Sign in to follow this  
Gen.Carnage

How to define attributes in o2

Can anyone please explain to me what i would have to do to define a tank in O2?

I have this fully skinned model sitting in there, i toy around with the LOD's, make selection groups and stuff.

But i have NO CLUE how to :

-define where the crew gets in the vehicle

-define where the driver,gunner and commander will sit

-define how these crewmen will be when in "turn out" position.

- How to define the turret rotation axis

- How to define the gun axus

- defining the tracks

- The wheels

- the coaxial gun

- the head and tail lights.

- how to define the muzzleflash and smoke

PLEASE someone point me in the right direction, i am getting nowhere this way.

I've installed a zillion Terabyte harddisk and downloaded half the internet, but i just cannot find that info anywhere.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">-define where the crew gets in the vehicle<span id='postcolor'>

In LOD "Memory" by point named "pos driver" (without quotes)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">-define where the driver,gunner and commander will sit<span id='postcolor'>

By "Proxy" object`s. For M1A1like vehicle it will be "proxy:M1A1driver.01" for driver, "proxy:M1A1commander.01" for commander and "proxy:M1A1gunner.01" for gunner.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">- How to define the turret rotation axis<span id='postcolor'>

In LOD "Memory" by point named "OsaVeze"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">- How to define the gun axus<span id='postcolor'>

In LOD "Memory" by point named "OsaHlavne"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">- defining the tracks<span id='postcolor'>

In LOD "Memory" by points named "stopaLL" (track Left Left), "stopaLR" (track Left Right), "stopaRR" (track Right Right) and at last "stopa RL" (track Right Left).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">- The wheels<span id='postcolor'>

Wheels must be named. "kolL1", "kolL2" and "kolP1", "kolP2" (L means Left and P means Right) for non "bumping" wheels (like driving wheels). Other wheels should be named "koloL1" - "koloL6" and "koloP1" - "koloP6".

note: This wheel names are just for tanks.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">- the coaxial gun<span id='postcolor'>

In LOD "Memory" by point named "kulas"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">- the head lights.<span id='postcolor'>

In LOD "Memory" by points named "P svetlo" for Right light and "Konec P svetla" for right light course and "L svetlo" for Right light and "Konec L svetla" for left light course

May I ask... is Wiev Geometry what AI use to detect vehicle behind other objects?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">May I ask... is Wiev Geometry what AI use to detect vehicle behind other objects?<span id='postcolor'>

Yes. And objects hided behind View Geometry are not rendered. If is View Geometry not present, is used Geometry.

I have noticed some of these group/memory names can be changed from the config.cpp, for example there is a setting like this:

class Turret

{

gunAxis="OsaHlavne";

turretAxis="OsaVeze";

gunBeg="usti hlavne";

gunEnd="konec hlavne";

minElev=-4;

maxElev=20;

minTurn=-360;

maxTurn=360;

body="OtocVez";

gun="OtocHlaven";

};

So if those Czech namings confuse you you can change them to something you remember better smile.gif

adn what is the problem if i place the m109 in the editor and push preview and he returns to windows without a error?

what do i have to do?

Araon: I still dont know what the Fire Geometry LOD do!?!

FlipeR

Vixer:

You probably miss some vital lods. I tried previewing a model a couple days ago and the game crashed. When I looked in o2, it was because it only had model LODs, not geometry or memory (or anything else).

thnx Gimbal

I'm a bit confused as to what to call the rest of the geometry

- I make a named selection for the turret, how do i name it?

- Is the body of the tank called "OtocVez"?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In LOD "Memory" by points named "stopaLL" (track Left Left), "stopaLR" (track Left Right), "stopaRR" (track Right Right) and at last "stopa RL" (track Right Left).<span id='postcolor'>

- Could you please explain more detailed what you exactly mean with the tracks? what points are left left, and left right?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote

-define where the crew gets in the vehicle

In LOD "Memory" by point named "pos driver" (without quotes)

<span id='postcolor'>

By "point" do you mean a point entity or something like that?

Or do i put in a box and give it a selection name "pos driver"?

This must sound really stupid, but since i cant get the model to work in ofp (it keeps crashing to desktop) i'm thinking there must be something wrong with the definitions.

If you want to define the point where the crew gets in the vehicle, you make a VERTEX (simply press "Insert" key on the keyboard) and name his selection "pos driver"! If you want the vehicle to be accessible from both sides, you make TWO vertices (one on each side) with the same selection name - "pos driver"!

For passengers (in UH60 for instance) its the same procedure but different selection name - "pos cargo"!

Hope it helped!

FlipeR

that helped allright! Thanks a lot

Maybe you have an idea as to why this model doesnt get skinned in ofp when it does appear skinned in bulldozer?

i've use stuffpbo and PBOtool to put the texture.pac in the pbo (i've put all textures for all surfaces of the tank into one tga file 1024x1024 res).

Been working on this ALL day, i'm completely at the end of my rope, NOTHING seems to work, i've tried all sorts of paths, even did some retexturing etc, all it gives me is full white tank in ofp.

Any ideas?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i've use stuffpbo and PBOtool to put the texture.pac in the pbo (i've put all textures for all surfaces of the tank into one tga file 1024x1024 res).

<span id='postcolor'>

OFP absolutely doesn't support texture files that are 1024x1024. 512 max. Resistance upgrade will make 1024 textures possible. Keep it in mind when you make your textures smile.gif

Konyak

Right! Texture size must be numbers of power square of 2! 16,32,64,.... up to 512x512! Thats the limit!

FlipeR

ok, i've resized the bitmap to 512x512 and still no go!

in bulldozer it appears correctly, and bulldozer uses the ofp engine (?)

MAN this is really starting to eat at me!

in pure frustration i started on another unskinned tank, so i thought, better use small textures and plain box  and plane mappings.

so i do this all and guess what?

a completely white tank in ofp!

i've placed the pac files along with the p3d and the config in a folder with the right name, tried putting the pac in the ..\data\ folder, tried doing it both......... NOTHING WORKS!!!

the largest texture i used on this tank is 128x128

and AGAIN, in the viewer its ok, but after stuffing it into a pbo its all white..

Dont tell me the textures have to have specific names or something confused.gif that would be so cruel!

i think there HAS to be some sort of wrong setting in the p3d .

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">and AGAIN, in the viewer its ok, but after stuffing it into a pbo its all white..<span id='postcolor'>

Where are your textures placed when viewing in Buldozer? Where are they placed when in pbo file (what relative paths)? What paths are used to reference them from model file (you can see this is face properties)?

the textures are automatically converted from the .max location to the f:\data folder  i dont want them there, but thats what it does.

So i copy the converted pac files to the d:\..\operationflashpoint\addons\challenger2\data folder

bulldozer is placed in f:\

the addons folder is on d:\..\..\operationflashpoint\addons

oxygen sits in d:\oxygen

the addon is placed in the folder d:\..\..\operationflashpoint\addons\challenger2

the pac files in the d:\..\operationflashpoint\addons\challenger2\data folder

In ox, with the texture display on the left enabled it states;

data\tracks.pac, data\wheel1.pac, data\camo.pac etc etc.

so as far as i know, the relative position is the \data\ folder from the main addon folder

under face properties it says data\camo.pac for a certain part of the vehicle

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the textures are automatically converted from the .max location to the f:\data folder i dont want them there, but thats what it does.

<span id='postcolor'>

This is where Buldozer finds them. You can change this default location by changing objektiv setting - when working on challenger2 set your O2 so that is converts textures into f:\Chal2 folder. (Keep the name short because of texture name lenght limitation).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">so as far as i know, the relative position is the \data\ folder from the main addon folder

under face properties it says data\camo.pac for a certain part of the vehicle<span id='postcolor'>

I think I can see now what the problem is. Program tries to load your texture from data.pbo, but it cannot find it there (no surprise).

I suggest you a little bit different directory structure. Place both your model and textures into folder f:\chal2, do not create any data folder inside of it. Make sure your textures are referenced as chal2 (like chal2\camo.pac). This way program will know it should load the texture from Chal2.pbo file.

ok, i'll try that and post the result.

Thank you very much for the help.

Will we get to beta test the challenger2? See, I've also made one, LOL and maybe I can suggest something to it... never know.

CH2 ROCKS!

hehe i FINALLY got the skin thing sorted out, thank to SUMA.

now i can start with the damage control and touching up the textures, since 245x256 is not enough for covering the whole tank.

Thanks Suma!

245x256 confused.gifbiggrin.gif  You hopefully ment 256x256! wink.gif

Will we get it for BETA test?

FlipeR