Sign in to follow this  
Dave -OFPL-

Windows 2003 server

I installed Windows 2003 Server onto one of my machines, then took the OFP Folder from another server I was running Windows 2000 Server on.

1.46 Server loaded. However an error DKM_MOD requires Version 1.7 of Application. DKM_MOD is nowhere on that server.

I then try running the 1.9 Server which works fine on the 2000 Server but on the Windows 2003 I get the error:

Dedicated Server Creation Failed.

Why you try windows 2003 server?

It's incompatible with many of mickysofts own software.

These won't run (update or new version needed):

SQL Server 6.5/7.0, Windows Exchange Server 5.5/2000, SharePoint Portal Server, SharePoint Team Service

These will never run on windows 2003:

BizTalk 2000, Commerce Server 2001, Content Manager Server 2001 and Mobile Information Server 2001

original post in german: Heise

Kick the thing away and use Linux.

Greets

[CiA]Lobanak

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lobanak @ 02 May 2003,11:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Why you try windows 2003 server?

It's incompatible with many of mickysofts own software.

These won't run (update or new version needed):

SQL Server 6.5/7.0, Windows Exchange Server 5.5/2000, SharePoint Portal Server, SharePoint Team Service

These will never run on windows 2003:

BizTalk 2000, Commerce Server 2001, Content Manager Server 2001 and Mobile Information Server 2001

original post in german: Heise

Kick the thing away and use Linux.

Greets

[CiA]Lobanak<span id='postcolor'>

At least Windows 2003 Server is more compatible with the applications he's using than LINUX...

don't think so.

On how many platforms you can run windows? On how many linux?

Which platform has more security holes?

We can discuss this till the end of our life. But I think you should wait with windows 2003 server some time till some bugfixes are out and it is clear that it is stable and don't have security holes.

And if you have the money to buy the server version, do this. I don't pay 1000+ euro for an OS when I can have one for free with thousends of applications.

Greets

[CiA]Lobanak

Well I wanted Windows Server to run 1.46.

I found the problem though, was just a stupid error on my behalf in that 2003 seems to not like port 2302.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lobanak @ 02 May 2003,11:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">don't think so.

On how many platforms you can run windows? On how many linux?

Which platform has more security holes?<span id='postcolor'>

This is going way off-topic, but before this thread gets locked, I'd like to point out that you are getting away from the core issue.

His problem was getting a specific program to work on a specific OS. The fact that the OS in question can't run on as many diverse platforms as Linux is completely irrelevant, as are any security holes that may or may not be present.

This isn't a Windows vs. Linux my-OS-is-better-than-your-OS debate, it's about troubleshooting a specific problem, which is why it appeared in the Troubleshooting forum and not Offtopic.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dave [OFPL] @ 02 May 2003,12:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well I wanted Windows Server to run 1.46.

I found the problem though, was just a stupid error on my behalf in that 2003 seems to not like port 2302.<span id='postcolor'>

I think that is a general DirectX 8.1+ issue, which comes with Windows 2003.

DirectPlay uses a port in the 2300-2400 range, and if the server tries to open a socket on a port used by DirectPlay (or any other application for that matter), the call will fail. That's why the default OFP port is 2234.