MoreAgm

For the Love of GOD please remove weapon selection from action menu (scroll wheel)

Now that we can bind quick weapon keybinds to number Keys and function keys

Please Bohemia we have suffered to long trying to open a door and or pistol or RPG comes out. If modders can do this, please remove weapons selection for the action menu. Please at least make it an option in the games menu. Or even better in the game options let us map, what we want on the action menu scroll wheel.

BI has mentioned that they are working on it and want to revamp the current system.

BI has mentioned that they are working on it and want to revamp the current system.

When and where?

Well, they kind of acknowledged the problem by fixing it in DayZ with their new inventory system which pretty much eliminates the need for an action menu. Just hoping we'll see this system in ArmA 4 some day.

When and where?

i'd like to know too. a link to the source would be great. this is one of the things that could improve the game a lot overall since you are constantly confronted with the scroll menu when playing.

So far I know it was in the developement branch thread, but I'm not going through all the pages to find it.

So far I know it was in the developement branch thread, but I'm not going through all the pages to find it.

I recall that, but it was mostly aimed at what they've already done. Removing hardcoding from ~ to 0 keys, F1 to F12 keys and adding the option to bind keys for switching to specific weapons, so you can bind 1 to your primary, 2 for your secondary and 3 to your pistol. Same goes for vehicles.

I don't remember there ever being any talk about removing them from the action menu, except for the blanket sentiment that they're not happy with the action menu itself in general.

I'd like a key or keys defined for 'open/close door'.

I'd like a key or keys defined for 'open/close door'.

And climb ladders. And many more!

Customization scroll wheel actions is the best option

Check video in thread

Who scrolls to open a door? When the door symbol appears press Space. Or am I missing something?

Edited by Old_Painless
bloody smartphone

Or instead of just different keys and what not, there can be one action key. It should allow opening of doors and climbing ladders without being a different key for each item. Add something like this with a combination of TKOH interactive icons, and it becomes a whole better experience.

That would take it from what we have now, which is frantically scrolling and accidentally switching to something you don't want, to being able to access a say a hunter while under fire to get inside in a shorter amount of size. The possibilities of a better interaction system are there, actually, the weapons selection is already on the 1 and 2. Though a ton of things still require the action menu. Honestly I loved the way Take On Helicopter Had it. All interactive things were easily accessible by looking at an icon and pressing a button. This way the scroll menu was not cluttered and had few options on it at all times. This would leave room for say, more misc things. Plus the interaction style menu boosts immersion.

The real question is WHY THE HECK ARE WEAPONS OF ANY SORT ON THE ACTION MENU WHEN WE HAVE A MILLION KEYS ON THE AVERAGE KEYBOARD

Who scrolls to open a spor? When the door symbol appears press Space. Or am I missing something?

You mean "use default action"? Think it's defaulted to 'Enter'?

Thing is, if you miss the mark, you're switching weapons or some damm thing --not too swift in a firefight.

Workaround i got is: 'Use default action' = 2xRMB, combined with, 'Close context menu' = RMB.

With this, if i miss the mark, the window closes, no action.

Anyone who's played urban fights knows getting jammed-up opening/closing doors under fire is a pita.

I'd rather mash a open/close door key under battle stress.

Edited by Ratszo

Or instead of just different keys and what not, there can be one action key.

That could work for most situations, since 99% of the time we probably won't be in proximity of two objects that could be interacted. The only case I could think of right now would be the second floor of the buildings located in The Factory (the factory for the patrol mission 'One Shot, One Kill' in Adapt campaign). It has two doors almost side-by-side near the external staircase. With the interaction detection we have right now, those two doors would almost always be listed together in the action menu. So for the single-action-key method to work, we need to tweak the interaction detection a bit.

Another thing that could be separated from the interaction menu is entering vehicles, I think. Ever since we had FFV, the action menu became a bit long if we are near certain vehicles. What we do is to have a separate enter vehicle key. How that key could and should work is OT and I'll leave it for another discussion. But I think with these implementations the action menu would definitely became less clustered, and its length won't be changing as much. That should reduce the instances of people blowing up the bomb whilst trying to open a door and what not... (Didn't happen on me... yet :D)

Well different keys could at least make things easier in a way so you can group some actions under space, some under enter and some other under mouse 3. That could be a workaround without removing the action menu first. No way to touch off bombs when opening a door if you group them under different key...

I would like to see a system, which allows players to choose what actions are in the action menu. For example I also do not need the change ammo type action, or the reload action, I simply do that in the inventory. Same thing with Engine On,Eject and Get Out. We have keys for that and I never use the action menu entries for these.

.... No way to touch off bombs when opening a door...

"John was killed"

"Chris was killed"

"Jimmy was killed"

..., Oops, my bad ....

The drill i practice with doors is, full sprint open/close door without stopping. Not as easy as it sounds.

ITT, more calling out for the stream lining of the ArmA experience... ;)

But being serious, I personally never had the issue. I guess I'm used to the context sensitive menu. What could really use a revamp, though, is the old command menu that's appealing only to fans of heavy micro management and the AI is 'deaf' to many commands anyway. Here some streamlining like voice coms or selectable icons wouldn't harm. That, or make a 'true' RTS-style interface for commanders. :p

ITT, more calling out for the stream lining of the ArmA experience... ;)

But being serious, I personally never had the issue. I guess I'm used to the context sensitive menu. What could really use a revamp, though, is the old command menu that's appealing only to fans of heavy micro management and the AI is 'deaf' to many commands anyway. Here some streamlining like voice coms or selectable icons wouldn't harm. That, or make a 'true' RTS-style interface for commanders. :p

Well, for the command menu I would also which it would be customiseable. I would really like to be able to remove some actions I never use (alot of formations, flankin left,right etc.) and to put frequently used commands on menu entry 1 for example.

Worst is ordering your explosives ai to detonate a bomb in a time sensitive manner ie convoy coming etc..

F2

Open door

Open door

Open door

Open door

Open door

Open door

More..

Open door

Open door

Open door

Open door

More..

Open door

Open Open door

Open Open door

Open Open door

Open door

Detonate

Convoys 2 miles past. Time to close a door.

You mean "use default action"? Think it's defaulted to 'Enter'?

Thing is, if you miss the mark, you're switching weapons or some damm thing --not too swift in a firefight.

Workaround i got is: 'Use default action' = 2xRMB, combined with, 'Close context menu' = RMB.

With this, if i miss the mark, the window closes, no action.

Anyone who's played urban fights knows getting jammed-up opening/closing doors under fire is a pita.

I'd rather mash a open/close door key under battle stress.

Good points - with bullets flying a dedicated key for doors could be useful

i think mods and other games should be used as an example. i get the argument that there are many actions to be performed. but that doesn't change the fact that the scroll menu is a bad "solution".

there are already two or more examples on the Stratis airport do illustrate why it's just broken. go up to the ladder of the control tower. turn to the door opposite side of it and you will see the ladder action. turn to the ladder and you will see the door action.

same in the building next to the tower. there are several doors close to eachother. they are a perfect example to show that it simply does not work by design. wrong method. it tries to be context sensitive but it fails.

-----------------------------------------------

i and others have made features in our mods that simply erase those problems using very simple (basically...if you ignore the hacks needed because of engine inaccessibility) common sense methods.

here's a great example: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=27077

-----------------------------------------------

someone said proximity would be a problem. proximity is a really bad criteria/method anyways. atleast if it's the only data used. most games and most interaction mods for arma use ray casts to catch the exact action you want to perform.

that easily solves the problem of doors/hatches and ladders and any other simple triggerable animations on static objects. these should all use the same context sensitive button same as in pretty much every other game.

------------------------------------------------

more complex things like specific vehicle seats should be procedurally arranged (in other words context sensitively filled with items) in a menu that comes up when you use a universial button (or another way) to engage vehicle interaction. i personally don't care if the icons are 3d as long if it works and is not clunkier because of it.

------------------------------------------------

bombs could be done via an actual triggering device that is used like a weapon. if you have more than one bomb it could have it's own HUD/GUI that highlights the bomb in question in the 3d world so you can trigger it by aiming at its icon. or it could give you a chronological list of the bombs in the order you placed them similar to how it's done in the scroll menu now. the key point though would be that it's a specific isolated menu for that purpose only same as the vehicle menu.

in general i think those isolated menus should be clickable arranged buttons. in arma there's always lists being used (scroll menu same as the AI command menu). and even worse you actually have to scroll all entries instead of selecting one of them directly. the latter could either be achieved via holding a button and clicking them or holding a button and navigating using the mouse much like the well known commo rose method.

-------------------------------------------------

these are just my thoughts but actually i think this is a common sense and "state of the art" approach that should be a no brainer. GUI is yet another thing that arma does differently. in a pretty bad way.