NightIntruder

HMS "Victorious" late 50s [WIP]

Currently, I work on conversion of HMS "Victorious" in configuration from late fifties. Models by Philip Chandler, textures by Fraser Paterson. A permission for the conversion was kindly given by the authors from www.flyingstations.com several months ago. Now, it's time to work on it. I started at the very beginning of April and now it's almost done for A2OA.

I wouldn't make it without great amount of help from JDog&TeTeT who assisted me and shared both their knowledge and Nimitz MLOD for learning purposes. Also it wouldn't happen without help from UNSUNG DevTeam who shared their awesome F-4. I am indebted to you, guys for the help.

Now, the VIC is almost at the stage of her launching. I just have to go through small issues like how to attach ATC seat with PLAT camera in CATC room or how to finalize AI ability to land on the ship and so on.

Anyway, I am glad how she looks and the overall immersion taken while playing with the ship in-game.

119.png

cieniowanie.png

ArmA2OA%2B2015-04-29%2B12-24-30-73.jpg

Whole screenshots folder is here: https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/116815141279144227640/photos/116815141279144227640/albums/6129831556660537201

• Like 1

Looks great, nice pics. How much of the interior have you managed to get usable ?

Looks great, nice pics. How much of the interior have you managed to get usable ?

Chris,

I am sorry to say that but there is not much of the interior in the original model, I am afraid. I made CATC and the bridge enterable, and struggle with creating possible ATC seat (air radar, PLAT camera, lights) and captain seat (alerts, management of flight deck). Also both catwalks (galleries) and the island deck (outside) are walkable. The most sad thing is that there is no hangar at all, and the model wasn't made to help making elevators as well.

Chris,

I am sorry to say that but there is not much of the interior in the original model, I am afraid. I made CATC and the bridge enterable, and struggle with creating possible ATC seat (air radar, PLAT camera, lights) and captain seat (alerts, management of flight deck). Also both catwalks (galleries) and the island deck (outside) are walkable. The most sad thing is that there is no hangar at all, and the model wasn't made to help making elevators as well.

Not to worry. I'm still looking forward to it. Great, whichever way it comes. :)

Oh, I forgot to say that the MOD will consist of several smaller addons: Phantom FGR.2, Westland Whirlwind (with working winch by OFrP DevTeam) as well as Scimitar and AD4W Skyrider as static objects and probably driveable British tug :)

UhjZ4HM-Wg3JM6Em1spevXc7HIoC0gqStDykxKVUtQc=w551-h309-p-no

ArmA2OA%2B2015-04-29%2B12-28-18-28.jpg

X-69tnii5xRfk_QicXQ3xzAZLSnGHcPFHyb5jqwGW7g=w551-h309-p-no

9gFk0y4Km93hqCjs7aPzsbEXG-9iGbmqhvtb5ylj72o=w551-h309-p-no

fNEc51CaFjCZcLTR1oLcO1chPSQT69wpmCdsK9meRxM=w551-h309-p-no

V8JIes3axOKl3q-YZ5VVO5yvs0Kb0PhAhbE9lROwIWA=w551-h309-p-no

3CS0KRaIkJY0CCeI2ZTMUx5JvKg-JHTfx43LpqCBq8Y=w551-h309-p-no

ajUltZT4WVqPdRO6gjWJk88u7K9LiLCUZP-CGSj3OPw=w551-h309-p-no

Looks nice. Is A3 version planned?

Can't see how such a talent wastes time on, already dead, platform.

Looks nice. Is A3 version planned?

Can't see how such a talent wastes time on, already dead, platform.

Spadaj Gienek ze swoim "nie mogę patrzeć"! ;-) Jak tam Wam leci w ACC?

Perhaps, I will convert most of my projects into A3. It depends, however, on time spent on learning and amount of work put into improving them up to A3's standards. So, it's possible but no guarantees on that. It's not just simply re-configuration plus PhysX, I am afraid.

Anyway, thanks for kind words :)

• Like 1

already dead, platform.

You really think its a dead platform..:rolleyes:

You really think its a dead platform..:rolleyes:

Me? No, I don't otherwise I wouldn't make those addons for A2 first :) It won't be dead for a long time, I guess. For instance, I would move to A3 if I had better DTR or the game was better optimized in the same time having not such futuristic environment. This particular perspective may be shared by many that's why it won't be dead soon, I think.

Anyway, I created another thread connected to VIC a little bit, here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?191487-Script-for-pilots-crash-landed-on-water-help&p=2931755#post2931755

I will appreciate it if someone helps me in creation of better RN aviation :)

Me? No,

No it wasn't aimed at you @NightIntruder, but at @gienkov. He said he thought A2 was dead platform, well those were the words. I was just asking him if he thought it was really a dead platform/game. I am certainly not giving up A2CO just yet, still lots of life in the game yet. With great mod/addons coming along like this and all those that went before, well you can't just turn and walk away. ;)

Thanks guys for your kind words :)

@Amx225

Well, I think of it as I have already got permission for USS Oriskany from that era but this one would require extensive amount of work to make it the same as VIC in terms of quality...

@eggbeast

Hello my friend! Sure, I know the HMS Eagle and honestly speaking I'm gonna ask for permission to convert it as she would be historically better navy platform for Phantoms and Bucaneers. Oh, it seems they have HSM Ark Royal instead, but hey it's a ship of the same class, it's the matter of different number on island, who cares? :) It may depends on how much the VIC's original authors will like my conversion :) Blaahh, it would be another month or two before moving into A3... we'll see...

With great mod/addons coming along like this and all those that went before, well you can't just turn and walk away. ;)

Well said :)

Edited by NightIntruder

Me? No, I don't otherwise I wouldn't make those addons for A2 first :) It won't be dead for a long time, I guess. For instance, I would move to A3 if I had better DTR or the game was better optimized in the same time having not such futuristic environment.
Ehhhh... I'd dare say that Victorious would feel as out of place in 2009 as it would in 2035, but that's my perspective on the topic. :p That being said, I would like to point you to the BIKI page on modeling/configuring an Arma 3 boat or ship, which might help illuminate how much work might be needed to bring the Victorious over to Arma 3 natively, in particular taking advantage of the engine upgrades in Arma 3 instead of 'mere' config compatibility.

I don't thin Eagle could launch/land phantoms.

i remember my dad telling me about the night before they sailed out from the lough. they had the full ships complement of sailors in a massive dance-hall somewhere near belfast, and bussed in girls from all over northern ireland for the dance. imagine it... swing and big band music playing... guinness and champagne... and 2000 sailors with 2000 chicks to choose from... he did that gig right after coming back from the south atlantic/falklands/durban, and then i think they went north into the great icy wastes off iceland... i remember him telling me about hacking the doors open to the cable deck (where they keep the anchor chain aka cable) and it was frozen solid, like a fairy grotto, with 2-foot thick ice smoothly covering all the massive chain links. they had to attack it with fire axes to reduce the weight the ship was pulling.

EhhhhThat being said, I would like to point you to the BIKI page on modeling/configuring an Arma 3 boat or ship,

Thanks Chortles, I knew that wiki but I will look carefully into it, again.

I don't thin Eagle could launch/land phantoms.

Apparently, You're right. I thought that the same class had the same capabilities but it seems it hadn't. Only Ark Royal accommodated Phantoms and Eagle only Vixens. Oh well, lifelong learning.... :)

The story about your dad cruising through North Atlantic reminds me this one :)

iceberg.8.jpg

Edited by NightIntruder

Thanks Chortles, I knew that wiki but I will look carefully into it, again.

Apparently, You're right. I thought that the same class had the same capabilities but it seems it hadn't. Only Ark Royal accommodated Phantoms and Eagle only Vixens. Oh well, lifelong learning.... :)

The story about your dad cruising through North Atlantic reminds me this one :)

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/abramsv/R3ceSkKUfHI/AAAAAAAACJk/psKqEAdEfk8/s512/iceberg.8.jpg

Penguin Carrier :D

I got stuck due to bugs in the VIC model and I need help to go through with it. I'd like to release that one along with the upcoming patch for P85 MOD as it would fit in with it nicely.

1. Basically, there is small part of an AFT deck (app 10-15m), where players slide along the flight deck while sinking into it a little. I looked into a GEO LOD but everything looks OK to me, except that the part of the deck might be several meters longer than 60m GEO limit (the flight deck GEO body's divided into 3 pieces). A few types of aircraft exploded while landing on the VIC probable because of that bug.

2. I tried to create position for ATC or Captain, but for this carrier addon (static, based on "house" class due to working ladders) it seems to be problematic, so no luck so far. Those position were to create different views ie. for PLAT camera or Air Control Radar. Attaching proxy of an "empty vehicle" with the positions apparently doesn't work because of simulation engine that moves the proxy regardless static nature of the carrier.

Any idea? Is there somebody willing to help me with this ?

EDIT: I just realized that the part in question is 90m long! So no doubt, it must be the root of the GEO issue. Other parts are "only" 65m and 75m long and those looks OK from the Geo LOD side.

Edited by NightIntruder

OK, I fixed GEO issue by dividing the longest part into two ones, so no sliding/sinking players. Although, I found that some aircraft not explode on touchdown because they had not have components in their Geo LODs. I created those missing parts and now every aircraft explodes while landing on the aircraft carrier  :wacko:

It just drives me crazy! Any suggestions, ideas, help please?

BTW, I remember that once I had such issue with A-3B but it was connected to wrong mass distribution and messed CoG. Every Geo part of the carrier has weight of 15K.