Sign in to follow this  
clawhammer

Visible sidearms in holster, is it true?

It's actually been true for a while now, and CUP's Alwarren has already started implementating it for their ported-over uniforms/vests.

It's actually been true for a while now, and CUP's Alwarren has already started implementating it for their ported-over uniforms/vests.
This is happening in an upcoming Arma 3 update

Confuesed a little, so basicly it is included but not used by the standartunits or what? Because i read happening in an upcoming update...

(Sry i dont started arma a while ago)

Default A3 units have side arm holstered, you can finally see this visually

Looks fkn great :)

Confuesed a little, so basicly it is included but not used by the standartunits or what? Because i read happening in an upcoming update... (Sry i dont started arma a while ago)
The capability is there in the engine at long last, and CUP's screenshots are proof that it's accessible to community modders.

That's pretty cool. I hope they are gonna add magazine proxies next, so I can unload weapons as easily as we can remove attachments.

That's pretty cool. I hope they are gonna add magazine proxies next, so I can unload weapons as easily as we can remove attachments.

Oh you wish :rolleyes:

Did Bohemia ever claim that such specifically required the currently DayZ-exclusive "object oriented programming" switch to how weapons exist in the engine? (That is, as opposed to Arma 3's "weapons are strings" that was admitted in their official reason for no bullet-in-the-chamber.)

everyone does, but not gonna happen, simply because of how the reload animation is set ;)

Did Bohemia ever claim that such specifically required the currently DayZ-exclusive "object oriented programming" switch to how weapons exist in the engine? (That is, as opposed to Arma 3's "weapons are strings" that was admitted in their official reason for no bullet-in-the-chamber.)

Once they did - also they said it would been "easy enough to do that" , because it uses same system as all attachments - just its a magazine

---------- Post added at 11:26 ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 ----------

everyone does, but not gonna happen, simply because of how the reload animation is set ;)

well , i don't see any issue with that - since you got the reload anim set in the main weapon class , not in magazine

ofc there would be probably clipping hands issues with some magazines and with reload anims too

that's a same problem with the current attachment system - model clipping is on scope attachments too (that depends on the weapon model)

well , i don't see any issue with that - since you got the reload anim set in the main weapon class , not in magazine

ofc there would be probably clipping hands issues with some magazines and with reload anims too

that's a same problem with the current attachment system - model clipping is on scope attachments too (that depends on the weapon model)

Yeah, but you don't interact with the scope (i mean the character doesn't via animation), but it does with the magazine, hence the clipping is a lot more obvious. An update system would need to allow reload magazine anim set into the magazine, not the weapon btw.

Imagine, reloading a 30rn 5.56 stanag mag into a m249 for instance. Also, you can only set the anim for the weapon mag in the weapon model.cfg. While that would work perfectly for most (45rnd 5.45 mags together with 30rn 5.45 - similar shape and reload anim), reloading a drum mag would simply show a weird clipping hand through the mag model.

I guess it is the same reason to why underbarrel GLs are not attachments (hand positions).

Better yet re: sidearms in holsters, the means to implement it in community-made vests is documented at the BIKI: just add a proxy to the vest pointing to \A3\Characters_F\Proxies\pistol_holstered.p3d and then customize its appearance in said holster with a holster memory point in the pistol model and the holsterOffset and holsterScale properties in the pistol config.

The original poster should keep in mind that sidearms are only visibile on vests that have the holster modelled.

It would be interesting to see BI lock/unlock the sidearm slot dependant on whether or not the unit had a holster/capable vest equipped. I'd rather them lock the backpack slot for ghillie suits first though.

Yes they're coming in the next update which seems to be hitting stable in a week or so depending on what issues arise. You can check out the sidearms in holsters now with access code Arma3Update148RC. The sidearm is based on what you have equipped and it's also shown for every player, including AI.

Yeah, but you don't interact with the scope (i mean the character doesn't via animation), but it does with the magazine, hence the clipping is a lot more obvious. An update system would need to allow reload magazine anim set into the magazine, not the weapon btw.

Imagine, reloading a 30rn 5.56 stanag mag into a m249 for instance. Also, you can only set the anim for the weapon mag in the weapon model.cfg. While that would work perfectly for most (45rnd 5.45 mags together with 30rn 5.45 - similar shape and reload anim), reloading a drum mag would simply show a weird clipping hand through the mag model.

I guess it is the same reason to why underbarrel GLs are not attachments (hand positions).

That doesn't seem that difficult to implement on BI's end. The only problem I can see is that, for example, an M4A1 and an AUG A3 both use STANAG mags but reload in entirely different ways.

The original poster should keep in mind that sidearms are only visibile on vests that have the holster modelled.

It would be interesting to see BI lock/unlock the sidearm slot dependant on whether or not the unit had a holster/capable vest equipped. I'd rather them lock the backpack slot for ghillie suits first though.

mmmmm but csat also have pistol, maybe is an universal system.......

This is something I've been hoping to see in ARMA for a while now. A lot of games have a side holster but never seem to actually hold anything.

You can already set the reload gestures per magazine by including a reloadAction parameter in the magazine class. This is how we have separate reload gestures for the game's UGLs. The problem is that the reload gesture for that magazine is then the same regardless of the weapon - which is rather useless for magazine commonality between weapons.

And as you say, it also doesn't solve any issues with how those different magazine reload gestures might sync with the reloadMagazine source animation in the model.cfg for the weapon.

Edited by da12thMonkey

Oh how I wish they would do magazine proxies, and while they're at it, allow RTM's for weapon reloading with a magazine proxy in ArmaMan instead of the model-cfg based stuff that needs to perfectly line up, standing and prone...