Sign in to follow this  
Warin

The Dogs of War

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (E6Hotel @ Mar. 20 2003,17:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hellfish6 @ Mar. 20 2003,23:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">MEUs are technically seperate from MEFs, right? Like I know that the 15th MEU is from the 1st MarDiv, but are they always under operational control of 1 MarDiv or CENTCOM?<span id='postcolor'>

<deep breath> Okay... from small to large:

A battalion (e.g. 1st Bn, 5th Marine Regt) is the ground combat element of a MEU.  

A division (e.g. 1 MarDiv) is the gce of a MEF.  Each MEF (we've got three -- I MEF in Pendleton, II MEF in Lejeune, and III MEF in Okinawa) has operational control of it's ground, air, and support elements.

Semper Fi<span id='postcolor'>

Oh, yeah, I know all that, but I always thought that when an MUE was deployed, it was more or less independent. Like when a Ranger battalion deploys, it is independent of the 75th Ranger Regiment and instead is under the command of the regional HQ or the Joint Chiefs.

I guess if there's an MEF HQ in the area, the MEU is then subordinate to that MEF. I wasn't sure if that was the case or if it was attached to CENTCOM directly or not.

Its getting pretty late for the large air campaign to start. I wonder if it'll happen tomorrow, or if it'll happen at all.

I was watching hillary someone reporting live when the sirens in Kuwait sounded and all the British soldiers went running past yelling "take cover, missiles!"

It was very funny watching her don here NBC suit while trying to hop over to the trenches where the troops were yelling at her and the camera guy to stop filming and take cover.

The Royal Marines have probably started to engage the 'enemy' in Basra, the media is being very quiet about the whole escapade though.

Amateurs. tounge.gif

Man, I like this thread, sorry nothing new to add this time.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hellfish6 @ Mar. 21 2003,00:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oh, yeah, I know all that, but I always thought that when an MUE was deployed, it was more or less independent. Like when a Ranger battalion deploys, it is independent of the 75th Ranger Regiment and instead is under the command of the regional HQ or the Joint Chiefs.<span id='postcolor'>

True.  If a MEU is on a typical deployment, it operates independently under the command of a Colonel.  The MEF's role is to coordinate the training and integration of the component units before deployment.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hellfish6 @ Mar. 21 2003,00:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I guess if there's an MEF HQ in the area, the MEU is then subordinate to that MEF. I wasn't sure if that was the case or if it was attached to CENTCOM directly or not.<span id='postcolor'>

Sounds good to me!  But seriously.  A MEU is subordinate to a MEF, which is subordinate to the "combatant commander," which in the present case I'd interpret to mean General Franks/CENTCOM.

Semper Fi

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jinef @ Mar. 21 2003,05:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I was watching hillary someone reporting live when the sirens in Kuwait sounded and all the British soldiers went running past yelling "take cover, missiles!"

It was very funny watching her don here NBC suit while trying to hop over to the trenches where the troops were yelling at her and the camera guy to stop filming and take cover.

The Royal Marines have probably started to engage the 'enemy' in Basra, the media is being very quiet about the whole escapade though.<span id='postcolor'>

hahaha, that sounds funny

anyway, i've heard that there have been NO coalition casualties. this is from fox news and I havent been able to back it up yet. i've also heard from fox news that they heard from the coalition that one of the missiles launched at Kuwait was a SCUD. wow.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Mar. 20 2003,16:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hahaha, that sounds funny

anyway, i've heard that there have been NO coalition casualties.  this is from fox news and I havent been able to back it up yet.  i've also heard from fox news that they heard from the coalition that one of the missiles launched at Kuwait was a SCUD.  wow.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Well we know that has to be a false report, Sadaam said he didn't have any SCUDS! biggrin.gif

I heard on CNN that there were no casualties reported; but that doesn't mean there haven't been any. Here's hoping there arn't any anyway.

I think that might be Tarik Aziz's former office.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Mar. 21 2003,01:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Whats this denoir?<span id='postcolor'>

Baghdad.

On the missiles that hid Kuwait earlier today - Swedish media (SVT 24) says the following:

Several Kuwaiti sources have stated that there were 14 casualties from the Iraqi attack, 12 of them US servicemen. The US military has strongly denied that there were any casualties. Iraq has made no claims, just saying that no scuds were used.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">bagdadetta425.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

That´s one of Saddams palaces in Baghdad.

7th mounted cavalry moves in from Kuwait direction to Basra.

Infantry that went in from Kuwait was identified as 2 marine divisions and the british desert rats in half division strength.

Jordania obviously hosts a 6000 men force at their border ready to move in. No ident yet. Jordania was donated money for that.

Recon units close in on Basra.

Massive aerial attacks on Baghdad are unlikely. Looks like the forces don´t want to destroy infrastructure for good reason. They will need it in a few days.

Saddam in my opinion is not in Baghdad anymore. I assume he is dug in with leading members of his regime to coordinate Bath party in violent operations after US have reached Baghdad.

Question for casualties are nonsense at the moment. Casualty numbers should be expected not sooner than in one week.

The assumed SCUDS fired to Kuwait are nothing than speculations. There has neither been a comfirmed number of aerial projectiles nor an identification of the objects.

It´s a bit strange NOT to see footage of patriots and scuds on TV as the SCUDS leave a strong visible trail, so do Patriots and arrows. The crate shown on TV looks more like Al Samuud class than conventional SCUD impact crate.

Not to sound cynical, but do not believe the US/UK when it comes to casulties.

Back in '91, true reports didn't come out for weeks about the death of service men. Don't forget, the military use the media as a tool, and telling the public that a load of your soldiers just got blown away by an antique ex Soviet missile doesn't look particulary good.

I wonder how many coalition troops will lose their lives in this one... And what do they exactly mean with "casaulty"? Is that just someone who is dead or do wounded troops count to?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Badgerboy @ Mar. 20 2003,17:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Not to sound cynical, but do not believe the US/UK when it comes to casulties.

Back in '91, true reports didn't come out for weeks about the death of service men. Don't forget, the military use the media as a tool, and telling the public that a load of your soldiers just got blown away by an antique ex Soviet missile doesn't look particulary good.<span id='postcolor'>

I think BBC is much more forthcoming with the info then the US media though.

When I worked at Circuit City (an electronics store) some guy explained it to me. US Media has to wait till all the families of the servicemembers are informed, whereas the BBC operates under seperate rules. Not sure how true this is, but he wouldn't buy a DirectTV and Sony Wega off of me till I promised him that he could get BBC on it. biggrin.gif

BBC does work on different principles. These days they actually work. During the Falklands, the BBC world service nicely told the Argies that they were not fusing their bombs.

Next day, we lost some ships. I swear, we should have shot that bastard reporter.

On casualties, the BBC might report the number, but won't name any names.

"Huge fireballs and explosions" reported in Basra. Reporter heard "large bombers" over head.

One anaylst said could be Marines calling in air against Iraqi tanks.

FoxNews just showed the B-52s in England sitting on the flightline and what looked like fueling operations. Shock and Awe Airlines direct to Iraq may be leaving soon...

I agree that it's way too early to talk casualties. That's the only thing we know for ceratain. If there were casualties we'll know it at soonest in a couple of weeks, depending on the outcome of the attacks.

I saw just a hilarious (no, wrong word, it was actually sad) report from a Swedish reporter in Kuwait city which was filmed during the attacks. She was interviewing a Kuwaiti man who was declaring his support for war saying that Saddam is going to be crushed and that he deserves it. During the interview the air raid sirens sounded. A couple of seconds after two explosions were heard and people started running everywhere, screaming. The reporters were evacuated into the basement of the hotel and issued gas masks. After the alarm sounded "all clear" they went out again to see total chaos. During those 30 minutes there had been over 100 traffic accidents in Kuwait City. People had not been issued gas masks and were in mass numbers trying to flee the city. The Swedish reporter managed to get a hold of the same man she was interviewing before. He was hysterical saying that the attack on Iraq must stop before Saddam kills them all, that USA had promised to protect Kuwait but that they have failed and that the whole operation should be called off and peace negotiations must start.

Apparently nobody was prepared for this. People had not been warned of the possibility, nobody had gas masks and people panicked. There were of course no chemical warheads and Kuwait City wasn't hit, but the population was really scared.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">One anaylst said could be Marines calling in air against Iraqi tanks.<span id='postcolor'>

Bah, I've heard the crap 'Analysts' have been coming out with for months.So far, they have been completely wrong!

As for this 'Shockand Awe' business.... Who the hell comes up with the catchphrases? A trained monkey? It's a bloody military campaign, not a media circus!

And don't get me started on 'Iraqi Freedom'.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Apparently nobody was prepared for this. People had not been warned of the possibility, nobody had gas masks and people panicked. There were of course no chemical warheads and Kuwait City wasn't hit, but the population was really scared. <span id='postcolor'>

Obviously, their memories don't stretch back 12 years.... Dozy gits!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Othin @ Mar. 21 2003,01:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">FoxNews just showed the B-52s in England sitting on the flightline and what looked like fueling operations.  Shock and Awe Airlines direct to Iraq may be leaving soon...<span id='postcolor'>

A convoy of munitions arrived RAF Fairford (The B-52 base) 2 days ago, reported to be carrying cruise missiles, however more recent pictures showed the bombers being loaded with convertional 500lb "dumb" bombs.

If anyone's interested it's a 7hr flight from Fairford to Iraqi Airspace and the bombers are B-52Hs belonging to the 5th Bombardment Wing (BW) "Barons" from Minot AFB, North Dakota. Thank God for "Air Forces Monthly."