Sign in to follow this  
Andraz

M24 sniper weapon system

I like you range of avatars Jackal wink.gif

And yes, I've still got Hubba's M24 on my HDD too.

Hubba, you gonna get back into the addon biz?

I love this rifle!!! Boy I have been waiting for a good one. Now all we need is a new sniper to go with. I have been tryin new set ups for ghillie suits but I havent had much luck "as of yet wink.gif "!

Hehe back in the addon biz.. maybe i will, maybe i wont smile.gif We're still pretty busy over at OFPEC.

As for zoomable scope. Are you who want zoomable scopes aware that you usually also change the zeroing of the rifle when zooming? The M21 at full zoom is meant for long range targeting and not just come closer to the target. This means you may actually be very off the target if you engage targets at a specific intervall while zoomed in.

The M24 SWS is never issued by regular army with a zoomable scope. Instead it uses the mil-dot system for fast range estimation and adjustment. The theory is basically that if you know at what distance the rifle is zeroed, and uses the mil-dots to calculate your distance to the target, then you can adjust the sights without turning the knobs by using the mil-dots as reference. This is for quick target engaging and very effective when you do not have time to sit and adjust elevation/lead.

To make this a working addon, the mil-dots need to be to scale. If i dont remember wrongly that means that a standing man at 500 m range should take up 2.5 mildots (its in the us sniper manual if anyone wants to look it up). If i know that the rifle is zeroed at 500 m. then i put the sights dead on target. Otherwise i may elevate/lower the sights a bit.

As far as i can range this addon, it's very accurate and very to scale (more so than my M24 ever was, but then we didn't know as much about ballistics in ofp back then smile.gif. Its becoming my definate sniper rifle favourite in OFP smile.gif

And lets keep OFP the ONE game out there which is even remotely close to real life sniping and not add any zoomable scopes to the M24. Then it's turning into UT2003/counterstrike smile.gif

/HuBBa

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (mrukas @ April 16 2003,02:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">yes, because you bet your life on it wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

You caught me crazy.gif

Havent tried this one yet, but could you please attach a folded out bipod to the model? Makes it look cooler smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Andraz @ April 16 2003,10:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jackal326 @ April 16 2003,02:436)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'll be downloading to check out the competition for my M24 Rifle, included with my SRT2 Pack<span id='postcolor'>

I hope you don't mind for pointing it out, but your M24 (less the bipod) 3d model with textures is a Counter-Strike replacement for Steyr Scout, made by Endorphin, Sixshooter and Dirty. It has quite a few inaccuracies, like detachable magazine (the real M24 has internal magazine), fictional scope rings and scope, wrong trigger guard (Remington Model 700), wrong bolt body, too long bolt handle… confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Maybe you guys could work together and Jackal could use your M24 for the next release of Special Reaction Team?  tounge.gif

The magnifying scope is top notch, really good. And good you did'nt add adjustable zoom to it. And yes a russian counter-part would be kinda cool. Great work Andraz smile.gif

Hey, i love the gun (that is why i signed up here) and the mil-dot system. So i created a manual on it:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Mil-Dot Guide. By Teryan. Version Beta 1.1

In this guide to the Mil-Dot (on the M-24 created by ANDRAZ BERAVS) you will learn how to use the Mil-Dot in, range finding, bullet drop comensation, and a lead on moveing targets. You should probley keep a caculator by your keyboard, real snipers use them; why not you?

- How to use the mil-dot

- Why sizes of people will change

- The sizes of things

- How to find hights

- Hold offs (up, down, left right)

- Why this was made

_

How to use the mil-dot system. This is really easy, you just need to konw the size of the target in meters (if you dont know the size of the target in meters just convert. size in Ft/3.28), and how many mils it is.

A mil is one of those dots that is up down left and right. When finding hights count from the center of the mil-dot. Make shure you count the center(where the cross hars meet {your aim point original}) as a mil-dot. An example: There is an enemy officer out there, you put the center of one mil-dot on his foot and you count up five mil's up to about his head. But his head is not in the center of the mil dot, it is almost touching it. So that is about .8 mills. The officer is then 4.8 mils high.

Now you need to know the hight of him (you could guess, but snipers need to be exact). The average size of a person in OPf is 1.28m (really important that you do this in meters). Take 1.28 then mutply (x) by 1000. After that you divide by the mills you had: 4.8.

1.28m X 1000

---------------- = 266.666 Meters away from you.

General forumla

size in meters (important!wink.gif X 1000

----------------------------------- = distance away from you in meters

size in mil-dots

_

Sizes are not uniformal (always equal). For example, take a person that is on flat ground and is facing away from you. He is 1.3 meters tall, but if he is facing you he is 1.28 to 1.4 (depending on the person) meters tall. So just rember the average 1.28m and use that for fast caculations. Also if you are at an angle different that strate on it will vary too . If you are on a hill looking down and you see some one they will appear to be smaller than they are. And if you are looking on the ground looking at some one on a hill they will appear to be bigger than they are. This will only affect you if you are 1: very close on a big hill, 2: far away. The change is about 2%, not alot but be carfull still. Rember that vehicles are not always the same hight on all side (or windows). On the UAZ it is very hard to measure the size beacuse the back is taller than the front, so i use the size of the windows.

!!important!! Make shure the size you are using is the same size you are measuring with the mil-dots. Example: If I measured the back of the Ural to be (i didn't) to be 2.1m tall and i am measuring the side and it is smaller (or I include the wheels (I usualy dont, the truck is some times too big)) it will mess up my range. Lets do the math:

What i measured (size that is not correct for the mils) :

2.1m X 1000

---------- = 500m (one mill below the zero)

4.2 mil-dots

What it auctually is (the size i should of used):

1.8m X 1000

----------- = 428m (just about the zero)

4.2 mil-dots

How to find Sizes.

Note: I would recomend doing this on a flat open grounds were you dont half to worry about shooting or getting shot at. Make shure your ranges are exact.

Crack open the editor and i recomend using the desert island for this. Place your guy down (the one that has the mil-dots in his sites) at a line (make shure it is exacly on it), then place the object you want to measure down 200m away (it is hard to find the mil-dots after that). Then start playing, go prone immeditally and find the object in mil-dots. Then plug into this equation:

Distance (in this case 200) X Mil-dots

-------------------------------------- = size of unit.

Example:

200 meter between me and my target (an officer).

There is 6.2 Mil-Dots tall on the guy.

200m X 6.2 Mil-dots

--------------------- = 1.24m tall

Now you can find your own siezes of custom units and what ever you want.

This was made beacuse i love the things that are making OPF more relistic. I love the mil-dot system and i want to see more of it. So if you are conserding making an sniper scope I hope you will consider mil-dot and have it work. I will be happy to add things you want to see or things specificly for you gun.<span id='postcolor'>

If you see any thing that needs to be changed, let me know.

I think that anyone who wants an M24 ought to use this in their addon- BAS, Code Blue, SJB, whoever.

I really hope you make an SVD or an M21. They would both be pretty cool.

Hmmm a picture guide would be nice, and the mil thing is easy to get a hang of. But it would be good with a picture guide to aiming with it (like on the C7 with elcan pack wich had guide on how to use it in pictures) Also i find it almost impossible to hit a moving UAZ (moving in the limited speed setting) With the M21 it's a piece of cake but with this it's damn near impossible (thanks to it being realistic wink.gif ) But once again damn good work, and i would love to see a SVD-Dragunov with realistic optics and bullet behaviour.

Teryan: Nice manual, but I think you've got something wrong. confused.gif

Average size of a soldier in Operation Flashpoint (measured in Oxygen Light) is, like in real life, approx. 1.75m while standing (gun on back), not 1.3m. If he is in "ready-to-fire" (gun in hand) position, he is slightly bended, therefore his height is 1.7m. For example, look at the following screenshot of my M3A scope (mounted on my M24).

m3a.jpg

Use the mil-relation formula and you'll see, that the height of a soldier is exaclty 1.7m. He is positioned at a range of 500m, his height in mils is 3.4.

1.7m x 1000 = 500m

3.4 mils

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PFC_Mike @ April 21 2003,16:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">how does it compare to the ToW M24 pack?<span id='postcolor'>

Well, my M24 SWS is made from scratch to it's realistic specs and it's not an inaccurate Counter-Strike model as Tales Of War's M24 (no offense, guys). I've briefly tested ToW's M24 and the inaccuracies I've found are detachable magazine (M24 has an internal, five-round capacity magazine), missing stock adjustment wheels (thick and thin wheel), inaccurate bolt body (take a look at Figure 2-3 on Page 2-4, Chapter 2 in Field Manual No. 23-10 "Sniper Training"), too long bolt handle, wrong trigger guard (it's the trigger guard found on Remington Model 700 not on M24), too slim foregrip, wrong (fictional) scope (U.S. Army M24 has mounted M3A Scope - Leupold Mark IV M3 10x40mm Optical Day Sight; also, rifle scopes don't have red lenses), fictional rings (Leupold Mark 4 1-piece base, which appears on ToW M24 accepts only Mark 4 Rings, Cross-Slot Rings and QRW/PRW Rings – neither of them looks like rings on ToW M24), mirrored right side of stock and bolt (ejection port on left side of the rifle), slightly inaccurate scope covers (take a look at Butler Creek flip-open scope covers) also the scope has inaccurate mil-dot reticle (it cannot be used for accurate range estimation, it has 5 mil dots on each side of reticle center instead of 4, the thick line begins too far form reticle center, it should start at the place of 5th mil dot).

I must admit I like the textures (CS models have really beautiful textures) and I especially like well-done grass and desert grass versions (inaccuracies aside). wink.gif

It makes me somehow really happy, that finaly someone made AND finished a good scope (realistic reticle that is).

I made a Blaser R93 Rifle with a Nightforce mil dot reticle with three magnification steps but it's not released yet. The only thing missing is the bullet trajectory calculation method in OFP because I would like to provide a bullet drop table.

Ideas anyone?

Acecube: Before I started making my M24 I was searching the forums and found your posts about Blaser R93, NightForce scope, OFP ballistics... From what I read and saw, you've done an excellent job in research of OFP capabilities concerning realistic sniping and you've made your rifle and it's scope as realistic as possible. It was your work that inspired me to make a M24.

I hope you release your excellent Blaser R93 soon. I can't wait to try it out. wink.gif

About the OFP bullet trajectory - I've made highly accurate bullet drop table for use with my M24 (it's in the m24.txt readme file that comes with my addon) for every 100m - from 100m to 800m (M24's effective range). Send me a private message and I'll tell you the details.

Andraz: The difference in the hights is (what i think to be) the problem that in the editor, the 100m marks are off (they might be 100 yard...). Another thing, whey you measured your guy, what was he? Officers are a little smaller than every one else (cuz of the hat). The math is corrrect (it is the same fourmla, just screwed with). So when i get some time (maby wensday) i will work on that. That also explans why our bullet drops were off.

What i plan to add:

correct- bullet drop, and sizes,

add- sizes of windows, and commander, gunner and dirver of BMP, and T72.

- there was some thing else..... but i forgot.

Good job again.

The marks on the maps define distances of 128 meters or 1.280 kilometers respectively.