Sign in to follow this  
Matthijs

Cocoss standards document v1.0 release

Hi all,

This is not really an add-on, but it's usefull and it's finished. I thought this would be the best place to publish it.

As you may know, a swimming addon from "The Chain of Command" will be released soon. Our first concern is to enable others to profit from our experience as much as possible.

The CoCOSS document describes not only how to create a swimming add-on, it also describes a system to make your add-on compatible with any future swimming addons, with a strong focus on simplicity for mission makers.

Added to that, the CoCOSS system will enable add-on makers to create objects that allow interaction with swimmers. Vehicles that can be boarded from the water and add-ons that actually "pull" swimmers from the water (for SAR missions) are only a few examples of a whole range of things that can be achieved.

The combat swimmer is close to release. It is hard to tell when it will be released, the only thing I can say is that it will be soon. Col. Klink is working on another CoCOSS compliant and a compatible add-on.

[ DOWNLOAD THE CoCOSS DOCUMENTATION v1.0 ]

Nice job! But can you describe in short words what I have to do if I want to make my addon, lets say a chopper, able of picking up swimming soldiers for instance?

PSC

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PSC @ 08 May 2003,20:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Nice job! But can you describe in short words what I have to do if I want to make my addon, lets say a chopper, able of picking up swimming soldiers for instance?

PSC<span id='postcolor'>

Simply add a custom action to your vehicle that allows people in another vehicle to "get in".

But if you have a script that needs to know what types of swimming vehicles are available in a mission, the array CoC_GlobalSwimGear holds strings of all swimming equipment-names. The array CoC_GlobalSwimGear is also called the CoCOSS registry. As soon as an addon initializes, it will add the classname of its swimming-equipment (weapon classnames) to this array. Simply Add SWM to such a string to have the classname of the corresponding swimming vehicle.

So, if you find the string "CoC_LAR7" in CoC_GlobalSwimGear, this is the name of the "weapon" that swimmers are carrying. As soon as they start swimming, they are the driver of a vehicle, type:"CoC_LAR7SWM"

This way, you can detect if any swimming units are near, by making a loop that checks GetNearestObject for all strings (+SWM) in CoC_GlobalSwimGear. So, you might want to limit getting in from other vehicles only to swimmers. This way you can prevent units "jumping" from one helicopter to the other.

This way you are also able to "pull" swimmers into a vehicle. Let's say, if a friendly swimmer gets closer than 1 meter distance to your boat, your boat gets the custom action "pull swimmer on board". Nice for coastguard-ships.

A question, will the swimmer be able to fire thier weapon in the water(if the ship is not firendly crazy.gif )? smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (CuteQA @ 09 May 2003,04:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A question, will the swimmer be able to fire thier weapon in the water(if the ship is not firendly crazy.gif )? smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

It depends on the weapon that is attached to the swimming vehicle. I noticed the weapons "throw" and "put" do not work while below sea-level. I did not try a pistol.

Weapons will require serious ingenuity from add-on makers anyway.

Good CoC, you always keep your things easy to use. I hope you do these divers like with the mine pack. A step by step visual guide, great with user friendly stuff! Keep up the good work.