Sign in to follow this  
infiltrator_2k

Should BIS Add An Automatic TK Kick/Local Ban Option?

Should BIS add TK kick/ban options in the configuration menu to automatically kick and/or locally ban players? It wouldn't be too difficult to detect whether or not a set number of consecutive team kills are detected. If a player say kills several team members on 'separate' occasions without an enemy kill it would be a no-brainer their intentions are malicious. Having the ability to have these idiots automatically kicked/banned by the game would be a welcomed feature by many IMO.

Should BIS add TK kick/ban options in the configuration menu to automatically kick and/or locally ban players? It wouldn't be too difficult to detect whether or not a set number of consecutive team kills are detected. If a player say kills several team members on 'separate' occasions without an enemy kill it would be a no-brainer their intentions are malicious. Having the ability to have these idiots automatically kicked/banned by the game would be a welcomed feature by many IMO.

No, because if someone fails a helicopter with 20 people in it, they'll automatically be banned for overkill.

No, because if someone fails a helicopter with 20 people in it, they'll automatically be banned for overkill.

I'm not talking about quantity, I'm talking about the number of consecutive TK's without an enemy kill.

Could this not have gone in this thread, this thread or this thread. All of which are related to TK'ing and all of which started by you? Not sure we need another thread on the subject.

Not really. Those threads are about what admins do to prevent TK, and I think a lot of the onus is on BIS to stamp out this type of behaviour as it's a big problem that's marring public multiplayer play. It's a problem that I think needs to be addressed at the root, that being at the game's current lack of kick/ban options. Also creating a new thread with a more relevant title it has more of a chance of capturing the dev's attention and may inspire them to introduce such a feature.

I've not had any serious issues with *************** (Moderaters, why is T K ers censored?) on my servers. It just so happens that I kick them on first offense, and ban afterwards. You wouldn't believe how effective it is. I'm not sure which lack of control you're speaking of. I can kick and ban just fine using BE Rcon access.

Edited by TheCapulet

I'm not talking about quantity, I'm talking about the number of consecutive TK's without an enemy kill.

And crashing a chopper with 20 guys in the back (to use DarkSideOfficial's example) wouldn't be 20 consecutive TK's without an enemy kill?

If a player say kills several team members on 'separate' occasions without an enemy kill
And crashing a chopper with 20 guys in the back (to use DarkSideOfficial's example) wouldn't be 20 consecutive TK's without an enemy kill?

That's why I highlighted "separate". For example: if you crashed a chopper full of team players 2-3 times killing scores of players there would be no kick/ban. But kill 4 players consecutively, but on separate occasions without an enemy kill then there would potentially be a kick/ban.

That's why I highlighted "separate". For example: if you crashed a chopper full of team players 2-3 times killing scores of players there would be no kick/ban. But kill 4 players consecutively, but on separate occasions without an enemy kill then there would potentially be a kick/ban.

Yeah, I missed the 'seperate' sentence, I must have been too far into 'face-palm' territory by that point. FPDR

No; that's going to be abused by clans.

Uh, how exactly?

Those threads are about what admins do to prevent TK, and I think a lot of the onus is on BIS to stamp out this type of behaviour as it's a big problem that's marring public multiplayer play.

When they are done with stopping people from being dicks on the Internet. .. they can take on world peace

When they are done with stopping people from being dicks on the Internet. .. they can take on world peace

Is an integrated kick/ban configurable option just too obvious and simple to implement? It doesn't take the brains of an archbishop to figure out that such a feature would drastically reduce team killing. There would be no scripts or admins having to police their servers, it would be an automatic system that acts given the admin's setting and what the parameters are for that particular setting.

BIS would be the ones who decide what's considered a tolerable level. Server admins could be given 3 options: off, moderate or strict. Players would be able to see from the server list what a server's kick/ban setting was on, just like the difficulty level. Therefore they too would be given the option on whether of not it's a server they'd like to play on with a clear understanding that TK may get themselves or other players kicked and/or banned. It's all about giving the consumer the ability to make a choice whilst also cracking down on abuse.

No; that's going to be abused by clans.

Which it already can.

Is an integrated kick/ban configurable option just too obvious and simple to implement? It doesn't take the brains of an archbishop to figure out that such a feature would drastically reduce team killing. There would be no scripts or admins having to police their servers, it would be an automatic system that acts given the admin's setting and what the parameters are for that particular setting.

Hi,

I don't know if you remember our conversation last time you bought this up, but nothing has changed.

That is to say: A hacker can kill players and assign the killer to anyone he chooses (even the admin if he wishes ho ho ho).

So how can you entrust anything to a script when the data fed to it is garbage?

The answer to your problems is being a good admin. BIS won't make anything like this because it puts them in the firing line if their "default new system" starts kicking/banning players unfairly.

Hi,

I don't know if you remember our conversation last time you bought this up, but nothing has changed.

That is to say: A hacker can kill players and assign the killer to anyone he chooses (even the admin if he wishes ho ho ho).

So how can you entrust anything to a script when the data fed to it is garbage?

The answer to your problems is being a good admin. BIS won't make anything like this because it puts them in the firing line if their "default new system" starts kicking/banning players unfairly.

Hi Das, so are these the hacks that are currently undetectable by BE? Or are these servers with BE and sig verification disabled that are having these problems? I ask this because such a feature could be tied to the condition of having BE and sig verification enabled. If however this type of hack is getting past BE then it begs the question whether BE is fit for purpose.

If a hack has been made public (like paid hacks and shared ones), then BE has a good chance of catching it. Bastian (the guy who codes BE) is normally active finding these sort of things to stay on top of them.

If a hacker writes his own private hack, it has a fair possibility of staying undetected (especially if he does not share specifics with other hackers on forums etc).

BE has a hard job to do as the open architecture that makes Arma so easily moddable, also leaves it vulnerable to hacking.

I don't want to post direct links up, but you can read up on it on the appropriate forums to find out how easy they can do this stuff.

If you want to find out more, then google "Changing bullet parents" or "Changing bullet parents Arma"

I don't think that's wrong of me to suggest that seeing as the guy who wrote it was thanked the other day in an Arma SPOTREP :rolleyes:

douggem.PNG

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=23256

BIS would be the ones who decide what's considered a tolerable level. Server admins could be given 3 options: off, moderate or strict. Players would be able to see from the server list what a server's kick/ban setting was on, just like the difficulty level. Therefore they too would be given the option on whether of not it's a server they'd like to play on with a clear understanding that TK may get themselves or other players kicked and/or banned. It's all about giving the consumer the ability to make a choice whilst also cracking down on abuse.

My point was really the futility of it all. I remember when xp service patch was coming out that was gonna make pirated copies of xp impossible to use and the crack for the service patch was on the net two days before the service patch. It becomes an endless cycle trying to stop them from exploiting the latest anti exploit.

As Das said, the best bet is through good server administration. ..

Given such an integrated kick/ban feature would be local and not global I think it's a negotiable trade-off and might even help catch the real hackers, as people who get kicked/banned unfairly are more likely to complain and get the ban revoked. The logs then provide good information and a little collaborative detective work could help identify the real perpetrators.

As for good server administration I concur, although half the battle is having admins online 24/7. I did however pick up some good advice from an old post from Ahoyworld's admins on how to catch the vermin. At the moment I'm using the Arma Ban List, although there still seems to be no shortage of people who are still wanting to add to it.