Sign in to follow this  
Nic

Sync game time with system time...

Was just curious if there was any way to make the game time the same as your system time.

I thought I remember seeing someone talking about that a long long time ago - (I tried searching this board but "system" and "time" come up with a mess of things).

Oh, I don't know, I think maybe I was the one talking about it. You could potentially do it by writing an external proggie that edits your mission.sqm with the current day time or edits some other file which you read during the mission.

Anyway, I never actually bothered to get this going and I'm not sure if someone else solved this one. Best thing would be if OFP scripts had access to the system time...

I once made the suggestion to BIS to implement a sync function to OFP. It would be cool to have a handle in the mission setup screen to play it at the actual system time or the given mission time. Anyway it is not possible to do it right now and I don´t know if my plea was heard at BIS.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Balschoiw @ Feb. 18 2003,09:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don´t know if my plea was heard at BIS.<span id='postcolor'>

I hope it was confused.gif

Yes BIS, we need more access to things like system time, why not the registry tounge.gif j/k

This would be pretty nice, I could use it to be a dictator...

I have this one friend that only understands playing MP OFP LATE in the night, but whines about darkness in OFP. This way I could tell him: well, you want to play during the night but you don't like darkness? crazy.gifsmile.gif

Serious now. I think the problem can´t be that hard to be solved in a new version of OFP. Read out the system time and replacing the time given in description.ext can´t be that hard.

Suma ?

The problem is that we cant do it on our own as the external data source is not accesable by all means. If it was possible with scripting or other tricks someone would have done it already. The proble is that OFP itself ( the engine) does not support external data implemetation. I am no programmer but I think it can´t be that hard to be implemented.

Same with the horn sound during multiplayer games biggrin.gif

I´d love to have it smile.gif

Guest jacobaby

Its only any use in SP anyway, unless all your players MP are in the same time zone.

Its very easy to implement a time selection option into SP and MP games, perhaps with half hour increments, but you could make that as accurate as you wish.

The new demo missions with the BAS Deltas and Rangers have this in.

TJ

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Its only any use in SP anyway, unless all your players MP are in the same time zone.

<span id='postcolor'>

No I don´t think it is for SP only. There are several teams that play in the same TZ and if the server distributet the mission time to the clients I see no problem here.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The new demo missions with the BAS Deltas and Rangers have this in.<span id='postcolor'>

Yes I also have the time selection implemented but it is not the same. I mean a button to sync it with system time would be best.

....and pls resize your signature

I think there could be a rather easy solution, but as bn880 said, it would require a small programm which runs in the background. Maybe I can do one this evening.

The program would create/ edit a time file every minute. The file can be read via include in the description.ext  wink.gif

"MissionStart" return when exactly the mision started (array - [year,month,...]), so it is possible. But it works in MP only.

Well, if you guys happen to figure something out let me know will ya. wink.gif