Sign in to follow this  
infiltrator_2k

Consider The Consequences Before Being A Dick On A Server

It seems many Arma 3 players believe they can jump in and out of servers ruining other people's gameplay by being dicks maliciously teamkilling, blowing everything up and using stealthy game hacks with impunity by ignorantly believing the worst that can happen is they'll get banned from a single server. WRONG! With teamkilling, game hacks and general dicking around now seemingly more prevalent than ever, the people who so kindly spend their spend time and resources in providing a 'free' service such as a game server for other people's enjoyment are getting pretty p*ssed off of this unnecessary childish behaviour. So much so that the administration community have now come together to share their ban lists.

As a result I'm coming across more and more threads on various Arma 3 related forums - sometimes paragraphs long - written by people trying to explain their behaviour and wanting to get their GUID's removed from a banlist they believed at the time was only local to only the server they dicked around on.

The moral is: if you're one of the many thousands of dicks on Arma 3 who get off on ruining other people's gameplay be prepared to suffer the consequences of earning yourself a ban on literally hundreds of servers.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Good to hear.

This should mean the dicks will die out eventually

Edited by EDcase

Private passworded servers are the easy option for groups / clans who play together regularly and 'recruit' new players but public servers are needed to introduce new players to online gameplay so they can get a taste of what's possible.

If they have a good experience and get help from other players they will be more likely to join a clan and play regularly.

Edited by EDcase

Private passworded servers are the easy option for groups / clans who play together regularly and 'recruit' new players but public servers are needed to introduce new players to online gameplay so they can get a taste of what's possible.

If they have a good experience and get help from other players they will be more likely to join a clan and play regularly.

Gonna have to disagree with that.

While this is most likely the most common way it happens, it would be far better for someone to immediately join a closed group and get a much better and deeper understanding of the game in a controlled environment where you don't have idiots and trolls running about ruining most of it. I mean just reading the OPs post makes it quite evident that that's in no way a suitable place for someone to "get a taste of what's possible".

I'm glad i left the pleb scrub troll public scene midway the beta that is Arma multiplayer, for a much more enjoyable experience that is passworded servers.

3 words. Coop with Password.

But how do we get all the 'dicks' into that one server?

The unwashed masses of public players flock to un-moded, well scripted and actively admin'ed servers.

I play koth & eutw servers [1st person only] with rarely, if ever, a problem. --and if there is a problem, like a racist mouthing-off, teamspeak will have me talkin' to an admin promptly.

Also, players can screen-shot, capture video and report infractions to the websites run by these groups.

I get the feeling the OP needs to cover the basics of a well run public server: Administrators, Teamspeak, Website, and child-proof Scripting.

Moreover, these "dicks" the OP is on about are not reading this forum.

In closing, i'll avoid your server..., wouldn't want to be unfairly banned.

The best with Arma is that we do not need real players to have a nice time.

Bots are good friends and always have a good time with it.

using stealthy game hacks with impunity

Isn't this kind of behaviour the worst there is? there's probably cheaters in every online game running because hacking in arma is easy. you might just live in a dream the game was fair while people uses who knows what hacks to gain unfair advantage. the people who blow things up and TK are much lesser problem IMO.

Isn't this kind of behaviour the worst there is? there's probably cheaters in every online game running because hacking in arma is easy. you might just live in a dream the game was fair while people uses who knows what hacks to gain unfair advantage. the people who blow things up and TK are much lesser problem IMO.

People who purposely blow assets up and maliciously TK are up there with people who use game hacks; they all sabotage other people's gameplay and kill any kind of enjoyment by those wanting to play the game how it's suppose to be played and complete mission objectives.

If server admins don't reinforce strict rules things quickly turn into anarchy and before you know it all the 'real' players disconnect and the idiots quickly get bored with killing each other and leave a good server deserted. People need authority and discipline.... it's the way of the world. Without it society itself would breakdown. Now, if people want to play on other people's servers they WILL respect the server's rules, the admins and other players or they'll likely receive a temporary or permanent ban that could potentially see someone banned from hundreds of servers. That's the barebones or it all.

Like I said, admins are getting pretty p*ssed off with all the immature mentality of a lot of players and aren't willing to put up with people's idiotic behaviour and their nonsense anymore. If someone doesn't like how a server is being administrated or how a mission is being played, or for whatever reason, they should leave the server and move to a server that they feel more suits their needs oppose to airing their frustration by being a dick and f*cking up other people's enjoyment.

game trolling is as old as gaming, and won't go away until the server owners know the physical address and full name of the game trolls, which might be the case in the next 10 years but probably not in the next 5. As long as there is anonymity, it will continue :)

Its simple its like name --> perm ban on guid and ip aaaand done.

Its simple its like name --> perm ban on guid and ip aaaand done.

Yep, it really is that simple. If people think they can just grab another copy of Arma 3 as a workaround to their ban they would have wasted their time and money. Unfortunately there are people who will just keep dicking around regardless of the consequences. They'll the ones who'll get banned and just migrate other public servers who's admins don't police or maintain their ban lists.

@Infiltrator_2K

I wasn't saying they shouldn't be punished, just that who knows how many cheaters there are. especially in non protected servers.

Personally i haven't seen any hacking/griefing on Arma yet but i am new enough to the series, On games like H1Z1 and 7 days to die hackers/griefers can make the game unplayable during certain updates where they absolutely run riot. A solution for personal server owners i have talked too is to ban any IP's from a number of asian/russian countries, one guy in-particular banned any names with Chinese type characters in their steam names, this may seem extreme and a tad racist but he said it cut the hacking down by 95%.

Gonna have to disagree with that.

While this is most likely the most common way it happens, it would be far better for someone to immediately join a closed group and get a much better and deeper understanding of the game in a controlled environment where you don't have idiots and trolls running about ruining most of it. I mean just reading the OPs post makes it quite evident that that's in no way a suitable place for someone to "get a taste of what's possible".

I'm glad i left the pleb scrub troll public scene midway the beta that is Arma multiplayer, for a much more enjoyable experience that is passworded servers.

Before my unit set up an anti-hack system on their servers we'd be getting hacks every other day during our public operations. Now we get hacked every once in a few weeks.

Personally i haven't seen any hacking/griefing on Arma yet but i am new enough to the series, On games like H1Z1 and 7 days to die hackers/griefers can make the game unplayable during certain updates where they absolutely run riot. A solution for personal server owners i have talked too is to ban any IP's from a number of asian/russian countries, one guy in-particular banned any names with Chinese type characters in their steam names, this may seem extreme and a tad racist but he said it cut the hacking down by 95%.

+1

Those of you who can understand Chinese should find the Chinese H1Z1 videos on Youtube. Seriously these people are as racist and bigoted as people can get. Obviously they aren't representative of all Chinese people, but it seems there's a certain type of people who gravitate towards these kind of games.

Edited by mbamg

Well, the other day, or last week to be exact, US-1 KOTH. We were winning, of course, and those on Independent were complaining about stackers on our team. Of course I already plan on bringing up a new thought on Sa-Matra's Forums... But not too long after 50 points in the AO, a squad mate died to an AAF guy. As he watches him, he picks up an RPG off of him and proceeds to fire in full auto. Now, as i am very open, and assume that he was BS'ing, as this particular team mate tends to over exaggerate things, i thought he was kidding. But i started listening to my surroundings more than him talking. Low and behold, i heard RPG-42 fire in quick successions. Still, i was skeptical, until he walked up my tower. There he was, AAF uniform, RPG-42 in hand, i shot him in the face 12 times with my TRG before he fired a rocket into the ceiling killing me and him... or so i thought. As i thought what ever, he's dead now, i see him walk over my body, RPG-42 in hand, firing inside the tower in full auto, killing all the team-mates i was protecting. There was no denying he wasn't legit at this point. I hadn't seen hackers in a long time. This, is the first since like... the end of Beta.

@Infiltrator_2K

I wasn't saying they shouldn't be punished, just that who knows how many cheaters there are. especially in non protected servers.

I have almost 18,000 unique GUIDs which have been banned for script injections ... So, there are enough :)

Same thing happend in ArmA1 an ArmA2 I believe. I just immiadiatly banned all the idiots seems like A3 has more idiots now than ever in the series. Sure some accidents happends but 9 times out of 10 it's blatant tking. I dont host anymore nor will I ever host another server it's just not worth the $/headache. ArmA3 popularity(along with DayZ) has just brought 100 fold more idiots to the game.

Having just this week started trying to figure ARMA3 out all the above is disheartening, but sadly not surprising. I just get to interact with a 'Super Administrator' at another probably well known forum whose behavior truly qualified for the Dick Award - he seems to enjoy being a 'dick' to new players.

However, I'm looking forward to some good interactions here :)

Same thing happend in ArmA1 an ArmA2 I believe. I just immiadiatly banned all the idiots seems like A3 has more idiots now than ever in the series. Sure some accidents happends but 9 times out of 10 it's blatant tking. I dont host anymore nor will I ever host another server it's just not worth the $/headache. ArmA3 popularity(along with DayZ) has just brought 100 fold more idiots to the game.

A sad, but accurate outlook. These forums are further evidence of that. Being a player of this series since day one, and a long-time member of these forums I've seen both the game series and these forums change and evolve. I've seen moderators as well as addon-makers come and go, all the while seeing the slow but steady increase in what has been described as "idiots". They're the main reason I no-longer play on public servers, instead resorting to playing with a few select people in smaller, controlled missions that still give the same level of enjoyment I used to get from larger-scale CTIs (and later Warfare) missions on earlier games in the series. Only now without the worry of having to deal with such "idiots" who's only apparent enjoyment of the game comes from TK'ing other players, or cheating to get the win.

Edited by Jackal326

A sad, but accurate outlook. These forums are further evidence of that. Being a player of this series since day one, and a long-time member of these forums I've seen both the game series and these forums change and evolve. I've seen moderators as well as addon-makers come and go, all the while seeing the slow but steady increase in what has been described as "idiots". They're the main reason I no-longer play on public servers, instead resorting to playing with a few select people in smaller, controlled missions that still give the same level of enjoyment I used to get from larger-scale CTIs (and later Warfare) missions on earlier games in the series. Only now without the worry of having to deal with such "idiots" who's only apparent enjoyment of the game comes from TK'ing other players, or cheating to get the win.

Yesterday I tried an experiment by starting fresh with no ban list, but instead ran the Tactical Force Radio add-on to see if it made a difference. Unfortunately the first player to connect) TK me as soon as he had the opportunity. More disturbing, 'Daniel' revived me only so TK me again before I even had the opportunity to get back on my feet. These are the 'idiots' who will render public servers unplayable.

Admins feel free to add the mentioned idiot to your ban lists.

Edited by R0adki11
gui removed

The Arma3 community I play with is very small and is getting smaller.

We normally play on a server which runs in-house addons not available via normal public methods.

Every now and again we think about running a public server along side our modded one.

To try and increase our numbers.

Alas though, from past experience none of our admins can be arsed to deal with the Troll fest that is Public Arma3.

We lasted all of 10-15mins once when we opened a server to the public.

Example :-

We use a Registered list of people who are allowed to fly the choppers in our missions and do other various important jobs in the mission.

The mission will kick you out of the chopper if you're A. not a pilot or B. not on the Register.

The base area has a No Shooting at base script running which remove the bullet, nade, explosive etc when used at base.

-==LoLIamL33T==-- joins the game

runs to the nearest chopper.

Gets in

Gets ejected

Gets in

Gets ejected

Gets in

Gets ejected

Gets in

Gets ejected

-==LoLIamL33T==-- Rejoins as a pilot

runs to the nearest chopper.

Gets in

Gets ejected

Gets in

Gets ejected

Gets in

Gets ejected

Gets in

Gets ejected

Gets out goes to ammo crate gets a gun and ammo

Runs back too chopper and stands there shooting chopper with blanks.

As admin at the time I am talking to him via chat trying to explain :)

He eventually realises this and runs over to me and shoots me with blanks.

All this time more of the general public are joining the server doing the same thing or worse.

One dude is taking Quadbikes and trying to blow up other vehicles with them because he can't shoot the base vehicles.

Another is placing endless explosives that keep being removed when placed.

One dude found the Service trucks on the runway and is ramming them into each other to explode them.

TeamSpeak is going nuts with regular players complaining about people driving right into the AO while they are setting up the FOB etc etc etc.

One guys is asking serious questions that make sense but is lost in all the "WTF no 3rd... this server sucks... do you have Altis Life ?" messages.

I am now a gibbering mess on the verge of exploding.

So the server gets closed and we play our normal modded server for another year.

So for me and my continued sanity (or lack of) YES a shared Global ban system is needed.

@Infiltrator_2K

The GUI has been removed from your post, please rule 24 regarding posting GUI/ID etc.

§24) Do not post personal or identifying information

You are not allowed to post any personal or identifying information such as postal addresses, IPs or UIDs in the forum. Any breach of this rule may result in the poster no longer being able to make new posts or being banned from the forums. If you feel that because of security/piracy reasons you need to expose the identity of someone or make certain information known please Private Message this to a moderator with your reasons for doing so.

Failure to comply and there will be the appropriate punishments.

Edited by R0adki11