Sign in to follow this  
@cero

Graphics card

Hi all.

I supose this is the right section to post this.

I need to get a new graphics card. I was thinking about a GForce 4 128 with TV out, that should work allright with OFP, shouldn't it?

The reason why I'm thinking on this card is because it will cost me between 45 an 55 British pounds, and I know I can afford that.

Do you guys have any sugestions on wihc one should work beter with OFP?

Thanks in advance.

@cero

That one is perfect, go ahead and get it. Don't dare getting a Radeon though mad_o.gif

PS: Offtopic was the right forum ;)

How much is that in american? My Geforce 4mx 420 works fine. But I would try to get a better card but my dell doesn't allow a AGP card. mad_o.gif

I have a GeForce4 Ti 4200 128mb And it runs fine.ran me about $160.00 US dollars.So I would guess that anything the same or bigger would be good.I also had a GeForce FX 5200 ULTRA AGP 128 8x card and I didnt like it.I benchmarked the 2 cards and the FX score was about 3000 lower than the Ti card.Whats your system specs?Thats goint to play a role as well.

moving to OT.

I have Gf4 ti4200. got it for 125 bucks and it works fine

edit: forget "MX" series for Gforce cards. usually not worth it.

Radeon 9700 Pro here. No complaints, but Nvidia's drivers are still better, no matter what you hear.

bear in mind that opf is a very cpu bound game

u would see far more results from a cpu upgrade smile_o.gif

I got a Gainward GeForcee4 Ti-4800SE (really a Ti-4400 with 8X AGP Support)

The gainward cards are a bit more expensive that other ti-4800SE's, but they are extremely overclockable and even comes with software that will overclock it for you. I paid $190(US) for mine awhile ago, but I bet you could grab one for alot less by now.

The Ti-4800SE comes clocked at 275mhz/550mhz, but I've been running mine at 315mhz/630mhz for months and have no problems.

Of course with a gf4 you won't get any "can't map memory" errors, or flashing textures like some *other* cards.

Hi all.

I supose this is the right section to post this.

I need to get a new graphics card. I was thinking about a GForce 4 128 with TV out, that should work allright with OFP, shouldn't it?

The reason why I'm thinking on this card is because it will cost me between 45 an 55 British pounds, and I know I can afford that.

Do you guys have any sugestions on wihc one should work beter with OFP?

Thanks in advance.

@cero

Mate, you can pick up a Ge-Force 4 Ti-4200 for about 80 quid if you shop around smile_o.gif

Check overclockers.co.uk, scan.co.uk and other online vendors, avoid ebay though.

smile_o.gif

As with everyone else, I suggest anything Nvidia. Any other brand off the shelf is too buggy. I have a G-Force 4 MX 420 and it works great. (Anything better on my PC would be a waste since I need a faster processor.)

@ June 26 2003,04:00)]Radeon 9700 Pro here. No complaints, but Nvidia's drivers are still better, no matter what you hear.

Same with me, but Ati is working on their drivers and they keep getting better and better. The catalyst 3.5 e.g. contains a lot of game improvements and fixes. Good work this one. smile_o.gif

Whats your system specs?Thats goint to play a role as well.

Well, I'm going to be runing an Intell Pentium4 1.7GHZ, I'll be able to run up to 2 GB of RAM, I still haven't buyed the RAM, and I'll probably go for something like 512megs.

I estill have to get the power suply and a cuple of bits and pices, but it won't take me long before I got this monster runing.

I know that I could put something major as graphics, but because I'm building this sistem from scrach I have to think about money.

Ex-Roning, thanks for the links, they are coming handy.

BTW, the Geforce4 I'm about is a 440 DDR 128Mb with TV out, and in Newport(where I live) they cost you between 45 and 59 quids, but I got the impression that you guys are going on about Geforce 4 4200 upwards.

I bin running an Emachinnes 600MHZ with 15 megs of inbuild and shared graphics, so far I been able to run OFP, Nogova lags like hell, but the most of the game runs ok, so I supose that a Geforce 4 440 should be much much muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch beter.

To be onest, I don't got a clue what the 440 is for wow_o.gif , but it must be important, cos the only difference between some of them is the 440 that go up to 4200 or whatever, and they cost you 3 times more than the one I'm about.

Sigh… not trying to start a flame war or anything but I would really like to hear why nVidia drivers are better. Have you read all the things about nVidia and their drivers lately?

There is nothing wrong with ATIs drivers now. They have an excellent driver team that communicates with there customers over at Rage3D´s forum and they have a beta program that see to it that drivers get even more stable before public release.

I’m not a “ATI fanboyâ€, I agree that GF4200 is a great card and it does not cost much now (don’t get a GF4 MX or a FX5200). It’s just that people should not listen to thing like “avoid all other brands because they suckâ€, it’s simply not true! Go to a professional hardware site like Beyond3D, Anandtech or HardOCP and do some reading.

@ June 26 2003,03:00)]Radeon 9700 Pro here. No complaints, but Nvidia's drivers are still better, no matter what you hear.

Although the NVidia drivers are tweaked to make them perform better in benchmarking tools. Bad boys!

I've always bought Nvidia, but ATi's new cards are outperforming the new Nvidia ones, and cost less. Unless Nvidia canget backup to there old standards when it comes to hardware, I don't think I'll be looking at a new one any time soon.

And don't get me started on Creative products. The worst driver support I have EVER encountered. Its a complete joke!

Sigh… not trying to start a flame war or anything but I would really like to hear why nVidia drivers are better. Have you read all the things about nVidia and their drivers lately?

There is nothing wrong with ATIs drivers now. They have an excellent driver team that communicates with there customers over at Rage3D´s forum and they have a beta program that see to it that drivers get even more stable before public release.

I’m not a “ATI fanboyâ€, I agree that GF4200 is a great card and it does not cost much now (don’t get a GF4 MX or a FX5200). It’s just that people should not listen to thing like “avoid all other brands because they suckâ€, it’s simply not true! Go to a professional hardware site like Beyond3D, Anandtech or HardOCP and do some reading.

Radeons work ok out of the box with everything except OFP and Unreal Engine games. They're also slower for Q3 engine games, but who plays those anymore anyway? All the new games coming out take Radeons into consideration. As seen on this very forum, people have gotten their Radeons to work with OFP after some tweaking and the right driver.

At this point, it's probably wiser to get a Radeon 9500 or 9600 than a GF4 because the GF4 is missing dx9 shader support, is slower than the ATI cards, and costs only about $30 less on average. Sapphire is a good brand of Radeon cards if you plan to buy one. You can get the 4200 is you're really low on $$$, but it's going to suffer in visual quality when playing HL2, Doom3 and OFP2, they will all use the newer shaders.

I am in the midst of upgrading too, so I've been doing some homework. smile_o.gif I was going to get the GF 5600 Ultra 2.0, but even that has been shown to be slower than the 9500 Pro, which costs less and has the same dx9 support. I might still get the 5600, only if manufacturers improve it more than the reference model and if it can be significantly overclocked.

Bah, you want a card that can support this!

800_fpres_6.jpg

or

800_fpres_5.jpg

This is the geezer. Its more of a designers card, and the price rflects it. Nice though!

Oh Tovarish...

Forgotten_M02.jpg

Swish!

Then again, why not go the whole hog!

Now thats an expensive setup!

The problem with “flickering shadows†that Radeon cards had with OFP was solved in the Cat 3.1 driver. I have had no problem with OFP since then on my 9700pro card. About problem with unreal engine games I’m not sure what you mean exactly. I have played UT2003, Unreal2 and Postal2 (all demos) and they run great on my system (especially UT2003 and Unreal2).

The only game I have some problems with (low frame rates during firefights) is RvS but I don’t believe it’s because of the Radeon card, its more likely just poorly optimized code.

They should just do it already! Install plugs in the backs of our heads and beam us on to Nogova.

Radeons work ok out of the box with everything except OFP and Unreal Engine games. They're also slower for Q3 engine games, but who plays those anymore anyway? All the new games coming out take Radeons into consideration. As seen on this very forum, people have gotten their Radeons to work with OFP after some tweaking and the right driver.

At this point, it's probably wiser to get a Radeon 9500 or 9600 than a GF4 because the GF4 is missing dx9 shader support, is slower than the ATI cards, and costs only about $30 less on average. Sapphire is a good brand of Radeon cards if you plan to buy one. You can get the 4200 is you're really low on $$$, but it's going to suffer in visual quality when playing HL2, Doom3 and OFP2, they will all use the newer shaders.

I am in the midst of upgrading too, so I've been doing some homework.  smile_o.gif  I was going to get the GF 5600 Ultra 2.0, but even that has been shown to be slower than the 9500 Pro, which costs less and has the same dx9 support. I might still get the 5600, only if manufacturers improve it more than the reference model and if it can be significantly overclocked.

excuse me, I am not a fanboy, but I am speaking through experience. I have an ti 4200 which outperforms ati radeon 9800 in games like Raven shield which by the way was developed taking ATI in mind (is says in the menu lol).

Ati cards are wonderful but what is the point when the speed is good only in benchmark and not in the games? Nvidia's have always been a secure buy....

Please guys - lets not have an Ati/Nvidia flame fest. I am one of those Ati haters (have has bad experiences with multiple Ati models), but some people love their ati's and have no problems, so more power to them.

Id recommend hopping over to the troubleshooting forum and browsing the various threads related to Ati and Nvidia. You'll probably even be able to find threads about the particular card you are thinking about buying.

I posted a poll about Ati cards awhile back that you might want to have a look at.

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....17;st=0

I need to get a new graphics card.

You better buy nothing smaller than a GeForce 4 Ti4200.

MX Cards are really slow and not up to date.

And don´t buy GeForce FX Cards like FX5200 or FX5600.

The only good thing about them is DX9 Support, but that doesn´t help you with OFP.

Go get an Ti4200 128MB with AGP8x support.

It should be fun until OFP2 comes out. crazy_o.gif

MfG Lee wink_o.gif

The 4200 series is indeed very good. It`s good performance for "middle"-tech PCs for a cheap price.

By "middle"-tech PCs I mean around 800mhz - 1,4ghz. smile_o.gif

excuse me, I am not a fanboy, but I am speaking through experience. I have an ti 4200 which outperforms ati radeon 9800 in games like Raven shield which by the way was developed taking ATI in mind (is says in the menu lol).

Ati cards are wonderful but what is the point when the speed is good only in benchmark and not in the games? Nvidia's have always been a secure buy....

This is exactly what I mean. People that saying it perform well in benchmarks but not in games. Its another “rumor†that is not true.

Here are some pretty good reviews of the new ATI/nVidia cards. They are not from any of the top hardware sites but it is pretty new reviews that bring up the recent driver cheats that have been discovered.

http://www.gamepc.com/labs....Ftest=1

http://www.gamespy.com/hardware/june03/videocardshootout/

http://www.ukgamer.com/article.php4?id=5&page=1

Read those and tell me ATI only perform well in benchmarks programs.

Again, I’m not an ATI fanboy but please don’t say things like that since it’s not true. Don’t discourage people from buying ATI card just because of their bad history with drivers. Much have change in this last year.

"Dont be hating" smile_o.gif I am just stating what I have observed in the last 2 years. Check troubleshooting forums here. Also Ravenshield www.raven-shield.com was developed keeping in mind Ati cards, and I can tell you that there is manyyyyyyy 9800 and 9700 owners that are mad like crazy because their cards have trouble rendering particles (smoke) and the game in general. I that have a ti 4200 run the game way faster than most of those individuals. If Ati would be reliable it would sure be a sure shot especially the 9500 card that can be pushed to 9700 level. But as long that there is such high of likelyhood that the card wount work with my GAMES as it should then I will not recommend it. I am all for competition as the prices always go down. My bud is an ati fanboy who has faster cpu and a radeon carder "faster" than mine who has stopped telling me his games run faster because I showed him the truth....