Sign in to follow this  
Corporal Ice

CTF Discussion

In Capture the flag missions, sometimes I place a Satchell in the Flag´s ground and wait until the enemy comes. When they come I let them see the flag going down. Then, when it touches his hands I activate the Satchell. I always advise it:"Please, do not take our flag, it harms". And I never do it more than two times in the same game.

Yesterday, some people told me: "that is camping!".

I think that´s only a nice joke, and a real tactic, cause I don´t go elsewhere to activate the bomb when I see "Flag captured" (that will be cheating, I think). I wait there till I see it!.

Do you think it is a nice joke, a good tactic or cheating?

Please, I want to know different point of view about this

From a non-camping ex-quaker I have no problem with that scenario. I never had a problem with quake 'campers'.

Unless you have a binding agreement with the geekwad clan you are playing, you can do any d*amn thing you want to.

"CAMPING" has been, and always will be, the cry of the anal that just got their head blown off.

Happy trails, I say.

I use it all the time, telling some one they are not allowed to use a weapon basicaly defeats the purpose of the game

1 they can use it as well

2 it's not hard to find the guy with the switch and kill him

3 never just send ONE man to get the flag lol

If you can do it within the rules of the game its ok in my book...people b*tch about respawn camping too...if it is important to you...keep a guard there to ensure that the enemy can not approach the position rather than running into the middle of the map and emptying all your clips. People need to remember that this isnt a Frag Fest. If someone calls you a camper...take that as a compliment...it means you figured out that standing straight up and running around balls out only gets you whacked.

The respawn area camping is a bit more critical imho. Just check the new CTF mission, where the US respawn area is covered with bushes and behind a 'hill', but the russian one on an open slope. I played it offline, just got the sniper rifle, went some steps up the hill and could control the russians respawn area...

However, camping at the flag is a different thing, since its the opponents risc to enter a nonsecured area. Like the other official map, were the flag is next to this shed with an ammo crate inside - what would have been the idea of the mission designer??? smile.gif

1st

in a tactical environment there is nothin as rushing or camping or whatever as long the environment is realistic as far as possbile (weapons, health, physics,...)

2nd

i HATE ctf!

CTF is a great game-type for deathmatch-games like quake halflife or other ones.

But for tactical motivated people its like a slap in the face!

Why?

Well, just imagine this scenario as it can happen everywhere:

You know that you can get flag but can make only the "point" if your own flag is still in your base. now a nasty player could do this - he takes your flag, take it to his own and gets the point for it, THEN a teammate does take AGAIN the enemy flag and runs away - AND I MEAN he runs away and just hides! so the enemy team has NO POSSIBLE WAY to make a point!

OFP were made for people who are fed up with deathmatch-alike games.

We do like coop missions, team vs team, lastmanstanding and so on but we do NOT like CTF. CTF causes just stupid deathmatch scenarios because the "soldiers" dont care for their lifes! as long the can respawn within a second....

3rd

remove CTF and add some userful tactical types as:

hamburger hill

last man standing

team vs team (its already i know but there is still a lot room for enhancements)

co-op mission

sincerly

Simon aka [uSR]General.Lange O-11 USAR 1BN 5th

yea ok then why is CTF the most played?

and even if that guy runs and hides you can actually still track him down

thats tactics baby YA!

(Edited by RN Malboeuf at 9:53 am on Nov. 20, 2001)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from RN Malboeuf on 7:28 am on Nov. 20, 2001

thats tactics baby YA!<span id='postcolor'>

LOL how BABY! HOW!?

imagine a sniper in a helicopter 10km away and then 5 km in a forest or whatever...

HOW YOU WANNA TRACK HIM DOWN?! (in 15minutes?! or 30minutes?!) maybe in recruit-mode (LOL) but not in vet mode BABY!

searching for him the whole island may take hours to complete but on ctf server you only have 15 minutes or 30minutes but not hours. EXPLAIN! we are really excited in learning sumthin new by your awesome "tactical" experience. LOL

before talking bulls**t think first

Simon

(Edited by Lange at 7:43 am on Nov. 20, 2001)

the problem is that they CANT disarm the satchel by shooting it before getting the flag..the only thing they can do is to find and kill you, but since the range for the detonator is several hundred meters you could be anywhere, and if it is a town its even worse....

AND if they do find and kill you they still dont know if it is safe to get the flag since they dont know if it was your satchel in the first place.....

sure you can use all methods in the game but that one gives the player no choise but to commit suicide when trying to get the flag.....its a working tactic, but id advise you not to use it to keep the game active...if both teams do it then a ctf game turns to deathmatch, no1 is willing to kill themselfs for that flag and risk finding another satchel there when they respawn and get back....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from RN Malboeuf on 2:30 pm on Nov. 19, 2001

I use it all the time, telling some one they are not allowed to use a weapon basicaly defeats the purpose of the game

1 they can use it as well

2 it's not hard to find the guy with the switch and kill him

3 never just send ONE man to get the flag lol

<span id='postcolor'>

I don´t think that "they can use it as well" is a good reason. But I like the third point... lol

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Suchey on 5:22 pm on Nov. 19, 2001

If you can do it within the rules of the game its ok in my book...people b*tch about respawn camping too...if it is  important to you...keep a guard there to ensure that the enemy can not approach the position rather than running into the middle of the map and emptying all your clips. People need to remember that this isnt a Frag Fest.  If someone calls you a camper...take that as a compliment...it means you figured out that standing straight up and running around balls out only gets you whacked.

<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, it seems to be there is a "political acepted" way of fighting CTF. I Don´t like that way. Squads combat is a mixture between discipline and creativity.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from WhoCares on 5:48 pm on Nov. 19, 2001

The respawn area camping is a bit more critical imho. Just check the new CTF mission, where the US respawn area is covered with bushes and behind a 'hill', but the russian one on an open slope. I played it offline, just got the sniper rifle, went some steps up the hill and could control the russians respawn area...

However, camping at the flag is a different thing, since its the opponents risc to enter a nonsecured area. Like the other official map, were the flag is next to this shed with an ammo crate inside - what would have been the idea of the mission designer??? smile.gif

<span id='postcolor'>

I don´t like camping at the respawn area. It kills the spirit of fight itself....

But There is a huge difference between camping at the respawn area and defending the flag.

I´m sure that mission designer thought about defending (otherway that ammo crate isn´t usefull).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Lange on 7:25 am on Nov. 20, 2001

1st

in a tactical environment there is nothin as rushing or camping or whatever as long the environment is realistic as far as possbile (weapons, health, physics,...)

2nd

i HATE ctf!

CTF is a great game-type for deathmatch-games like quake halflife or other ones.

But for tactical motivated people its like a slap in the face!

Why?

Well, just imagine this scenario as it can happen everywhere:

You know that you can get flag but can make only the "point" if your own flag is still in your base. now a nasty player could do this - he takes your flag, take it to his own and gets the point for it, THEN a teammate does take AGAIN the enemy flag and runs away - AND I MEAN he runs away and just hides! so the enemy team has NO POSSIBLE WAY to make a point!

OFP were made for people who are fed up with deathmatch-alike games.

We do like coop missions, team vs team, lastmanstanding and so on but we do NOT like CTF. CTF causes just stupid deathmatch scenarios because the "soldiers" dont care for their lifes! as long the can respawn within a second....

3rd

remove CTF and add some userful tactical types as:

hamburger hill

last man standing

team vs team (its already i know but there is still a lot room for enhancements)

co-op mission

sincerly

Simon aka [uSR]General.Lange O-11 USAR 1BN 5th

<span id='postcolor'>

I don´t like CTF too much, but it´s a good game, because in multiplayer games it is really difficult to find a good co-op game. Players hardly admit the orders of the commander (everyone runs and become a sniper), and (even worse) there aren´t good commanders out there. I´m not a good commander, but I had my real training as one (Corporal, not an officer), and I tryed to act as a true commander in a mission 5 against 5. The players who acted at snipers running everywhere in the last mission accepted this ime the command. And we kick the others in a really easy way. Ambushing, envolving, givin coberture fire, supressing. That game was cool!!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Pete on 12:11 pm on Nov. 20, 2001

the problem is that they CANT disarm the satchel by shooting it before getting the flag..the only thing they can do is to find and kill you, but since the range for the detonator is several hundred meters you could be anywhere, and if it is a town its even worse....

AND if they do find and kill you they still dont know if it is safe to get the flag since they dont know if it was your satchel in the first place.....

sure you can use all methods in the game but that one gives the player no choise but to commit suicide when trying to get the flag.....its a working tactic, but id advise you not to use it to keep the game active...if both teams do it then a ctf game turns to deathmatch, no1 is willing to kill themselfs for that flag and risk finding another satchel there when they respawn and get back....

<span id='postcolor'>

That is a great problem. I have been asking for a deactivate bomb or mine option (enemy ones, i know U can deactivate yours). It is really necesary.

I think that option will change lots of home-made-tactics in OPF.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from RN Malboeuf on 7:28 am on Nov. 20, 2001

yea ok then why is CTF the mos played?

thats tactics baby YA!

<span id='postcolor'>

I think people likes CTF cause it´s a good blend between co-op and individual game types.

@Pete: This might be a prob with few players, that's true. But then you can add some AIs and he might blow up one of them (CTF with two players only might be boring anyhow). Satchel is not that worse, since he has to go to the flag himself to place it, what makes him vulnerable. A sniper would be a bigger prob.

With a Team-CTF you must expect, that someone left behind to protect the flag. And in a common CTF it's a tactic to wait for the enemy closing in, kill him and then take the flag by yourself, knowing that it's less dangerous with one less in the area. And if you respawn and nobody has taken the flag - well, now you know, that there is someone around waiting for you...

As I said before, only respawn area camping is bad, since you can't control the way you enter it (except if you avoid to be killed wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Lange

<span id='postcolor'>

Sorry you have not played OFP enough then yo know how it's done, any player can be track and trianglulated when the Squad players have extensive Map and member location knowlage

with in moments of the flag captuer several members will begin traking, the stolen flag, they know thier location and other members location by communicating

Thus ruling each other out as a target

then that will leave the Flag Man, two - three members will track him and either cut him off or force him to fight so a sniper can get him

I have never lost a Flag's positions

if you know your stuff it's actually quite easy

Don't every say it's impossible because of 1 little fact I wont tell you about, you'll have to learn it for your self

There are many ways to protect the flag owner... It does require of cooperative tactics and trained coms between atackers. But I think that defenders do need the same to track the flagman.

Respawn camping = bad and spoils all fun

Satcheling flags.... hmmm its by the rules... but i think it should be changed (not being able to satchel the area near the flag in a 50 meter radius or something like that)

I mean come on.... 5 people hiding in bushes waiting to detonate their bombs at their flag is nonsense.

Thats my opinion

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Corporal Ice on 12:52 pm on Nov. 20, 2001

yea ok then why is CTF the mos played?

thats tactics baby YA!

<span id='postcolor'>

I think people likes CTF cause it´s a good blend between co-op and individual game types.

<span id='postcolor'>

well, I think (!) that most people do liek CTF because they dont have to use their brain and following strict orders...

ctf is NOT realistic and thats why it should removed from ofp.

When im on the field i CANNOT respawn when i die - so why ctf? ctf were made to make ofp popular to the WRONG people.

to be honest there are enough ctf adoptions out there so keep ofp free from this s**t and enhance REAL battles between teams. remove jumpin objects and so on instead adding stupid types as CTF.

CTF causes DEATHMATCH (history proves!)

or in other words how many soldiers do YOU know which do play CTF and being disciplined creative brave soldiers in the same?! right they dont exist.

kick CTF

Simon

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from RN Malboeuf on 4:01 pm on Nov. 20, 2001

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Lange

<span id='postcolor'>

Sorry you have not played OFP enough then yo know how it's done, any player can be track and trianglulated when the Squad players have extensive Map and member location knowlage

with in moments of the flag captuer several members will begin traking,  the stolen flag, they know thier location and other members location by communicating

Thus ruling each other out as a target

then that will leave the Flag Man, two - three members will track him and either cut him off or force him to fight so a sniper can get him

I have never lost a Flag's positions

if you know your stuff it's actually quite easy

Don't every say it's impossible because of 1 little fact I wont tell you about, you'll have to learn it for your self

<span id='postcolor'>

NONSENSE!

áll you say is that you can track him down IF YOU KNOW where he is - LOL! kidding?!

AND HOW do you track him down WITHOUT known HIS position?! dont know what games you played before but ofp maps are d*amn large.

For EVERY Defense tyoe you showing me i can give an attack-type which would have success to fraud the game as i described some posts ago.

But the core is always the same.

IF THEY WANT to steal the flag AND to keep it hidden THEY will have success. dont expect recruits gamin, just expect vets playin which know how to dissapear!

im a bit dissapointed that you did not find the clue yourself well here it is: the best way to avoid those fraud is - well, it must not be neccessary that the flag is in your base when makin a point with the enemy flag.

and to the satchel discussion:

you can make a lot of modifications and rules to ctf. but there WILL ALWAYS be one who camps on the respawn point.

the only modification which would make sense would be automatic machineguns who are unbreakable (like TFC) this would at least guarantee save passage to respawned troops. well, just an idea. wink.gif

Simon

Mal is so selindulged it's funny. I think he's got to vbe the cockiest fag on these forums, and he's not all that good, I know better than him. lol get a life Mal, You treat this game like real life, it cracks me up, like if you were to win the game you'd think that you yourself has won a war. You take things to serious in this game my pathetic little friend, I don't see how you can have any fun playing if all your worried aobut is getting the most kills.

ok you guys done yet?

you can track any one in OFP, every advanced player in OFP knows this

so I'll let you newbies get more and more mad at me as I keep killing you to the point you call me a cheater and then if your lucky some one will clue you in as how this done!

seya Flamers

RN is coming to the Radish server this whole week

I'll talk to angry Radish I'm determined to make sure your lame ass doesn't ruin my fun wink.gif I'm glad to hear you're such an "expert" though and so advanced yet your brain is still stuck in "newbie" mode. When will you realise your 27 and there arwe more importnant things everyone notices you're a loser. so drop the BS.