Sign in to follow this  
JS440

Understanding clock when enemy spoted.

When mission starts i think clock corresponds to north then if you look north and see enemy you will report "Enemy Soldier 2 o clock" if here somewhere NE from you.

However later on this clock somehow shifts and does not correspond north anymore.

I know for sure clock does not correspond to your view because i can select team member click ALT+Mouse1 right in front of me in the center and will say "Watch 8 o click" rather than 12 o click.

When playing on Difficult with all aids (including clock on top of screen) turned off, how do you understand when your team members say "enemy soldier 5 o clock" where i supposed to look?

Me and my little tests again.

The clock appears to be relative to the direction in which the leader of the group last moved in.

The direction he was facing doesn't matter, as for example if he's walking backwards then he's facing 6 o'clock, if he's sidestepping right then 9 o'clock, etc.

The clock gets updated pretty slowly as the group leader turns and moves, so in many situations (urban combat for example) it's pretty unreliable for referencing contacts.

I hope I was understandable.

Indeed this is how it works thanks for your help again.

Wonder if there's some mod / update to this reporting system available to actually report based on the viewing angle or say north or southwest etc or say compass bearing.

Reporting bearings (in real life) is always supposed to be from the unit's overall facing or direction of movement. I do not know exactly how Arma is doing the math on that, but it's clearly what they are trying to model.