Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Developer post in this thread.  

Thread: Aae addons/missions

Yeah, i might of got it wrong.
    If it works that way then im happy, required in config or sqm sounds good.
    Thanks

Sergeant
    Author of the Thread
    EDIT: Suma answered the Q

3.   Click here to go to the next Developer post in this thread.   #13
    Most important aspect of AAE is ease of use. I am convinced that for this we need to keep addon dependecies at the minimal possible level.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]But if making the mission using an addon that is not required in the [] config makes the package non-AAE compliant, its seems silly when the mission would be better of for it, and the players first experience of the addon would be more enjoyable.
    There is nothing that would prevent you creating such a mission outside the addon, distribute it separetelly and mark it so that it requires both addons. The intention is that you need to be able to install the addon and play it demo mission to see the addon in action (no matter how simple the demo mission is), not having to solve any addon dependencies.
    Ondrej Spanel, BIS Lead Programmer

4.   Click here to go to the next Developer post in this thread.   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by (Nagual @ June 24 2003,11:55)
    So what is the bis stance on music in aae missions?
    Are we allowed to use custom music, or will that bring about such serious legal issues that bis cant dare list them on the aae page?
    If you mean by custom music a music you don't have rights to distribute publicely, the answer is:

we'll never list any link to a file that we positively know it violates someone elses copyright.

And generally, it's a bad idea to copy someones music and use it within a file that you want to share over the internet. You clearly violate copyright of the author of the music by doing it. I understand a movie soundtracks or professional bands are producing top quality music and it adds lot to the missions but it doesn't justify for violating copyright of its creators.
    Marek Spanel - CEO www.bistudio.com

Sergeant
    Author of the Thread
    I believe in these cases addonmakers can use computer reworked .mp3 versions for mission soundtracks. Not very high quality though, but atleast you do not use the original copyrighted version.

Sergeant Major

Quote Originally Posted by (andersgrim @ June 25 2003,20:43)
    I believe in these cases addonmakers can use computer reworked .mp3 versions for mission soundtracks. Not very high quality though, but atleast you do not use the original copyrighted version.
    I am not so sure about that. The copyright protects until 70 years after the death of the artist. Until then, published copies (or cover versions) must have his permission (or of the label, that represents him). However, I am not sure about all the details. You surely can use an own version of 'The ride of the Valkyrie' by Wagner. However, I am not sure about a record of it conducted by the London Symphonic Orchestra...
    The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement.
    But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
    Niels Bohr

i7 920 @3.7GHz, OCZ 3x2GB DDR3 7-7-7 1600 @740/1480MHz, MSI X58 Pro-E,
    Sapphire Radeon HD7850 2GB @1020/1200MHz, Creative X-Fi Music, Windows 7 Home Premium
    640GB WD Caviar Blue and 250GB Samsung SATA2 HDDs, 1xSATA DVD RW, 1x IDE DVD ROM
    Antec 750W (3.3V+5V 170W max., 4x12V 25A, with 62A max. combined), A+case CS-188AF
    Samsung 2343BW 2048x1152, Logitech G5 Refresh Mouse, Cherry CyMotion Expert Keyboard

Sergeant
    Author of the Thread
    I am sorry. I meant to say midi versions.
    <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">
    I believe in these cases addonmakers can use computer reworked midi versions for mission soundtracks. Not very high quality though, but atleast you do not use the original copyrighted version.
    [/QUOTE]
    okay now?

8.   This is the last Developer post in this thread.   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by (andersgrim @ June 24 2003,21:43)
    You believe in something that is not true in most cases.

Converting the music into any format still doesn&#39;t mean it&#39;s not copyrighted. Public peformances of any kind are usually forbidded when you buy music CD (unless very rare case when the work is declared as public domain) and you would have to contact the publisher of the music and the author if you want to give their creation in any way to public.

Sergeant
    Author of the Thread
    Oh...i thought midi files was just as mobile phone-ringtones - that they are just based on a well-known melody. Yea, well afterall those large music files add a lot of unnecessary megs to the mission.pbo&#33;
    So with TheAvonLady&#39;s AMORE system, a user adds his/her soundtrack and at the same time he/she agree to a policy saying that it can be freely distributed in any OF mission then?&#33;
    But i get you, and i bet that is the reason why Seventh is behind all the melodies in OF

Quote Originally Posted by (andersgrim @ June 26 2003,13:44)
    Oh...i thought midi files was just as mobile phone-ringtones - that they are just based on a well-known melody.
    This kindof depends on the copyright law you have on your country, but at least in Finland its perfectly legal to "play again" some song an distribute it as you wish, ie. you cannot copyright a melody. (Lyrics for example are a different story, thats why cover songs usually dont have their lyrics printed on the cd booklet)

The whole thing is different if you take an existing recording and copy it around. It doesnt matter if it loses quality or is in different format, but if its comes from a copyrighted source its illegal to copy it without permission.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast