Page 3 of 81 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Developer post in this thread.  

Thread: Ai thread

I'd like to see a couple things. I don't see how MOUT would be applicable in this situation, this is going to be vietnam you know. I suspect most of the fighting will be in jungles. But I can see how MOUT would be very useful.

Anyway, I'd like to see a few things...

1) Change the AI targeting system. Right now it's set up so the enemy will shoot at you when they can't see you. Usually another AI, the officer perhaps, can see you, so they'll tell that soldier to shoot you. He sees a yellow box, shoots at the yellow box, and if you're prone and crawling like you should be, he'll hit you. The problem is that he will often hit you through bushes and leaves so you can't see him, but he can still somehow hit you. Anyway, this is a very big downside that has ruined many a mission in OFP for me to the point where I had to fight the enemy in the open to get the job done.

2) Clipping. In OFP now the clipping is horrible. My player gets the shakes when he gets too close to a wall. Enemys can shoot through walls. Players are constantly falling through walls. Clipping is what makes MOUT so horrible. I think if the designers fixed this clipping problem as well as the AI targetting system MOUT would be much better.

This is just the beginning of my laundry list. I think most of these things will be fixed since OFP2 is coming out in a new engine anyway.

one thing thats bugs me is when one lousy enemy escapes you shooty wrath and you have to spend the next 6 hours looking for him, id like to see some kind of heirarchy implemented that would allow a mission to be completed without everyone being killed. For example you kill all the officers and a squad is below 75% strength it will surrender. That way if something has escaped it should be large enough to notice even over a large area. Only an idiot would miss 10 men legging it from a combat, or 3 tanks....not exaclty low key.

I'm sure this has been brought up elsewhere, but I don't really know what to search with. I'm wondering if BIS plans on doing anything about the AI's inability to handle recoil on automatic weapons? They constantly shoot way over their targets. It's like they line their sights up on the target and then just hold down the trigger, causing all but the first bullet to fly over the target. I would expect recoil to cause a dispersion around the target, not a tight grouping 6 feet over the target. Just set up an ambush mission with a machinegunner and a bunch of enemy trucks and watch him not take out a single one.

Note: the solution to this is NOT to reduce the recoil, it is to model recoil more realistically.

The one and only OFP MOM
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (akdavis @ 28 April 2003,19:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I&#39;m sure this has been brought up elsewhere,[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yes, this is the 3rd thread you&#39;ve repeated the exact same comments on.

AI needs some self-management of ammo as well as picking up special items such as LAW&#39;s or MG&#39;s if the teammembers with them have fallen.

-----------
    Former maintainer of "Dynamic Range" soundpack, Operation Flashpoint: Resistance.

Master Gunnery Sergeant
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Crassus @ 27 April 2003,03:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Also, I would like to be able to order formations for each of the fire teams. Currently formation orders affect the whole squad, but mode/behavior orders can affect selected teams.

Modes: If in a "stealth" mode--I would call it a "patrol" mode, and it would be set/triggered AUTOMATICALLY by how fast I&#39;m walking--when I walk slow, my squad walks slow. No need to set the mode/behavior then walk slow. If I halt when in "patrol" mode, then the squad halts and faces outboard and to the rear to cover their sectors. If I&#39;ve not moved forward after say 30 seconds then the squad members AUTOMATICALLY kneel. If I&#39;ve still not moved forward, but only taken a look around, then they go prone, still facing outboard. As in real life, I would have to order "move out", either with the action menu, or the "radio"

Taking fire would automatically set "combat" mode, and the team closest to the threat would automatically lay down suppressing fire. The other team would AUTOMATICALLY move to the fire team in contact to add fires. It would then be up to the player/squad leader what happens during that engagement. I see small dialogs appear that allow things like "Team Alpha base of fire" and "Team Bravo, flank left". And this would be a true maneuver left, not merely a shift to the far left. The fire team would seek the best cover or concealment and attack the enemy from the left. This is what gets the wood going&#33; Seeing a your fire teams moving like a well-oiled machine&#33;[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You should have the option of using hand signals to control the squad instead of the stupid radio as well. It should be something you could switch on and off.

Also, your squad should react in this manner to incoming fire according to their experience level. An experienced fire team would respond with suppressing fire, an inexperienced one would panic and run. Experience levels in the middle would duck and cover or return sporadic fire.
    \"My guard stood hard when abstract threats too noble to neglect, decieved me into thinking I had something to protect. ***Good and bad I define these terms quite clear, no doubt, somehow. ***Ahh, but I was so much older then, I&#39;m younger than that now.\" ***-The Byrds &#39;My Back Pages.&#39;

In Memory of David Albert Schoeler, 1974 - 2003.

Third World Explosion Team

What about a "berserker" attitude ? I mean a soldier crack under pressure and fight in a crazy state like screamming running and firing at nothing and disobeying

Master Gunnery Sergeant
    Author of the Thread
    I think the worst example of the ai &#39;knowing&#39; where you are was the mission in Resistance where you have to stop the tanks attacking with mines and satchel charges as well as some other tank squads. Well I had my satchels all setup nice and the enemy ran over the mines, then into my satchel fields. Well I set of the satchels and took a tank and BMP. Right away the other tanks wheeled around and started firing at my position inside the forrest&#33; They &#39;knew&#39; where I was after the attack, even though they were satchels and there would be no way to know where the trigger is.

COLINMAN
    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong...I'm not a big man." Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

Thumbs up

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PitViper @ 28 April 2003,19:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">AI needs some self-management of ammo as well as picking up special items such as LAW&#39;s or MG&#39;s if the teammembers with them have fallen.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Here here&#33;

I get sick of stupid AI saying "ammo low" when there are bodies and ammo crates everywhere - they should have the intelligence to gather their own ammo without you having to hold their hand. Of course, they should probably ask permission rather than just running off - they might run straight into an enemy field of fire...

Maybe a simple order like "scavenge" would be nice.
    -Goeth
    FDF mod team member

Page 3 of 81 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast