Sign in to follow this  
zxc

Wind "blowing" in my ears

This is a pb I've always had with ofp: when I'm in first person mod and I walk, I get a sort of white noise. It looks very much like the wind blowing in your ears. When I run, it gets worse. When I stop moving, I crawl or when I'm in 3rd person mod: nothing at all.

I've always thought that to be normal (due to the wind) although very annoying when playing, but I realised there was smthg wrong when 1 of my friends ran the game on his pc and had no such pb.

I've searched the forum and theavonlady FAQ but found nothing. I expected it to have been discussed in this forum b4 and I really hope I haven't missed out any thread while searching it. I often read "crackling noise" pbs instead. But my sound has always worked very well in that game from any point of view... well apart from this "blowing wind" in my ears.

I have an Athlon 1GHz, geforce 3 Ti-200, 256 Mb DDR, onboard 128bit SB card with hardware acceleration. I had cold war crisis v1.46 and just installed resistance to v1.85 (and still have the same pb).

Anyone has heard of that pb b4? Or is that normal?

Thanks in advance of any help! smile.gif

This might sound silly, but it's not your characters breathing your talking about is it?

It's always louder in 1st person, and increases when you run.

That's not silly, You r right to ask the question just in case!

No it's definitely not my character breathing. I can hear that too and it's a distinctive noise. I can easily hear both breathing and "blowing wind" at the same time.

Thanks anyway!

the same thing occur when u are in a jet *i tried with an A10*....

I u go outside the map the wind begin to slowly increase, to a very loud and annoying sound.

Well i dont think it's due to breathe no ?  wink.gif

For crackling sound... i just disabled my EAX and Hardware acceleration AND TOO MY MUSIC INGAME.... yes BIS heard that.... the soundtrack u use is maybe the worst audio codec i ever know *8 years i m doing personnally audio recording i think i know from what i speak*

I've never tried or noticed that... Actually I've already used A10 and never had such a problem so far.

But my problem is on the ground with no vehicle. I've never had a sound problem of any sort when using any kind of vehicle.

By the way, I don't use EAX, turn down music to the min and use hardware acceleration. Oh yes, as I said I've never had any "crackling sound" pb but "blowing wind" pb only wink.gif

Thanks anyway! smile.gif

All my audio issues in OFP were cured when I went into dxdiag.exe and turned off my audio accelleration from there.

Might be worth a shot.

U're right Angry Radish, I've tried it some time ago and I don't remember any improvement at all. I promise I will try again tonight anyway...

I got also that directx.cpl file from the avon lady FAQ a long time ago, installed it, put directsound debug level to the minnimum but didn't notice any change at all.

I'm really desperate to find out what the pb is, I know my drivers are all up-to-date, I don't have any sound pb at all with any other game either, apart from that "blowing wind" in ofp, which made me think it was actually normal. Can't find anyone with the same pb either... sad.gif

Thanks anyway! smile.gif

Maybe your OFP character has asthma. Don't forget, this game is very realistic. biggrin.gif

Seriously though, sounds like it could be the "noise.wss" file. I find it more annoying than useful so I blanked it out. dePBO "sound.pbo", and replace "noise.wss" with a blank audio file (encode it with wssCOD) then stuff the Sound.pbo back and try the game. It's a longshot but it might work.

Wahooo that sounds cool!!! smile.gif

I had never heard of that trick b4 and I will try it tonight, will tell u if it works. By the way, u said it was more annoying than useful but... what is this noise.wss file?? What is its purpose?

In the mean time, if anyone else has a suggestion, I would like to try it as well (in case the noise.wss trick doesn't work).

Thanks very much for your help!! biggrin.gif

noise.wss within Sound.pbo is just a noise sound. It sounds really crappy and is usually what you hear when flying a helicopter too fast or fall without a parachute. It just sounds really awful and can get way too loud at times.

I believe the sound you are refering to is actually the wind.

Is the sound louder if you stand at the top of a mountain (like the snow-covered ones on Nogova)?

I don't hear that blowing-sound very well on my speakers (Crative DT2500) but when I use headphones I hear it very well.

I didn't know that.......

I'm trying to find your wssCOD on the internet but get no match found, even when trying "wss cod" or "wss-cod". Is that the actual name of the software??

I'm trying to find another wss encoder instead but if I could get a very tiny simple one (knowing what I've got to do with it) I would be glad...

Cheers! smile.gif

To answer to Shadow...

I don't remember any difference if I'm on top of a mountain. But this noise is always VERY loud anyway. And I've always experienced it when playing ofp.

But something sure is that it seems to appear a bit randomly sometimes: in 1 situation (for ex. when I'm running in the middle of a field) I will hear it very loudly as usual. The day after, in the same situation, I won't hear it at all! Sometimes, it takes also some time in the game (maybe 10 min) b4 appearing but then it never goes away!

Also while I'm running, this noise is sometimes discontinued. Sometimes it will stop after a while and start again. Even when I walk.

To figure out how the noise is like it's very easy: imagine u r riding fast on your bike and that's exactly the same noise you get in your ears, it looks real!

Thanks a lot advocatexxx biggrin.gif, I'll tell u if it does change anything tonight...

I know I've been running along and I hit a dirt patch or field and hear this loud CRUNCH CRUNCH that always startles me. But I'm sure that's not what you're talking about...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (zxc @ Oct. 29 2002,12:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That's not silly, You r right to ask the question just in case!

No it's definitely not my character breathing. I can hear that too and it's a distinctive noise. I can easily hear both breathing and "blowing wind" at the same time.

Thanks anyway!<span id='postcolor'>

Alittle off-topic, but this reminds me of the early days of OFP... I was playing this scary 1985 campaign and ran alone in forests hunted by a whole Soviet army. And I heard that sound, could never figure it was my character's breathing, started imagine some big, aweful creature behind me. Was an extra kick wink.gif Sorry for off-topic

I belive I used to hae this problem too, cept it was a scrating noise like static... It would occour if I was facing a certain way, really wierd..

Edit: Actualy I just went on to the high mountain on Nogova and it is the same sound I had then, the wind. Unfortunatly I have no idea who I got rid of it, I just 'went' one day I think... Maybe OFP was ill tounge.gif

Damn, didn't get time to try Advocatexxx's trick with the noise.wss last night. I will definitely try it tonight and tell u if it's working or not b4 this topic gets locked  tounge.gif

The more it gets and the more it looks like I'm the only one to have this "blowing wind" pb.... *sick*

IT WOOOOOORKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

Advocatexxx you're the best man, the BEEEST!!!!!  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

As u said, I went to res folder (coz I'm playing resistance campaign, for cold war crisis go directly to DTA folder), then went to DTA, depbo sound.pbo, go to object folder, replace noise.wss by a blank noise, repbo the whole thing and no more bloody wind blowing in my ears!!!!!!!

Well spotted my friend, u've just solved a pb I've had for a year, since I bought the game! I'm gonna enjoy playing much much more now...

Thank u so much, u can be proud of making someone happy in this world!  biggrin.gif And thanks to everyone else who participated to this thread as well ! wink.gif