Sign in to follow this  
Uziyahu--IDF

The "lost brothers" are alive!

Just want everyone to know that the mod that would not die is still alive... the "Lost Brothers" mod.

Need talented people who produce results.

Corresponded with Vipersheart, today. He's at least got weekends off, now, and a notebook computer.

http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/idfmods/

...is our current base of operations.

--Uziyahu-IDF

http://www.idfsquad.com/

hope he finishes the us special forces pack

that addon has potential

especially his seals and marineforce recon

Me so happy!

smile_o.gif

H&K pack is one of my favs!

EDIT: But what happened to Noone(also of Lost brothers)? He was making great stuff and just kind of vanished.

Maybe an updated HK pack compatibile with JAM?

was messing around with the HKpack2 today, cause i remembered all the special forces in there, and i noticed that the marine force recon are nearly identical to the SJB special reaction team

where they or are they still working together? there were few differences, the hk one has his helmet on his side, while the sjb one doesnt, and the pistol holsters are in different places, but thats bout it, and the textures look the same

and yes the hkpack2 could be great with just a few bug fixes, some units i cant even use from it, and some have lod problems and some just arnt completly textured

well, im not accusing anybody of anything, just wondering what the similarities are between the SJB SRT and the hkpack2 units

the SJB marine force recon units are the exact same things, but just with new SJB weapons, they asked for permission and it was given biggrin_o.gif

what about their merkava ??

I would really like to see this finished. tounge_o.gif

It would be great of the group could develop some of the other armoured vehicles the IDF use.  wink_o.gif

I agree. The Lost Brothers Mod team was working on a Merkava MBT but I'm not sure what became of that. Veit (KKB) are you still lurking here?? I really hope that some progress has been made with the Merkava tank or if you guys are stuck, that you allow someone with experience creating tanks help you guys out with it. It would be so awesome to at least have a Merkava and then perhaps a Zelda APC (RPG proof). There is already at least one good IDF infantry addon although I think it's Pre-Resistance so they don't use handguns, but still no biggie. It would be lovely to also see some of the IDF troops with those wierd bags they wear over their helmets. From what I understand it's a type of urban cammo to help breakup the outline of a helmet. Anyhoo... that and IDF troops wearing bodyarmor would be awesome.

All that is then needed is a retextured Apache, F15, and F16 Aircraft (well at least if Vit or someone can fix the handling problems on his F16's).

Last but not least a good map would be needed. The Mogadishu map would work temporarily, but hopefully someone will create a really cool "Gaza Strip" map that perhaps could double as a Baghdad map as simulating a neighborhood of a typical Arab city.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

The Afganistan map might work for that.

Yeah... although there are no modern looking shops and apartment buildings in the Afghan map (well accept for one large building), and there aren't any paved roads. But still it or the Mogadishu map would work temporarily for making such missions until someone made a new map.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

the SJB marine force recon units are the exact same things, but just with new SJB weapons, they asked for permission and it was given  biggrin_o.gif

but actually the sjb addon maker was a part of the lb team

The Afganistan map might work for that.

err Afghanistan is completly different. Afghanistan is a very high lying and for a great part mountainous region. Well it's the "Hindukush". It is in asia

Israel and Palestine are on the Mediterranean coast with completly different climate. Even the Golan heights are very different from Afghanistan.

Also the people who live there are very different not to mention that Israel/Palestine are far more economically developed than Afghanistan.

This applies for most other arab countries as well.

Great news biggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Last but not least a good map would be needed.  The Mogadishu map would work temporarily, but hopefully someone will create a really cool "Gaza Strip" map that perhaps could double as a Baghdad map as simulating a neighborhood of a typical Arab city.

I think that the mod should focus on what the flashpoint engine can handle best, high intensity conflict (not low intensity).  The fighting in the territories is great for a CT game, but a fictional war with syria (or anyone for that matter) would take full advantage of the IDF's deadly armor and Air Force.  In addition, any major war would likely feature major action in the territories as well, with the various militant factions sure to play a major role.

True... but I think the OFP engine can handle urban combat as long as the cities are not too huge.  A city about twice the size of Petrovice on a large desert map with a Golan heights area and with the rest with rolling hills (maybe a few mountains), desert plains, and small towns... that should allow mission makers to simulate both kinds of combat.  Just think, someone could use the old "Gimbal Throwers" addon to simulate rock throwing Palestinians.  Give 'em Ak's and M16's and they turn into Hamas terrorists.  Of coarse the topic is politicaly touchy right now.  I don't think it would be very tasteful to make a addon for a suicide bomber even if it would be realistic (like a mission to stop a suicide bomber from entering an area full of civilians).  

Still I find urban warfare to be the most exciting in OFP which is one thing I hoped that the LB team would be able to simulate well... unfortunately however they got sidetracked on all kinds of side projects until Viperheart left.

The only decent IDF addon I've seen is the IDF infantry addon here:  

http://flashpoint.xaos.ru/nland/downloads.html

Chris G.

True... but I think the OFP engine can handle urban combat as long as the cities are not too huge.  A city about twice the size of Petrovice on a large desert map with a Golan heights area and with the rest with rolling hills (maybe a few mountains), desert plains,  and small towns... that should allow mission makers to simulate both kinds of combat.  Just think, someone could use the old "Gimbal Throwers" addon to simulate rock throwing Palestinians.  Give 'em Ak's and M16's and they turn into Hamas terrorists.  Of coarse the topic is politicaly touchy right now.  I don't think it would be very tasteful to make a addon for a suicide bomber even if it would be realistic (like a mission to stop a suicide bomber from entering an area full of civilians).  

Still I find urban warfare to be the most exciting in OFP which is one thing I hoped that the LB team would be able to simulate well... unfortunately however they got sidetracked on all kinds of side projects until Viperheart left.

The only decent IDF addon I've seen is the IDF infantry addon here:  

http://flashpoint.xaos.ru/nland/downloads.html

Chris G.

The ofp engine can easily handle cities, just not using BIS buildings which a lot of map makers are doing, they need to use low poly buildings, for instance for the amount of polygons in Viktors office you could have a city with nearly 1000 buildings if made properly. For instance:

houses.jpg

I forgot his name, but someone recently made that Baghdad city street addon with 3 different types of buildings and streets. It actually works VERY nicely, is low polygon, and it has a blank city block where you can stick your own buildings on it. I think he's working on touching it up a bit so the textures look a bit grungier. But hopefully the final version of that addon will be out soon. It would be cool to also see stuff like Arab writing on signs and things like that.

I was able to make a fairly large city with it on the Afghan map that didn't lag too badly with a large number of units on the map. I can only image how much less it would lag if someone made a map with that addon used in the map itself.

But anyhoo... does anyone have any word on the status of the Merkava MBT that the Lost Brothers Team was working on?

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

philcommados the guys name hu made the streets

Ah yes, that's right... Mr. PC. smile_o.gif I can't wait to see the next version of his PCstreets addon.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I don't think i'll play it out of principle, i know it has nothing to do with politics but still.

If it's really good though i'll download PHP forces.

Well if you don't like the IDF you can make missions playing the role of a Syrian soldier or a Hezbollah or Hamas gunman and battle it out with the IDF in heavy urban fighting.  

Hey sometimes I even play the German side in some WWII missions I've been messing around with.

The only thing I'd really boycott would be if someone made a suicide bomber addon.  That I think would be very distasteful.  That's like how I don't like missions where soldiers are doing simulated rape on women using the "pushup" animation.  

But if you really are disgusted by the IDF I can understand not wanting to see them in a game at all.  So I can imagine why you wouldn't want to play any such mod. But some of us would really like to see such a mod created.

So like someone else mentioned, to avoid all that political stuff it maybe would be better if the LB team did not make any Palistinian addons and just stuck to a IDF vs. Syria or IDF vs. Egypt scenario.  

Personally I just want some good urban combat action and I want to use the Merkava which is my favorite MBT as it's very sleek looking, extremely heavily armored, and it can carry a 6 man infantry team (APC from hell).  

The politics are another issue to me and personally I think both sides are equally stupid and stubborn about the conflict... probably because both sides are so much alike.

Anyhoo... I hope the LB project doesn't flicker out.   But sadly I'm afraid it will as there doesn't seem to be an interest in them except for their HK packs and other non-IDF units.  

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Im happy to see this mod back alive again and hope to see some new IDF vehicles in ofp smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Anyhoo... I hope the LB project doesn't flicker out. But sadly I'm afraid it will as there doesn't seem to be an interest in them except for their HK packs and other non-IDF units.

What? There's no interest in the IDF? Are there that few people who want an IDF mod?

I know it's politically sensitive, but maybe we could simulate the Six-Day or Yom Kippur wars, they'd be pretty interesting. Or a modern day Mid-East war. I think that simulating the kind of thing that goes on in the occupied territories would be a bit insensitive though. I know that I wouldn't like it too much if someone made an IRA vs. British army mod.

I know that I wouldn't like it too much if someone made an IRA vs. British army mod.

I'd be interesting though.