enemy. In Bagel's missions, you usually fly up and down trails or scout out the villages. Once you find an enemy, you call in your reserve airmobile infantry (the Fire Forces) to fly in and create blocking positions along the enemy's route of advance. The enemy will run right into the ambush. Sometimes it works just as well if you fly the aircraft yourself and load up a squad. That way you can have an instant fire force available.

This concept allows you to secure huge areas of ground with relatively little forces. You don't become bogged down in holding villages - where I'd always get massacred. The only problem with it is that you're only one person and you can only scout at one place at one time. You'll quickly identify frequently used trails, and intercept a lot of enemy squads, but you can't be everywhere at once. With the updated CoC Command Engine, I hope to be able to emulate a larger-scale fire force in multiplayer. And heck, if Ebud ever wants to bless us with his Rhodesian units and with Bibmi's African militia we could almost have a real small-scale simulation of an African bush war! smile_o.gif

This is a game, not real life. Don't expect it to work in the game tounge_o.gif

This is a game, not real life. Don't expect it to work in the game tounge_o.gif

Don't expect it to work....yet.

I've read one of the Swedish ones, the basic one for the army guys (there are manuals specialized at areas, too, such as CQB) called Soldaten i Fält (means The Soldier in Field). Never had the energy to try the tactics out in OFP... and like you say, some stuff don't work in OFP anyway..

Yeah, they don't give out the up-to-date and detailed info to civilians. Have to pay some high school students to hack into the Pentagon to get the good stuff I guess.