Page 1 of 81 123451151 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Developer post in this thread.  

Thread: Ai thread

For myself one of the biggest things lacking in all combat simulations is an ai with more 'human' like qualities. The ai in OFP is very good taticaly, using gernades and flanking manouvers, but it is still lacking suppressive fire.

I'd love to see LMG used as they are intended, to lay down fire to get the enemy to keep their heads down as you move. Nothing frustrates me more than having the ai cooly pick you off because your fire is landing all around them, but not quite hitting them. I'd love to see a 'fear for life' in the ai. Not blindly running into a stream of bullets, but actaully keeping their head down and staying in cover.,

It maybe very hard to impliment and would have a drastic effect on gameplay. Some would argue that the game would loose a lot of the 'fun factor' because firefights would be more drawn out and not always have a desisive victory. At the same time it would really help with fire and move tatics. I'd love to have a support element under my command and able to tell them to hit an area with suppressive fire as I manouver my other men to a better position.

What does everyone thing and what other improvements or changes to the ai they would love to see?

COLINMAN
    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong...I'm not a big man." Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

I hate the way AI Choppers crash into each other, makes some mission impossible,

better driving, i hate the way the spin on a road when a groupe of trucks drive

\"War is only delightful to those who have not yet experienced it.\"

I was thinking about how BIS could implement suppressive fire the other day.

My idea:

Choose your machine gunner ***"F ?" then go to 'engage' or 'action' in the command menu and then have an option to 'suppress'. Once selected you right click and draw a window around the area you want him to fire on.

You could use a hot key to turn suppression on or off.
    <span style=\'color:black\'>\"Machine gun, yeah,
    Tearin&#39; my body all apart.
    Evil man make me kill ya.
    Evil man make you kill me.
    Evil man make me kill you,
    Even though were only famlies apart.\" -- Jimi Hendrix - Machine Gun</span>

One thing I kind of noticed with chopers.... is that when the AI first take off or get a do move command.. they always initially fly up 50 meters no matter what you specify before taking off.. or you have to try and force it to stay at the specific height...

One thing I&#39;d like to see (with a toggle option, perhaps) is emotional AI. Presently the AI works like a machine, following orders and w/o personality. The only thing I ever see them do similar to this is run away from time to time, but that&#39;s rare, and they don&#39;t go far, and they come back.

I&#39;d like to see the AI have different personalities. Some would be agressive; attempt to engage the enemy quickly and generally toss a lot of lead in their direction. Some could always stick to cover and only pop out to shoot. Some could take their time in combat and aim well. Furthermore, I&#39;d like to see their behavior affected by their situation. Demoralized troops could crack under fire, and just hide wherever they could, maybe even try to flee, or surrender. Also, the units shouldn&#39;t just obey orders blindly in combat.

I feel that this would make the game an even more realistic experience, because right now, even though the AI is good, they are a tad bit robotic in their actions. I&#39;d like to see more human AI developed in OFP2.

Of course, we&#39;d need options to set personalities, or to disable things like disobeying orders and emotions, but I think it would be well worth it.

Formerly MSMS_KDXer (signed up January 2002)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MSMS_KDXer @ April 25 2003,03:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">One thing I&#39;d like to see (with a toggle option, perhaps) is emotional AI. ***Presently the AI works like a machine, following orders and w/o personality. ***The only thing I ever see them do similar to this is run away from time to time, but that&#39;s rare, and they don&#39;t go far, and they come back.

I&#39;d like to see the AI have different personalities. ***Some would be agressive; attempt to engage the enemy quickly and generally toss a lot of lead in their direction. ***Some could always stick to cover and only pop out to shoot. ***Some could take their time in combat and aim well. ***Furthermore, I&#39;d like to see their behavior affected by their situation. ***Demoralized troops could crack under fire, and just hide wherever they could, maybe even try to flee, or surrender. ***Also, the units shouldn&#39;t just obey orders blindly in combat.

I feel that this would make the game an even more realistic experience, because right now, even though the AI is good, they are a tad bit robotic in their actions. ***I&#39;d like to see more human AI developed in OFP2.

Of course, we&#39;d need options to set personalities, or to disable things like disobeying orders and emotions, but I think it would be well worth it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    nice idea , really nice
    yes , the AI needs to be more emotionnal

Gunnery Sergeant
    2--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (colt @ April 25 2003,012)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I was thinking about how BIS could implement suppressive fire the other day.

My idea:

Choose your machine gunner ***"F ?" then go to &#39;engage&#39; or &#39;action&#39; in the command menu and then have an option to &#39;suppress&#39;. Once selected you right click and draw a window around the area you want him to fire on.

You could use a hot key to turn suppression on or off.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    In sum: area fire, as well as point fire on inanimate objects. "Contact...Right Front...Enemy in the bushes....Light &#39;em up..."

(If you&#39;ve ever played either of the Combat Mission games, then you know how "sexy" area fire is, esp when tanks are throwing smoke into the treeline, and one of your platoons machineguns is throwing lead into that same treeline&#33; Mmmm... ***)

"We gotta go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"

8.   Click here to go to the next Developer post in this thread.   #8
    Yeah, even have a look at Ghost Recon and how much atmos supress fire adds. That reminds me, better sounds.
    "Peace can not be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." Albert Einstein

Please report Arma 3 bugs in the Bug Tracker

Master Gunnery Sergeant
    Author of the Thread
    Yes&#33; That&#39;s one thing I love about GR. I remember in the city map I was pinned down behind a small pile of rubble because the ai was hammering my position. I was stuck there for over a minute while I moved my other squad to a flank position.

COLINMAN

[OT]Woohoo&#33; Combat Mission&#33;[/OT]

Seriously, I think that&#39;s a good point. Blind fire/area fire/recon by fire would be a good addition to have.

Page 1 of 81 123451151 ... LastLast