Sign in to follow this  
instagoat

T-14 Armata to be shown on 9th may parade

So, apparently the russian army has received a handful of examples for on-hand testing and training. Stern.de claims they will participate on the victory day parade on may 9th.

This is supposed to be the vehicle. Rough stats:

Two man crew (Or three?) according to russian sources. Concept CGI shows only two crew hatches. Combat compartment and Weapons are completely seperated from each other, with the crew located in an armoured shell inside the main hull. So you've got the main hull armor to penetrate, and then get into that armoured shell to get at the crew. Weapons are all inside the turret, with the CGI showing some ridiculous armament combinations, but what's likely is a 125mm gun (Automatically loaded, obviously) and attached coaxial, as well as an independent commanders sight. If the crew is two, this will likely be omitted because there is no independent commander, rather, the commander will probably have full control over all weapons and be fed with some sort of battlefield information system to enable him to still perform hunter killer shooting... I find that hard to believe, personally. How do they keep up the situational awareness, robotic main weapon control?

The thing looks super space age, anyways. Here's a CGI thing I found:

So, A: where will they get the money from to equip their army proper and B: is this thing for real?

The Armata T-14 has a 125 MM cannon. the version shown in the second clip also has an 30 MM AA gun and a 12.7x108 3 barrel minigun

That CGI has nothing to do with reality.

Real thing has 3 crew, sitting side by side.

http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/andrei_bt/18425682/368440/368440_original.jpg (135 kB)

And why such a huge barn for an unmanned, 125mm gun turret?

http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/andrei_bt/18425682/370850/370850_original.jpg (408 kB)

What I don't get is why it only has two hatches if it has three crew. At least, on the photographs it looks as if it only has two. Barn like turret probably houses automatic feed systems for coaxial gun and electronics. If the crew has no access to it, you can't service the MG without leaving the vehicle, so you want it to run on its own. The MGS did that in a much smaller package, though, so I don't understand either to be honest. All other tanks they built have such low turret profiles, and they have crew inside.

http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/andrei_bt/18425682/321750/321750_original.jpg

Old picture of a prototype? Armata also includes wheeled BTR type vehicles and tracked IFVs, which will probably also be shown. The blog Blu3sman linked also has pics of those.

http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/andrei_bt/18425682/366312/366312_600.png

Edited by InstaGoat

There are theories on mp.net that there might be some fake parts placed on the turret to distort its appearance until the parade.

Other theory says that since the crew as the most vulnerable part of the tank is in a separate armored compartment, there is no need to keep things small, and a hit in the turret would not mean a total kill for the tank and it might still be operational. Perhaps the different sensors are also in separate compartments in the turret to minimize damage to the tank when hit, that might explain the size of the turret.

Overall that tank looks a lot bigger than classic soviet/russian designs.

Still it seems to be in line with the current understanding how a tank should work, so no 152mm guns, no weird combinations of an mg and 30mm gun as in the CGI video, and sadly no railgun :(

http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/andrei_bt/18425682/321750/321750_original.jpg

Old picture of a prototype? Armata also includes wheeled BTR type vehicles and tracked IFVs, which will probably also be shown. The blog Blu3sman linked also has pics of those.

Yes, late 80's prototype of Abrams M1A3 :D called CATTB.

Those on pictures are new Kurganets (tracked) and Boomerang (wheeled) IFVs.

There are theories on mp.net that there might be some fake parts placed on the turret to distort its appearance until the parade.

Same was said about T-95, just look at it

http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/andrei_bt/18425682/363186/363186_original.jpg (140 kB)

when they will be shown properly and many photos will be made- there will be addon of it , screw politics, addons are addons, i will do it as only time will allow me to

without those shirts

and this Kuzhganec and wheeled APC

just need more photos after parade - without cloth

Fake pictures. There's no fuel drums on the back of the tank. :cool:

i need more photos from different angles to make addon of those vehicles

It can be an interesting vehicle, we'll have to see how it performs and in which amount is it finally build.

It is kind of ... ugly? All those sharp angles and weird geometric shapes....

So no fake parts after all, though the turret seems weird to me as well.

Maybe there is no need for a small turret since the crew is now elsewhere and a hit in a turret does not mean a total kill for the tank?

Since thats a new tank/weapon platform I guess it will need some time to iron all the issues out.

Like the looks of the Armata IFV and the APC.

Strangely, the title says "medium tank" instead of main battle tank.

Because it is neither light nor heavy tank. And the fact that it is main battle tank is mentioned further, in the description.

By he way, what is up with the increased use of St Georg ribbons? They were not painted on tanks before, were they?

Because it is neither light nor heavy tank. And the fact that it is main battle tank is mentioned further, in the description.

The matter is that the titles lightweight, medium, heavy tanks are not used from ~1960 years.

By he way, what is up with the increased use of St Georg ribbons?

It's the 70th Anniversary of Victory Day (or VE Day to the western Allied nations) this year