Drifter

Southern Wardak Province, Afghanistan (Release thread)

First of all, I would like to thank all the people in the community who helped and or tried to help with the errors I encountered on my way to this release.

Thanks to:

Smokedog and Milkman - For their JBAD Buildings

=1stRB= MAJ. Gunner - For assisting me with the config work

Greyhound32 - For helping me with the clutter and config work

CAPTNCAPS - For his YouTube video tutorials

1st Ranger Battalion - For support

BI community - for support

This map is based on the border of Wardak Province and Logar Province. I am naming the map Wardak Province, due to a majority of the map is on the Wardak Province (At least I would believe so). This map took me numerous hours and time out of my day to finished. All I can say is that the Config stuff is a piece of work :p

This map is not an exact recreation of the province, a majority of this terrain contains custom compounds and layouts made by me, I try as hard as I can to try and use real life pictures to use for referencing.

Features so far:

* Airfield with working ILS and working PAPI lights for final approach landings

* Extensive runway, easy for C17's and C130's to take off and land.

* About 98% buildings enterable, maybe 100%

* 2 FOB's FOB Raider (Airfield) and FOB Eagle (Mountain FOB)

* 2 paved roads mainly for transport to FOB Raider and FOB Eagle and to the edges of the map

* Multiple dirt roads and foot patrol paths

* Small villages and rural plantation fields

WIP / To do list:

* Align roads with bridges

* Touch up on a few foliage and rocks (As some are facing the same way)

* Touch up and add objects in a few compounds so it doesn't seem deserted

* Change a few of the clutter models to more desert like clutter

* Place COPs (Combat Outposts)

* Create town names on map

* Fix grid issues (You have to zoom in really close to see the 6 digit grids)

Required addons:

JBAD_Buildings -http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=26806

Early alpha release

Download link (RAR File) - http://www.mediafire.com/download/yugo6k8nh0gll08/Wardak.rar [Version 1.0 Alpha release]

Beta release

WIP

Final release

WIP

For updates on the terrain please check this LINK, as I will post all WIP updates there.

Please post any errors or problems within the terrain :D

1st Ranger Battalion Realism Unit

Col. Drifter

"Fight for the guys standing next to you."

Edited by Drifter
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the hardwork Drifter... will test tonight

Thanks for all the hardwork Drifter... will test tonight

No problem, and thank you for your support :D

Didnt even see you released! Ha nice job so far, keep up the good work

Didnt even see you released! Ha nice job so far, keep up the good work

Awesome Drifter great location, looking forward to checking it out.

so far so good still lot of work you have to do but what you did so far is really nice like the idea amd i like that you not using aia

Not sure if its a bug with JBAD or with the map itself, but I get an error pop-up when I load this map in the editor (or DevBranch):

I've copied it from my RPT to ensure the correct path etc.

14:43:08 Warning Message: Cannot load material file a3\roads_f\roads_ae\data\surf_roaddirt_path.rvmat .

Not the space after .rvmat and the "." - looks as though a space has been added after the filename and that is what it causing the error.

Really liking the detail you're putting into the map so far, this is going to be pretty amazing.

One thing that really seemed off though were all the vanilla/Greek style water points. I think they'd be much better just being water pumps.

Not sure if its a bug with JBAD or with the map itself, but I get an error pop-up when I load this map in the editor (or DevBranch):

I've copied it from my RPT to ensure the correct path etc.

14:43:08 Warning Message: Cannot load material file a3\roads_f\roads_ae\data\surf_roaddirt_path.rvmat .

Not the space after .rvmat and the "." - looks as though a space has been added after the filename and that is what it causing the error.

Yes, that will be fixed in the next update. It is nothing with jbad buildings.

---------- Post added at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------

Really liking the detail you're putting into the map so far, this is going to be pretty amazing.

One thing that really seemed off though were all the vanilla/Greek style water points. I think they'd be much better just being water pumps.

Thanks :D I couldn't find a water pump or well, but I will look around next time.

Yea, I couldn't find any other type of water pumps. I will look through the objects tonight and see if I can find a replacement.

Does this have some tunnel system or basement like the Kunduz?I'm downloading now and can't have a try.

Does this have some tunnel system or basement like the Kunduz?I'm downloading now and can't have a try.

Maybe in the future I will implement a cave system, but as of now only 1 house has a basement. But of course since this is in Alpha, I don't have much.

Showcasing only 3 of the 6 new areas recently added. The video does not show all of the new added towns and features, that you will have to explore your self :)

The video below shows 3 firefights in some of the new areas

Video:

New 1.1 alpha update coming soon, with fixes and new features :D

This looks great. Might replace my old favorite of Aliabad. Great work man.

Many thanks :D

I shall download as soon as possible :)

Also, it's nice to see stuff from a fellow Alaskan haha

The very first other Alaskan I have seen on here besides me. Glad to know I'm not alone :D

New version Alpha 1.1 will hopefully be planned for release soon.

New features:

* Added new roads and patrol paths

* Added new rural villages and a new town

* Added new military outpost

* Aligned roads with bridges

WIP Features:

* Finishing up the Northern portion of the map.

* Working on new large town due east of the map

New pictures and additions! :yay:

Updates / additions:

* New towns / compounds with trap doors in a few houses

* New small hidden compound entrance / cave (More to come)

* New foliage lines

* Decreased bushes and rocks in open fields

* Outlined dried river trench with rock walls

Update highlights (Pictures):

mlItTUT.jpg[/img]

37xB0DX.jpg[/img]

xNagi8v.png[/img]

U8XYres.png[/img]

f85TRXN.png[/img]

PMkDOcG.png[/img]

ZzmzI2w.png[/img]

Click here for more pictures

Hey Drifter, I can't get it to load into ARMA'a knew launcher is this just me or should I try to re-download again.

hi how is the map coming along ? lol never mind wrong map lol

This Wardak terrain, I will be redoing at a later time due to the low res sat map, and other projects are in the way.

Waziristan, the next update will be the full release. But I still have the ENTIRE eastern portion of the map to do, vegetation, towns, rocks, etc. So still got a lot of work to do. Also busy with an ArmA unit at the same time.

• Like 1

*DISAPPOINTING UPDATE*

All of my terrains are on hold. I can no longer work on these terrains due to these reasons:

1. Mikero's Tools (Free version) are broken with the new update and have not been updated. He has a paid version that is updated with the newest ArmA update, but I honestly am not willing to pay for them.

2. Bohemia's tools are frustrating, I can't stand them. I am encountering an issue where I can pack the terrain for in-game use, BUT... when I go in game and go to the editor to prepare screenshots and testing. The terrain is no where to be seen on the list of maps to be loaded. I'm sure I am not doing something right. I watched tutorials on how to use Addon Builder for terrains and still nothing. No good results from the new update. I can't produce maps if I can't get my projects packed.

Well, I will see you guys hopefully soon, either when a new free version comes out of Mikero's Tools "PBOProject" or someone helps me with the BI Tools issue.