Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Meet the lod family

Where's the LOD for custom crosshairs hidden, eg, for rifle scopes?

Never forget your shovel. Remember: A sanitary battlefield is a happy battlefield.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wardog @ Dec. 07 2002,04:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Where&#39;s the LOD for custom crosshairs hidden, eg, for rifle scopes?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    It&#39;s view geo. lod, I think

Hi there. I myself have made a few rules for making models in O2, be it vehicles or map objects.

1. The Geometry LOD should be slightly larger than the model itself.

(if the Geometry LOD is smaller than the model you get the error of being able to look through the object when you run up to it.)

2. The Fire- and View Geometry LODs should be slightly smaller than the model.

(if they are bigger you sometimes get strange effects like bullets hitting thin air and objects that are partially behind the model sometimes disappearing.)

3. I have a system for making weapon LODs:

View Pilot: max 800 poly (LODnoShadow - 1)
    LOD 0.1000: max 500 poly(LODnoShadow - 1)
    LOD 0.5000: max 300 poly
    LOD 0.7500: max 200 poly
    LOD 1.0000: max 100 poly
    LOD 1.2500: max 70 poly
    LOD 1.5000: as few polys as possible

(This way the weapon should work fine and cause no lag.)

Gigabyte P67X-UD3-B3 Motherboard | Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.0GHz | NVidia GeForce GTX770 4GB
    16GB Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz RAM | Kingston HyperX SSD | ASUS Xonar D2X
    sound | be Quiet! 700W PSU | Windows 7 x64

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by (Kegetys @ July 18 2002,16:26)
    Quote Originally Posted by (Konyak-2 @ July 18 2002,16:28)
    3. Memory LOD. Handles definitions for animated things, axis points, lights, smoke and so on. Quite a bitch because it&#39;s all in czech ***
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]

...but if you dont like Czech, you can change most of the memory point names from the config
    I thought so .... but how exactly to do that? Could someone here post a brief snippet, even one line, that shows how we can remap the Czech vocabulary to a language we are more familiar with [in my case, English]? That&#39;d be super.

I have but one question.
    If I have made a model of a man that has some special objects attached to him that are nonloded. IE the texture isn&#39;t looser on them and such as the degradeing quality on other lod section models. So how can I reduce the vertex and pollyandquality of the showen texture on the model?
    Or do I have to go and make a whole new low resolution model of the man ? Or wil the lods automaticly increasing in number change the quality of the model if I copy paste it?

The only way I know to do this is make a new model for the LOD--but I&#39;m no expert. The point of the LODs is to have models with fewer faces on them, so pasting the same model into the LODs is the wrong thing to do.

The good news is that the LOD models don&#39;t need as much work--you can make them pretty basic. The bad news is that you have to map them with the images, though.

How many lods are good 3? any bigger than that and thep3ds seem unwieldy. (I&#39;ll just copy paste BIS lods and re add hat I need.)

Quote Originally Posted by (Drill Sergeant @ Aug. 18 2003,07:05)
    How many lods are good 3? any bigger than that and thep3ds seem unwieldy. (I&#39;ll just copy paste BIS lods and re add hat I need.)
    minimal 4 or 5 Lods up to 8 or something

It all depends on the model. The numbers on the previous page are a good guide, but obviously an addon with only 100 faces doesn&#39;t need 5 LODs

Quote Originally Posted by (Kegetys @ July 18 2002,16:26)
    ...but if you dont like Czech, you can change most of the memory point names from the config
    Kegetys: could you please post a snippet of code in this thread that shows how to change these memory point names? I would appreciate it. No one else has responded to my request--perhaps no one else who&#39;s read this thread knows how.

thank you,

MoonCaine

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast