Sign in to follow this  
Warin

Military technology

Small arms enthusiasts have been able to get military weapons for years. The well heeled have been able to get a Hummer for awhile now as well. And if you have connections you can even get yourself a MiG or a tank.

But for a change, here is a product that had it's roots in a military program, but is purely a civililian product

And I want one!

I think this would be sweet! Twice the cruise speed of a helicopter, and you dont need an airport to land at! Now all I need is a helicopter pad in the schoolyard across the street from my house! biggrin.gif

I'm not sure that I would want to fly in one of those keeping in mind the track record of the Ospray. confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 03 2003,19:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm not sure that I would want to fly in one of those keeping in mind the track record of the Ospray.  confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Bah!

As the article says, VRS wont be as big an issue, since it's not likely executives need the speed and precision in landing that a combat mission does! And this thing will be a lot lighter.

Considering how litigious Americans are, if this thing get certified, I am quite confidant that it will be safe. With liability lawsuits as widespread as they are in the general aviation sector, I cant imagine BA releasing the thing if htye have even a single doubt about its safety. smile.gif

it is no surprise. another milestone of military application converted to civilian use. by researching most effective method of destruction/defense, we push the ideas and have wider frontier that gives us more tehnology. Internet is good example.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Officials at Bell/Agusta, a joint venture of Bell Helicopter Textron Inc. and Italy's Agusta, are quick to explain that its BA 609 and the military's Osprey are built to different specifications and for different missions. Development on the civilian tilt-rotor project, however, was slowed because of the difficulty facing the military's Osprey. <span id='postcolor'>

hopefully it is safer.

nah, i'd stick to an average helicopter like a MH-6 or something of the same size. tounge.gif

Wow! wow.gif

It'd probably require a type rating and only be used by big businesses, maybe oil companies.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Mar. 03 2003,19:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> Now all I need is a helicopter pad in the schoolyard across the street from my house! biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

and a LOT of $$$ tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Heavy Metal @ Mar. 04 2003,02:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How about one of theses instead?

Moller Skycar

vidlinkimg.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

Heh. I rememebr seeing an article on that iteration of the Moller Skycar in a mid 80's issue of either Popular Mechanics or Popular Science.

I'm not holding my breath that I'll ever get to drive one of those beasties.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Mar. 03 2003,19:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As the article says, VRS wont be as big an issue<span id='postcolor'>

Yea, VRS would be nice for any expensive aircraft  wink.gif

Just build yourself a jetpack.

Many people do it as home projects.

You can even find instuctions on the internet.

Can you find the money for it online too? wink.gif

FLJP_lg.jpg

Interesting... to say the least.  wow.gif

Site says it's max altitude is 7000 MSL. crazy.gif

Not for me it isn't!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hit_Sqd_Maximus @ Mar. 04 2003,03:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Mar. 03 2003,19:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As the article says, VRS wont be as big an issue<span id='postcolor'>

Yea, VRS would be nice for any expensive aircraft  wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Read tha article, you!

Here is a good overview if you are interested in what Vortex Ring State means. And from what I can read, it's a problem with helicopters, as well as the Osprey.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Mar. 04 2003,06:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">FLJP_lg.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

I'm trading in my QuisineArt and Kenwood for one of those babies right now!

I don't think flying cars and jetpacs are really going to catch on, what happens when you have road rage at 2000 feet confused.gif

I don't want to be dodging flaming debris walking down the street smile.gif

Flying cars are probably the absolute worst idea I've ever heard. Flying is something I enjoy a whole lot. I've put a lot of time, money, and effort into it as a hobby and as a future career. I wont stand to see every drunk driver or road rager get in an airplane and wing it (pun intended).

On the other hand, if they had to get at least a recreational pilots liscense in the US I'd be happy. Maybe we should make a new type of airspace specifically for aero-cars.

Flying is a thing which should be less exclusive in some areas but then again, some idiots who can't control a car would have no chance with a plane. Things would get too risky, the airspace is too crowded already in lot's of MEDCs.

You need a new type of pilot for them now, lot's of buisness there for us types if these things get popular.

I imagine in the future suffiently complex and capable integrated air control systems could be developed with computer control to the required destination, automatic collision avoidance etc for hundreds of thousands or millions of vehicles. I believe that was/is the plan for flying cars

but

a. it aint gonna happen for ages

b. i want to ride free as a bird with my supa-dupa jet pack

WHeeeeeeeeeeeeee e e e ee e e e e e

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">b. i want to ride free as a bird with my supa-dupa jet pack

WHeeeeeeeeeeeeee e e e ee e e e e e <span id='postcolor'>

Get killed in a MP OFP match with gull respawn, put your 3D glasses on and there you go biggrin.gif

Eek ! Eek !