Sign in to follow this  
scimitar

Default 1st person view is over the left shoulder

I've looked everywhere but can't find any other mention of this problem. For some reason the default 1st person view is over the left shoulder instead of directly ahead with the weapon in view. When I move it's at an angle to the direction that I'm looking in. When I try to move my view to the right it snaps back to the left as soon as I stop moving the mouse. I can tell that I'm looking over the left shoulder because I can just see a bit of my shoulder on the lower left part of the screen. If I enable free mouse look I can pan to the right and see my weapon but it snaps back to the left as soon as I disable it. If I bring up the iron sights or use a weapon with optics the view is normal. I've tried many things including un-installing and reinstalling and nothing seems to fix the problem. Right now the game is unplayable. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

System and Game info:

OFP GOTY edition upgraded to v1.91 running at 800X600X32

PIII600 / 256MB RAM

GeForce 4 MX420 / Det 44.03

WIN98SE

That's not the problem. I already searched that FAQ. When I enable mouse look mode I can pan my head around. When I disable it my head snaps back to an over the shoulder position.

Curious. When you switch to 3rd person view, does it show you with your head to the side or facing straight?

It appears to be slightly to the left in 3rd person view. The mouse look mode problem was my first suspicion too but that's not it. It's really wierd. I've tried lots of things like changing resolutions and such. I changed it to 1024X768X32 and loaded it and it seemed fine but when I changed it back to 800X600X32 it was messed up again. That lead me to believe it might be a resolution or vid driver problem. I tried switching it to 1024X768X32 again to see if it was normal but the view was still over the shoulder the next time I loaded the game. That one time when I first switched it and restarted the game was the only time the view was normal. I emailed support. Maybe they can shed some light on the problem.

Let's try something less radical than a reinstall.

Backup the following two files, then delete them:

\OperationFlashpoint\FlashPoint.cfg

\OperationFlashpoint\users\yourPlayerName\userinfo.cfg

Then run the Preferences program and click AUTODETECT.

Then try starting OFP.

Deleting the config files didn't help. And I already tried a complete reinstall. I un-installed and went through my registry and deleted anything referring to Flashpoint before I reinstalled and it was still messed up when I loaded it. I'm beginning to think it might be hardware related. Something with my video or mouse drivers or joystick or something.

It's definitely joystick related. When I removed my joystick in the control panel and reloaded the game the view was normal. Funny thing is that I suspected the joystick originally and disabled it in-game but that didn't work. If it's disabled in-game then why in the world would the game still recognize it. I've got to try and find some way to get the game to work with the joystick connected though because I play other games besides OFP. I'm gonna gonna see if I can find new drivers and maybe try recalibrating and such to see if I can get it all to work. If not hopefully support can come up with something that will help.

I think I got it fixed. Reinstalling the joystick drivers and recalibrating seemed to fix the problem. Probably my stick was just outta calibration. I do seem to recall it pulling to the left in the last game I used it in. Thanks for your help.

Actually I was a bit premature about having it all corrected. While it's definitely a joystick problem just reinstalling the joystick and recalibrating didn't exactly fix it. I'm using an older analog joystick (CH F16 Combatstick). When I install the drivers it gives me two choices for the Combatstick. When I choose the first driver OFP works fine but the joystick doesn't move to the right in any other games. When I choose the second driver the joystick works fine in all other games but it snaps my view to the left in OFP. Disabling the joystick using the in-game option has no effect whatsoever. Does anyone know of any way to make OFP ignore the joystick completely? The joystick might be a bit old but I've got a whole setup (stick, pedals & throttle) that works fine in everything but OFP and I don't plan to dump it just for this game. I hate the idea of not being able to use my joystick at all in OFP though so I'm hoping support will come through with something.

There is a setting in the options menu, in the control menu, something like "disable joystick" or something. Restart OFP after disabling smile_o.gif

Thanks Blackdog. Restarting after disabling it seemed to fix the problem. Before I didn't restart and just re-enabled it after changing the setting and finding that it didn't seem to work. I shoulda known that it would require a restart but after finding that you could change resolutions and such without restarting I didn't figure it was necessary.