Sign in to follow this  
Mister Frag

Us launches scud missile

From http://www.nbc4.tv/news/1805551/detail.html

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Scud Missile Launched From Vandenberg Air Force Base

Launch Part Of Test Program

POSTED: 11:34 a.m. PST November 25, 2002

LOS ANGELES -- A Scud missile was launched early Monday as part of a program to obtain research data in the development of missile defense systems.

The missile was fired at about 1:30 from a mobile launcher. It reached an altitude of 281,000 feet and traveled 300 kilometers before it fell into the ocean.

The launch from Vandenberg Air Force Base did not involve an intercept attempt.

The launch, the second this month, is part of a $13 million test program that will help develop an advanced version of the Patriot missile and other defense technologies.

The Patriot was used to shoot down larger, modified versions of the Scud launched by Iraq during the 1991 Gulf War. <span id='postcolor'>

I wonder where they got the SCUDs from...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Nov. 25 2002,22:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wonder where they got the SCUDs from...<span id='postcolor'>

Food for Scuds trade agreement with North Korea? confused.gifsmile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The Patriot was used to shoot down larger, modified versions of the Scud launched by Iraq during the 1991 Gulf War.<span id='postcolor'>

Not quite. It's now been proven that the Block 1 Patriot actually failed to shoot down any scuds in the Gulf. It managed 1 skin on skin, which ended up with the warhead plowing into buildings anyway. It was actually a massive PR exercise, partly to keep Isreal out of the war.

But still those bloody newsies quote it!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Nov. 25 2002,21:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wonder where they got the SCUDs from...<span id='postcolor'>

They could have easily got them from Russia. They've already bought a couple of Su-27s from them, some MiG-29's from Moldova, and an S-300 from The Ukraine.

<span style='color:red'>*edit*</span> LMAO Damn you Ralph!!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

There are gaggles of SCUDS in the U.S. Just a few weeks ago I was almost an accident with one at an intersection here on base. The driver of the MAZ (543?) didn't realize there was a stop sign, and almsot plowed into the duty van I was in.

FSU equipment isn't hard to obtain. If you have the money, you can get pretty much anything you want. MIGS on ebay is just the tip of the iceberg smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Badgerboy @ Nov. 25 2002,21:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The Patriot was used to shoot down larger, modified versions of the Scud launched by Iraq during the 1991 Gulf War.<span id='postcolor'>

Not quite. It's now been proven that the Block 1 Patriot actually failed to shoot down any scuds in the Gulf. It managed 1 skin on skin, which ended up with the warhead plowing into buildings anyway. It was actually a massive PR exercise, partly to keep Isreal out of the war.

But still those bloody newsies quote it!<span id='postcolor'>

Saw a show on The History Channel (they should just rename it The War Channel), about the Gulf War. It suggested that the Patriots did shoot down some SCUDS, but a "skin to skin" was RARE. They never tried to directly intercept a SCUD but rather get it close enough that the detonation of the Patriot would destroy the incoming missle.

Since the Patriot was never meant for that role, they had to do a lot of "learning by mistakes."

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Nov. 26 2002,02:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wonder where they got the SCUDs from...<span id='postcolor'>

Probably Russia I'd imagine. After the soviet union fell the economy crumbled so everyone's trying to make a buck, including Russian officers. Which is how a lot of terrorists get supplys.

But the U.S. probably bot them legitimately.

We might have some that were captured in '91. Though there were probably very few SCUDs if any in that part of Iraq.

The U.S. Gov. Has ownership of all sorts of "enemy", and "former enemy" weapons/hardware.

Only reason they'd have them would be for research (yeah.. like they need that out-dated technology) or to destroy them later on.. confused.gif

You should make some better topic titles smile.gif

I almost thought America had started the war against Iraq smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ Nov. 26 2002,17:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You should make some better topic titles smile.gif

I almost thought America had started the war against Iraq smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, the moderators here (especially the Volvo fanatic one) are experts when it comes to identifying potentially misunderstood topic titles. They must be on their tea break.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Nov. 25 2002,18:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ Nov. 26 2002,17:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You should make some better topic titles smile.gif

I almost thought America had started the war against Iraq smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, the moderators here (especially the Volvo fanatic one) are experts when it comes to identifying potentially misunderstood topic titles. They must be on their tea break.<span id='postcolor'>

You are right, this post has been alive for a couple hours now and still no response, this is spooky...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Nov. 26 2002,17:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ Nov. 26 2002,17:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You should make some better topic titles smile.gif

Yes, the moderators here (especially the Volvo fanatic one) are experts when it comes to identifying potentially misunderstood topic titles. They must be on their tea break.<span id='postcolor'>

Perhaps if some folks didnt choose deliberately inflamatory topics to draw attention to their spa.... er... posts... there wouldnt be need to make such comments.

biggrin.gif

It doesnt surprise me in the least to know that the US maintains possible OPFOR gear. After all, how can you know what to expect if you never see/hear it!

'That was an AK-47, the preferred weapon of your enemies. It has a rather distinctive sound when fired at you!'

-Half Ass quote from 'Heartbreak Ridge"