Sign in to follow this  
_Assulter_

Multiplayer

I would still like to see the waiting room, rather that 1-3 guys already start a mission. So that you have filled all slots and then you can start the game. So that all players start at the same time and then when some1 d/c, players can join in-game.

smile_o.gif

STOP THIS FREAKING BANNING !!

I have been banned by a few servers by no reason. No cheating, hacking, chracking, no sounds !!

STOP THIS FREAKING BANNING !!

I have been banned by a few servers by no reason. No cheating, hacking, chracking, no sounds !!

You are using a warez ID? wink_o.gif

But seriously, is this something that OFP2 could stop in a sane way?

If it wasn't mentioned or already featured...

Make the linux dedicated server work on a beowulf cluster.

(yay for distributed computing!)

crazy_o.gif

A accessible list would be a nice feature!

Such like the ban.txt but even for IDs able to connect to the server!

Multi-mission capability.

If server admins do not wish to have join-in-progress enabled for some missions, it would be good if players do not wait in the lobby but can simply choose a mission for themselves, a small coop to tide them over until the main mission in progress completes.

Also, just in the mission selection list, if file sizes could be shown so that an admin can make a wise decision if he happens to have a few 56k players around. That is if missions are done in a similar way at all.

A spectator mode when you join a server would be nice too:

instead of seeing a black screen with players names.

A flying camera would be great if its a mission you can't "join in progress".

@zmesski it may be disabled by the server owner and your secrets tatics could be saved this way biggrin_o.gif

Im thinking about this mainly for coop missions.

Nah.. bad idea, if there is a clanwar, ppl could check what the other team's strategy/style is (and who is defending and all, and where he is)

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard311/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=57;t=38516;st=0;r=1;entry527576

See the bit on pseudo shoutcast at the bottom of the post.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also has anyone mentioned letting players 'join' into a AI player, during a battle ?, so an AI slot can become a human player (sort of like the Matrix)

Think outside the box,

-Psuedo shoutcast the netcode = more bandwidth

-Perhaps have clients act as sub-servers and shoutcast what they can to other players

-Warn if someone is capping their upload speed to screw the shoutcast (after a 2-5min check) and kick or ban repeat offenders (long story short: it would let them cheat, and become harder to hit)

Having a central server handle everything is so, 1985 (pun intended - lol)

I think it's how to JIP that's controversial.

I propose a couple modes for the admin to choose from:

-join into a playable character (defined by mission-maker)

-join into a playable or non-playable character (defined by mission-maker)

-join as a new character in a reinforcement zone (defined by mission-maker)

Also let the admin update the "Estimated time till next game" because it's not very informative reading 15 minutes when the game is likely to go on for 2 hours.

I guess the only way to implement JIP into OFP, is to give the missionmakers the option to do this.

Because of the structure of scripting in OFP.

For example:

You can run scripts on the server as well as on clients. Some of the Scripts interact with each other. So if someone joins when the game has started, you has to tell some server-scripts, that a new player has joined, and that they has to interact with the scripts on the new client.

Sorry for my bad english, but i hope you understand what i tried to express.

Previous players data would all have to be saved on the server somehow. That includes his entire gamestate when it comes to scripts I guess? This could get messy. smile_o.gif

Previous players data would all have to be saved on the server somehow.  That includes his entire gamestate when it comes to scripts I guess?  This could get messy. smile_o.gif

There is nothing to save left if the client lost its connection or it crashed.

Or all changes on client has to be sent persistently to the server as a backup. I'm getting afraid...

I assume that when JiP is introduced, there will be a number of commands following that will enable scriptors to include the neccessary routines and deal with new players in an appropriate way.

But yes, if JiP will make it in, it will most likely be a setting the mapper can choose to use or not use, like for example respawn.

I think that it might be interesting to be able to join in for example a running coop game by taking over an AI controlled soldier. If there ain't any left, then there simply is no chance to join in later on. Of course this again would require the mission maker to enable a setting that allows JiP for that particular mission in beforehand.

)a)( @ April 20 2004,14:18)]
Previous players data would all have to be saved on the server somehow. That includes his entire gamestate when it comes to scripts I guess? This could get messy. smile_o.gif

There is nothing to save left if the client lost its connection or it crashed.

Or all changes on client has to be sent persistently to the server as a backup. I'm getting afraid...

IMHO all scripting should be done on the server. Most of the mp problems in ofp come from the fact that clients are allowed to do their own stuff. I can't think of any other mp game right now that does this, and there are several reasons for this...

I second the thought of only server side scripting. My friend made some missions with the editor and he said the scripting, especially when it comes to multiplayer, just gets ugly.

I also support saving mid-mission in multiplayer. Along with that, I wish there was a way to respawn in co-op multiplayer. Maybe if surviving players get to a check point, all dead players get to respawn (would make it full to pull for your squadmate even after you were out). Something, I don't really know.

I know this would take away from some of the hard core feel, but a lot of these types of games offer co-op but then not offer options that could make co-op more fun and playable. Ever try to do a really long mission in co-op, you get 75% of the way through and then get killed? Ever had to do that 10 times in a row? It stinks and there should be a way around it.

My friend made a fun mission for us in co-op and really made it a challenge. That was fun, but we hated having to constantly redo the first 5 challenges to get to the big finish. So now we don't play long missions which often offer more interesting objectives.

I like the idea of JIP or even respawn. I've dropped connection a lot of times only to have to wait for the current game to end. After about 10 minutes of waiting I simply go play something else. It's gotten to the point that I don't play OFP online much because of the hassle of finding a game. I don't feel JIP or respawn is going to take away from the tactical style of the game itself. I think their should be a countdown to allow players back in the game. This could be set by the server. So if you join a mission while it's on going or die you have to wait a certain amount of time before you can enter the battle. Reinforcements are a fact of warfare. I personally have served in the military and there were times where I was dropped into a situation where I had no clue about what was going on. I think that would only add to the element of tactical play because those that join in will be at a disadvantage. Besides, if a person doesn't read the briefing before joining they wouldn't have read it anyway.

You could still have respawn and tactical game play. Of course if the respawn counter is too low then it might cause some problems. However, on a public server usually the main idea is to have fun. Not to go over hardcore tactics. That's what private servers are for. Fact is, not everybody has time to sit and wait. I love OFP but I just don't have the time to wait 20 minutes before playing. Then spend 30 to 60 minutes playing. In a lot of cases you could complete an entire mission in the time you spend waiting. I know a lot of people want absolute realism but their comes a point between realism and playability. OFP has great realism and game play. But the MP playability is very lackluster.

I hope to see better AI-multiplayer in OFP2.

Sometimes it's fun to be able to play with the AI some COOP, CTF, or TDM. Maybe I compare it too much with UT2004 but in that way it's possible to train on the MP maps before commencing real battle on the net.

They should have ability to understand the tasks that are at hand in MP-missions, e.g. Ou Kov is captured by the enemy, some AI should go and try to retake the city.

It would also still allow to play MP-missions in OFP2 after 10 years because I will not be able to buy a new comp very because soon my family will be 3 persons rich instead of 2 and I want to spend most of my time and money on him/her???. Rest of the money goes to beer biggrin_o.gif , rest of time to OFP2 (which will be so enriched due to more 3rd party addons tounge_o.gif ).

Hoping some people also would enjoy this extra AI.

I like the idea of JIP or even respawn. I've dropped connection a lot of times only to have to wait for the current game to end. After about 10 minutes of waiting I simply go play something else. It's gotten to the point that I don't play OFP online much because of the hassle of finding a game. I don't feel JIP or respawn is going to take away from the tactical style of the game itself. I think their should be a countdown to allow players back in the game. This could be set by the server. So if you join a mission while it's on going or die you have to wait a certain amount of time before you can enter the battle...

You could still have respawn and tactical game play. Of course if the respawn counter is too low then it might cause some problems.

Hey, All OFP MP I have played has involved respawn except for the more serious coops. Maybe the server you used had some of the older missions.

One thing I actually like about OFP multiplayer is the variety of play styles without the server having to be set up for a special gametype. I enjoy the revive style respawn where your body has to be contacted by a live player to respawn you. It discourages suicide tactics as you won't find anyone to revive you if you are in a vulnerable position but you do get a chance to recover from early misfortune.

This was on the OGN server in Aussie. If you check out the missions people play now you'd be surprised by the online playability.

As for JIP, it should be implemented in the same way BIS has implemented everything else - with no exact way you are required to use it. All it needs to do is insert a new player into the player list and have some serverside scripts available so they can be either updated with player positions and spawn, placed in spectator mode, or possibly put in a separate area where there is a firing range or simple deathmatch to keep them busy.

I think JIP is definiately a good thing in most situations. It would reduce the waiting, not only for the person who is joining, but everyone else as well, since you wouldn't have to restart a mission when someone else comes. smile_o.gif

One of the advantages as stated here before is, that when joining a game that's already in progress, it would make it possible to have a persistent world(that is until the server crashes ;). This would mean that your actions actually would have consequences and would influence the rest of the game, hours or even days later. Unlike now, after the map is played, its all over and you restart with a new map.

OFP 1 online is more waiting then playing.

Some server side wishes:

- better logging functions (number of files to be set or filesize to be set)

- admin must be able to kick people even if he's not on the server (with a script or something else as frontend to ofpserver)

- server debugging should be shown in mpchat only for the admin or in a extra debug.log file and not in debugoutputstream

- commonly more (flexible) options for admins to interact with their servers

- server should have an scripting end which could be expanded to give more options or possiblitys to the server regarding to checkfile, so you could secure up your server with own written routines or something like that

- server has to do most of the work and should be as editable as it can to provide that comming cheats could be broken by the community itself

- take away as much as you can from the client side preventing hacks and other stuff which modifies your work

thx

EDIT

I've forgotten one

- there HAVE TO be a routine which is able to verify the clients exe