Sign in to follow this  
AntiPasta

Us-north korean war

Prythee ppl,

I was thinking about this: I heard North Korea has 1,1 million standing troops, which is a helluvalot more than for instance Iraq... now if the United States would declare war on NK, how will this war be fought? I'm sure the US will win in the end... but at what cost and how?

Drop off a few bags of rice around which those 1.1 million troops will quickly gather around, then just drop a nuke.

God damn, am I a strategist or what !?

The US could not declare war against NK in the forseeable future.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (advocatexxx @ Oct. 26 2002,03:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Drop off a few bags of rice around which those 1.1 million troops will quickly gather around, then just drop a nuke.

God damn, am I a strategist or what !?<span id='postcolor'>

LOL

What the North Koreans lack in high-tech, they more than make up for in numbers and determination. It would be a very bloody affair, and virtually impossible to justify to the American public.

I think the only reason we would go to war w/ N Korea would be if they invaded South Korea

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (edc @ Oct. 25 2002,23:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think the only reason we would go to war w/ N Korea would be if they invaded South Korea<span id='postcolor'>

I think you are dead right there.

And I doubt the N Koreans are dumb enough to escalate North/South tensions and enmity any further than they already are. After all, you migght manage to gain some ground..but in the end, the US would manage to push the DPROK back across the DMZ after a lot of blood and a lot of fighting.

Larry Bond actually wrote a decent book about a North Korean/US conflict called Red Phoenix

Remember the original Korean War?

When China attacked with a million man army, the US were thrown back with heavy casualties. These days, the public wouldn't accept losses like this....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Oct. 25 2002,23:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Larry Bond actually wrote a decent book about a North Korean/US conflict called Red Phoenix<span id='postcolor'>

I have that, pretty enjoyable read smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Badgerboy @ Oct. 25 2002,19:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Remember the original Korean War?

When China attacked with a million man army, the US were thrown back with heavy casualties. These days, the public wouldn't accept losses like this....<span id='postcolor'>

I highly doubt China would support them this time around.

That would be a pretty lopsided fight. Commie asians aren't the best fighters in the world. The only POSSIBLE way they could win is if there are too many koreans for the amount of bullets US has.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I highly doubt China would support them this time around<span id='postcolor'>

I was refering to N Korea's current standing army, and using the Chinese example as a comparison.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Commie asians aren't the best fighters in the world. The only POSSIBLE way they could win is if there are too many koreans for the amount of bullets US has.<span id='postcolor'>

What about Vietnam? I'm sure if you ask a US veteran, he'll tell you how much respect they had for the VC forces.

And we all know that won't happen. hehe

Anyway, I think we'd come out the winner in most any situation with most any country. Not because I'm some bull-headed American who thinks we have the best armed forces in the world (not to say that we dont, heh). It's just that we usually go in with a coalition, unless of course our national security is at stake.

So yes, I think we'd come out on top.

Things are different nowadays than in the 1950s. We have better planes, better tanks, better soldiers. They've stayed just about the same as far as I know.

Bush remains pretty silent to the north korean nuke program. They already have nukes they are not just working on them.

I wonder where the war on terrorism is ? Are there different ways to judge terror ? Why Irak and not North Korea ? I really wonder cause NK already have all together and Saddam still misses a lot for the program. Strange, eh ?

Bush sets up two ways now and if you judge by facts North Korea needs to be on first place of his list of "War against terrorism". The only reason why he does not is that he is not able to concentrate on two wars at the same time and he will risk heavy heavy losses within his own army. The asian people in general are damn toughies and with unknown weapon capacities and allies Bush would risk very much for nothing. The oil in iraq seems to be more interesting for him on long term. He just proves that now. It is not a war on terror. It is a war on influence and money.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">We have better planes, better tanks, better soldiers. They've stayed just about the same as far as I know.

<span id='postcolor'>

You are very wrong here my friend. They are actually investing a shitload of money into army. And they do have up to date weapon systems. Never underestimate Asian forces.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What about Vietnam? I'm sure if you ask a US veteran, he'll tell you how much respect they had for the VC forces.

<span id='postcolor'>

I don't respect Vietnamese. I've met alot in Russia and they aren't the nicest people in the world, in fact, the ones I saw were compelte assholes. They actually believed the commie crap the government fed to them, and they hated deeply americans, french, and chinese. Well, everyone in the soviet union hated chinese, but then again everyone loved americans.

There warfare style is shit. They never won a battle, and the ones that did actually get to shoot there guns (vietcong) just attacked civilians, and if they ahd the balls, they would attack americans. The only reason they won is the same reason why the chechen and afghan guerillas won against russia, except they are a little bit better seeing as they must farm to survive, while the muslim dzhiggits just kill. They are violent bandits.

Sorry if I seem I biased, I just have a strong opinion. If you get offended, I'm sorry.

Why Iraq not North Korea:

Iraq has absolutely <span style='color:red'>0</span> chance to come around on its own, where N Korea has a chance, albeit a small one. Also North Korea has no connections with terrorism that I know of whereas Iraq certainly has connections w/ terrorist groups, such as Al Queida

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (zverushka @ Oct. 25 2002,18:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't respect Vietnamese. I've met alot in Russia and they aren't the nicest people in the world, in fact, the ones I saw were compelte assholes. They actually believed the commie crap the government fed to them, and they hated deeply americans, french, and chinese. Well, everyone in the soviet union hated chinese, but then again everyone loved americans.<span id='postcolor'>

I'm sorry, but you can't disrespect people for believing the only information that they have access to. The North Koreans are indoctrinated from early childhood, and don't have access to uncensored information.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm sorry, but you can't disrespect people for believing the only information that they have access to. The North Koreans are indoctrinated from early childhood, and don't have access to uncensored information.

<span id='postcolor'>

Well, most of the north vietnamese I met were assholes,n ot just because they were brainwashed. There was one, very nice vietnamese guy, but he had to go back to his home.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Also North Korea has no connections with terrorism that I know of whereas Iraq certainly has connections w/ terrorist groups, such as Al Queida

<span id='postcolor'>

So why did Bush put NK into "The axis of evil" ?

If a war started between the USA and North Korea, I would forsee that the US would probably try and play it out the normal way. Park a few hundred planes in South Korea, send a carrier fleet or two over, bomb around the the clock and then send in a clean up force.

This might be disrupted if 1)North Korea invades the south while the Americans are in the 'bomb everything into the stone age' phase of the campaign 2)North Korea uses Nuclear Weapons 3)China for whatever reason decides to support North Korea.

Whatever happened, you could be sure that the North Koreans wouldn't just roll over and die. Many North Koreans have a great belief in the Communist Goverment even though there is massive poverty in North Korea. As proof, look at the stories of North Korean soldiers who accidently get swept down the river. After been retrieved in South Korea, they are more than happy to return to North Korea.

well, let's see.

China will certainly not get involved unless there is evidence that S invaded N first. But considering that South Korea have not much intent to start war, i say chance of that happening is somewhat near nil.

NK army is strong. most conscripts serve over 5 years, and their SF are known to be effective. However, we cannot disregard several factors:

Tech: SK and US basically have advantage over this and they will do. The percentage of NK's spending on their military is very high, yet total amount is somewhat same as SK, or even less. considering that more you spend on military, the less you can spend for private sector, it's not surprising that NK's economy will grow at the pace of snail.

that means they are in poverty for a long time. and that means they have weapons of great tech, but no oil to run it tounge.gif

training. apart from tech, training matters. and due to resource deficiency, it's been well known that NK reduces training compared to SK. so numbers would mean less. of course they can try the mass attack like Chinese do, but it only happens if another condition is met.

Belief/morale: NK has generally been acknowledged as fanatics and they will do anything for it. however, in recent years, what i hear from my SK friends is that most NK citizens KNOW that SK is a lot more advanced, and they know that SK doesn't want to fight unless NK provokes. so when they are sent out to war with they AKs they will most likely surrender than attack.

in conclusion, NK has no chance. SK and 37,000 US troops will have probably defeat attack faster than me closing threads.

other external fators:

China: china's fear is that if SK defeats NK, capitalism will be face-to-face with Chinese.(NK shares borders with China). And such rapid exposure would destabilize China's central gov't control, and that is worstcase scenario for China. so China would want to have buffer zone to protect capitalism's influence.

now, as we know, during World Cup games, there was a conflict between NK and SK navy, which resulted in 4 dead(?) from SK side, and several wounded, and both ships involved got sunk. but NK is estimated to loose nearly all of their crew, somewhere near 20.

so in this small conflict, SK clearly beat NK with its force. so I doubt if anymore US troops are needed to whoop NK's ass.

the reason that US doesn't show interest in NK is that too much will agitate China. currently, China is a significant factor in world politics and getting on their nerves will be a bit of bad move from US's part. of course, with same logic, China will not get on US's nerve by bullying SK.

so all folks who can't think of anything but oil, you need to broaden your horizon.

and one more thing about current NK nuke. They claimed that they have resources, not the nuke itself.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Col. Kurtz @ Oct. 26 2002,04:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As proof, look at the stories of North Korean soldiers who accidently get swept down the river. After been retrieved in South Korea, they are more than happy to return to North Korea.<span id='postcolor'>

that's because if he doesn't his family will suffer. but by doing so, he gets better treatment from NK gov't. smile.gif