Sign in to follow this  
multimedia

What to expect ?

Just mailed today an order for cheapest ADSL connection ie. 256 kb/s.

What kind of pings should I expect to see ?? For comparison, I tried once to join a co-op game with my 56-modem and ping started from 750, so I desided not to even try anymore...

What servers would you recommend for somebody located in Finland ?

Do you have any pointers of what to do when running into problems ??

Hope everything goes fine and you'll see me soon running wild in the woods of Everon : )

It all depends on where the servers are located, but I would expect ping times that are no more than 1/3 of what you were getting with the analog modem.

i believe a ping of 90-120 on an average is normal for your connection (but as said earlier: it depends on the server).

have fun smile.gif

Like any type of connection, your connection with dsl will depend greatly on the server...The dsl will help alot and widen your area of ability to play...the best thing to do is find a couple servers that you connect to well and stick with them...I would advise against playing on cable servers...regardless of what you hear, most of them just dont have the power to run a good server...find a dedicated server that runs well for you and make it your primary game spot....most servers have a crowd of regualrs that play on them so you will also find some folks that you can actually have some good team games with this way.

I don't get all those complains of people with non-broadband connections. I recently got ADSL (a month ago) before that I was on a dail-up as well. And I never complained about my ping. I got 50-60 pings in most games (NOT HOSTED BY MY ISP).

For example, my isp is hosted in The Netherlands, when I connected to an Italian server I would get pings around 60-90 (OFP,Quake1,2,3, Half-Life, Unreal etc etc).

About the ping you'll recieve with DSL with 256 kb/s. Hmm I think around 50-80. But it depends on your ISP. I'm not sure, but I thought the speeds in Finland are pretty fast. I played a lot of DoD on a Finnish server in my dail-uo days, got a steady 75 ping.

ping does not depend on your ISP

it depends on the traffic between your ISP and another

the amount of HOPs (nodes)

and the time it takes at each node

I'm using Telenor ADSL 1mbit dl with 256kbit ul, within Norway and good servers I usually land on 10-20ms to the game server. By hosting OFP games with 4-5 ppl I'm <5ms and their <50ms since everyone uses adsl or cable. ISDN client would land on 90-120ms with 6 players & game hosted by me.

I got connected !!!!!!!

Haven't had time to try OFP on the but I refreshed OFP serverlist on the Eye and the best ping I saw was around 30. Yet to see what's it in the game.

Can't wait to get kids to bed....