Sign in to follow this  
tortuosit

Less clouds: Bright - some more clouds: dark landscape

Hi guys, I wonder if there have been changes to the weather engine.

My problems:

- at an overcast level of 0.5 everything is bright. But already at 0.6, everything is as dark as in the wildest storm. See pics.

- the cloud coverage is often so sharp, full of contrast, - but not hazy, which you may want. Feels so extreme, don't know how to say.

2015-06-28_00002r9sob.jpg 2015-06-28_00003upsjd.jpg 2015-06-28_00005dts9q.jpg 2015-06-28_00004lws3i.jpg

Thoughts? I hope you know what I mean. I sometimes want something in between. Not super high storm clouds, but full cloud coverage, without everything becoming pitch black, but still bright.

Hmmm I don't get that dark at least in Altis even with full overcast. Maybe it's the map's lighting where that happens so it's map dependant?

The cloud system is very simple so you won't likely get the effect you want. Would need different clouds and cloud bases to achieve the best effects though then local rainshowers would be also likely needed. Currently it's pretty much just Cumulus in different sizes at the base of 1500m.

what map is that?

terrains can come with their own overcast/weather settings and by the way "the cloud coverage is often so sharp, full of contrast, - but not hazy" overcast and fog are two different variables in the weather setting.

I wish BIS would separate the wind and rain. If I have some cloud cover, there is automatically high winds. A little more cloud cover, and now its raining. What the heck? We can't have just calm and cloudy overcast? I think something changed with the weather in one of the last updates. I wonder if it has to do with the new Terrain/Expansion coming?

but not hazy" overcast and fog are two different variables in the weather setting.

I know, I chose the wrong term.

Screenshots is on (EDIT: VT5, not "FT5"), the Finnish Terrain. Well, maybe it's a map thing...

@Goblin: Rain control (full prevention) is not possible without scripting. With enough clouds, the ArmA engine will let it rain.

Edited by tortuosit

I wish BIS would separate the wind and rain. If I have some cloud cover, there is automatically high winds. A little more cloud cover, and now its raining. What the heck? We can't have just calm and cloudy overcast? I think something changed with the weather in one of the last updates. I wonder if it has to do with the new Terrain/Expansion coming?

You need to set the wind and rain to manual instead of auto. You can have a full overcast with zero wind and rain.

Even partly cloudy with a downpour works. Looks silly of course.

@Goblin: Rain control (full prevention) is not possible without scripting. With enough clouds, the ArmA engine will let it rain.
You can have a full overcast with zero wind and rain.

Hmmm.

Hmmm.

Sorry? Did I misundestand the issue somehow or are you saying that preventing rain is impossible without scripting? Is there a bug or something? :confused:

Sorry. I think I mis-posted. I thought I was having weather issues as well.

I was using a custom Terrain that was causing issues with manual setting

the clouds. Lighting is still good with overcast. You using weather mods?

In the editor you can manually set the amount of overcast, manually set the amount of ran and manually set the wind speed. This is light years ahead of Arma 2.

As for the original poster, another factor that causes a change in the light is the date and the time.

Try 2:00pm pm June 22 compared to 2:00pm on December 22.

Then try 4:00 am

@Greenfist, yes in my experience you can set whatever rain you want, ArmA will change it dynamically, depending on clouds etc.

Joe that's why I had a clock in the screenshots, its 3 pm; but OK I didn't think of the day of the year. I was not expecting to be January different than July...

@Greenfist, yes in my experience you can set whatever rain you want, ArmA will change it dynamically, depending on clouds etc.

Ok, maybe it's been fixed since then? Or it only happens in multiplayer or something.

I couldn't get the rain if I set it to manual zero, in both the start and forecast sections.

Ok, maybe it's been fixed since then? Or it only happens in multiplayer or something.

I couldn't get the rain if I set it to manual zero, in both the start and forecast sections.

Will definitely look at this again.