Sign in to follow this  
Warin

The Dogs of War

Good morning,

This is the new thread for the discussion of the military aspects of the current conflict.  

This thread is for the discussion of events and actions in Iraq.  It is NOT an arena for political discussion.  The Iraq thread will remain open for that purpose.

So here are some basic rules:

No political discussions here!  That is a zero tolerance rule.  Politically oriented posts will be deleted, not moved

Even more than normal, no flaming.  Any flame wars will be ended with heavy post restrictions for all involved.

Lets keep it civil, people.

That is all wink.gif

Some middle-eastern news camera has a burning building on tv.First post smile.gif

Interesting point a news reporter just made, he said that it was strange that all of the lights in Iraq were still on, no kind of blackout attempted. Is this because it would be pointless? Or because Saddam hasnt got the lines of communication available to actually issue such blackout orders?

I'd say that all of that IR gun camera footage from the first Gulf War showed them that blackouts do essentially nothing when it comes to masking targets. So why make bother blacking out and making things difficult for emergency services moving about?

funny how you say that.Some ret.general on foxnews is saying that the US is not bombing(power plants,lines) it because they don't want the civilians to hate them or something.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Rumsfeld said he had heard similar reports of the Saddam regime setting fire to oil wells. "Needless to say, it is a crime for that regime to be destroying the riches of the Iraqi people."<span id='postcolor'>

Just another example of Rumsfeld talking out of his ass.  Iraqi mineral resources belong to the government.  They can do whatever they want with them.

(...hope this is in the right thread)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Bernadotte @ Mar. 20 2003,19:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Rumsfeld said he had heard similar reports of the Saddam regime setting fire to oil wells. "Needless to say, it is a crime for that regime to be destroying the riches of the Iraqi people."<span id='postcolor'>

Just another example of Rumsfeld talking out of his ass.  Iraqi mineral resources belong to the government.  They can do whatever they want with them.

(...hope this is in the right thread)<span id='postcolor'>

I don't think so.But if it is.burning Oil is polluting the world.It's not like you can just put them out with water,or wait until it runs out.Which makes it danger to put out those type of fire.

Im simply amazed at how fast things are happening, I would have thought the Attacking forces would use their Air advantage to good effect before actually moving ground forces in, but nope, not even a day has passed and they seem to be moving in, at least to a degree. I wonder if it will turn out to be a good tactic or a terrible one. Its quite shocking to see how fast they are moving on this. Imagine how the Iraqis are feeling right now.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KingBeast @ Mar. 20 2003,19:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Im simply amazed at how fast things are happening, I would have thought the Attacking forces would use their Air advantage to good effect before actually moving ground forces in, but nope, not even a day has passed and they seem to be moving in, at least to a degree. I wonder if it will turn out to be a good tactic or a terrible one. Its quite shocking to see how fast they are moving on this. Imagine how the Iraqis are feeling right now.<span id='postcolor'>

i thought it was going happen the first night.When they said it's going be fast,i believe they wouldn't wait for planes to soften the targets up.Because that would be just like the old gulf war plans.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Red Oct @ Mar. 20 2003,19:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">has there been any casualties?<span id='postcolor'>

you probably won't hear about any of them until tonight(america time of course).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Bernadotte @ Mar. 20 2003,19:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Rumsfeld said he had heard similar reports of the Saddam regime setting fire to oil wells. "Needless to say, it is a crime for that regime to be destroying the riches of the Iraqi people."<span id='postcolor'>

Well, that ol fields are being fired is a good topic for here.

Motivations and comments about world reaction should be in the political thread

Apparently the Americans are calling this initial action -

"Operation Opening Gambit"

Modmakers, taking notes? biggrin.gif

bush is going speak at 2:45pm est (it's about 1:50 pm now).

I guess it's offcial,the marines cross the border.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (foxer @ Mar. 20 2003,19:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Bernadotte @ Mar. 20 2003,19:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Rumsfeld said he had heard similar reports of the Saddam regime setting fire to oil wells. "Needless to say, it is a crime for that regime to be destroying the riches of the Iraqi people."<span id='postcolor'>

I don't think so.But if it is.burning Oil is polluting the world.It's not like you can just put them out with water,or wait until it runs out.Which makes it danger to put out those type of fire.<span id='postcolor'>

A company that my uncle works at here called CUD was contracted to put out any oilfield fires that might be started. I think they put dynomite into the fire and blow the fire out? I'll have to ask him how exactly they put out oilwell fires.

all that budget

all that intelligence

all those generals

all those smart computers

and they still can't come up with a better sodding name than operation Iraqi Freedom

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MrMilli @ Mar. 20 2003,14:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">all that budget

all that intelligence

all those generals

all those smart computers

and they still can't come up with a better sodding name than operation Iraqi Freedom<span id='postcolor'>

It's because Operation Flashpoint was taken already.

-=Die Alive=-

As a further note: Posts that stray into political discussion will be deleted. Please post in the Iraq thread if you think it stays into politcs please.

Just reported on TV here that US forces have captured the port on the small Iraqi island from where missiles were fired upon Kuwait earlier today.

Maximus, they do use dynamite (or some sort of explosives) to put out the fires, then they place a tube using a "Cat" with a big heatshield in front to force the oil up and away from the immediate area. At this point they use a "Cap" to place over the old xmas tree and seal it up nice and tight. That the jist of it, sorry i'm not a bit more technical about it, but i remember "Red Adair" and all those Crazy Brave souls doing it in the First Gulf war (damn i'm getting old).

I hear our lads have crossed the border too (the British). Lets wish them all Godspeed.

"According to Israel's Channel 1 TV news, none of the Iraqi missiles today were Scuds"

Thats in conlict with a report from Channel 4 news (UK) where i just saw a reporter say that US troops having inspected one of the craters have told him and other reporters that it was a scud, but they had no other way of confirming that.

We might have to wait a while to get certain confirmation either way

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IsthatyouJohnWayne @ Mar. 20 2003,20:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"According to Israel's Channel 1 TV news, none of the Iraqi missiles today were Scuds"

Thats in conlict with a report from Channel 4 news (UK) where i just saw a reporter say that US troops having inspected one of the craters have told him and other reporters that it was a scud, but they had no other way of confirming that.

We might have to wait a while to get certain confirmation either way<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, it will be a while for confirmation. Just because it makes a big hole like a scud does not mean it was a scud.

I heard that of the 5 missles fired last night 1 fell harmlessly into the desert and 2 were shot down by patriot 3's. But i am here at work and have not been able to follow up.