Sign in to follow this  
rye1

Breaching - IDEAS AND FEEDBACK?!

Hey all.

We're looking at enhancing the breaching capabilities within ArmA for a mod called CQB-M . Currently we have no scripters or coders on our team but we are brainstorming on how-to really make this work efficiently... We have consulted some scripters around the community and thought a post on here might branch out our options and gain some feedback before we put it into play.

Here are our ideas:

• Locked Doors

A script which locks doors within a given area around the player. We believe that having it within a given player area instead of across the whole map will mean less lag, less continuous or intensive scripting going on. Hopefully this means it is capable of running smoothly in big missions like ALiVE and accessible in all missions involving doors.

• Check or use door

You go up to a door and use an interaction key which will either open the door or "check" it confirming to the player the door is locked. From this point you can then use any of the methods of entry to gain access. In the future we hope that this depends on the type of door or object you are breaching into but we're unsure yet (small steps...).

• Charge placement

You place the charge onto the door of which you can interact with and utilize appropriately. We hope to make an interaction menu for this in the future.

• The breach

The main direction of the charge is into the door (for now). Claymore explosions are probably our best bet. We cannot really, that we know of at least, do anything with explosions or blastwaves which limits what we want in the mod.

• Modules

We're looking at modules to activate certain scripts in the future. We're unsure yet of what scripts or groupings of scripts.

What are your thoughts? Are we on the right track? Where do we start in scripting implementation?

Thanks, Rye.

MCC did this pretty well. Have you looked at shay's implementation?

MCC did this pretty well. Have you looked at shay's implementation?

No, I haven't and I will now. Thank you. :)

I'm a great coder :P

btw, if you made an animation for breaching, try this (its a sketch so it may not work, but it should) :) :

//init.sqf

_player1 = this select 0;
_door1 = this select 2;
_door1 addAction ["Breach","force_open.sqf"];
//force_open.sqf
removeAction _action;
_player1 switchMove "Animation";
sleep 0; //replace 0 with animation length part where he kicks door
playSound3D "yourSoundNameForBreakingDoor";
_door1 setDamage 10;
_player1 switchMove "";

Kind Regards,

Rawner135 / Ranwer

I'm a great coder :P

btw, if you made an animation for breaching, try this (its a sketch so it may not work, but it should) :)

Thank you good sir, we will test this when we implement an animation!

Rye,

Your project will likely go smoother/faster if you have a scripter on your team. Recruit one. You'd be able to do rapid experiments and try new ideas. My 2 cents. Good luck with the mod.

Rye,

Your project will likely go smoother/faster if you have a scripter on your team. Recruit one. You'd be able to do rapid experiments and try new ideas. My 2 cents. Good luck with the mod.

We're trying! We currently have Zorilya seeing what he can do with his limited time, and a few others, like Goon, advising us in which direct we can pull it scripting-wise. We're still open to applications as per our original post here. :)

Got your PM, will just respond here if its okay....

Hey mate,

I'm in a team making a CQB mod including explosive breaching. I was wondering since you dealt with the explosives side of ARMA what you opinions were? We were looking into it and there is no real explosive formations we can change or blastwave dynamics so half of our ideas are out the equation. What can we do scripting wise do you think?

Rye.

Hey brother,

Wish I could help. Not sure though. So sorry. My EOD system (currently broken), just spawns in a C4 if you touch the wrong thing then exlpodes. No clue on how to do CQB/Breaching stuff.

Sounds cool if you could pull it off though. Off the top of my head... I have a walkthrough somewhere on these forums on locking/unlocking doors on the Military Offices. You could just blow the explosive which then unlocks that door. I know it's not much help. You'll have to do a search for my Von Quest Security System (or similar). I just bought a house so my PC room is not put together yet. Won't have access to my toys for a few weeks.

Also, since you have modelers, you could also build a few buildings that can have the door removed if there is a successful breach. Boom. Then there is a bent door on the ground.

Custom buildings/room would be cool to add to your project. Wish I could help more, but I can't write code on my phone. If you are still stuck this summer, send me another PM.

Sounds cool if you could pull it off though. Off the top of my head... I have a walkthrough somewhere on these forums on locking/unlocking doors on the Military Offices. You could just blow the explosive which then unlocks that door. I know it's not much help. You'll have to do a search for my Von Quest Security System (or similar). I just bought a house so my PC room is not put together yet. Won't have access to my toys for a few weeks.

Also, since you have modelers, you could also build a few buildings that can have the door removed if there is a successful breach. Boom. Then there is a bent door on the ground. Custom buildings/room would be cool to add to your project. Wish I could help more, but I can't write code on my phone. If you are still stuck this summer, send me another PM.

Thanks Goblin. Will check it out. :icon_mrgreen:

Hi Rye,

I've been working on a breaching system for my next project.

It features locked doors. Keys/cards to get through them. Breaching charges to blast open doors and an interaction system to place them dynamically on ANY surface correctly in game.

It's WIP at the moment but I can share it with ALIVE or CQBM when it's done.

Explosions need to be shaped (at the moment I think they're omni-directional) so I'll do some work on that, plus also the SFX and VFX are crappy at the moment. Need to add some appropriate reverb and change the effects (plus also add a placing effect).

I've been planning a visual flashbang effect like in Rainbow 6 (before it went shit) but haven't had time to pursue that yet.

Doors that fly off the hinges are totally possible, if the model-maker allows for it, but not possible with default houses unless we have access to the source.

Eye candy for you:

Also I might put in a mini-game for hacking doors (like in Alien Swarm or something, but again, it's something for later).

Hi Rye,

I've been working on a breaching system for my next project.

It features locked doors. Keys/cards to get through them. Breaching charges to blast open doors and an interaction system to place them dynamically on ANY surface correctly in game.

It's WIP at the moment but I can share it with ALIVE or CQBM when it's done.

Explosions need to be shaped (at the moment I think they're omni-directional) so I'll do some work on that, plus also the SFX and VFX are crappy at the moment. Need to add some appropriate reverb and change the effects (plus also add a placing effect).

I've been planning a visual flashbang effect like in Rainbow 6 (before it went shit) but haven't had time to pursue that yet.

Doors that fly off the hinges are totally possible, if the model-maker allows for it, but not possible with default houses unless we have access to the source.

Eye candy for you:

Also I might put in a mini-game for hacking doors (like in Alien Swarm or something, but again, it's something for later).

Wow... amazing work DA

Hi Rye, I've been working on a breaching system for my next project. It features locked doors. Keys/cards to get through them. Breaching charges to blast open doors and an interaction system to place them dynamically on ANY surface correctly in game. It's WIP at the moment but I can share it with ALIVE or CQBM when it's done.

Explosions need to be shaped (at the moment I think they're omni-directional) so I'll do some work on that, plus also the SFX and VFX are crappy at the moment. Need to add some appropriate reverb and change the effects (plus also add a placing effect). I've been planning a visual flashbang effect like in Rainbow 6 (before it went shit) but haven't had time to pursue that yet. Doors that fly off the hinges are totally possible, if the model-maker allows for it, but not possible with default houses unless we have access to the source.

Das, that would be seriously fantastic! It looks great at the moment. From our side we currently have a UI-interaction system in progress and good sounds coming through for all kinds of things if you ever need something from us. We have no real plans for VFX and should really look into it in the near-future. I'll see what our modelers think in terms of your last point but that would be a hell of a workload!

That's brilliant work, DA :pc:

BTW there already is a flashbang addon by super-truite - dunno if it's still working, but the author is still active. Maybe he would be interested in helping out or sharing his code.

I dont mind helping the project :D

I just won't be doing full-time since I have IPT study and have an opening career into DICE (yes I know, DICE are the ones who made Battlefield 3 and 4)

Here is a little updated script on the breaching script:

init.sqf

_player1 addAction ["Breach Door", "breach.sqf"];

breach.sqf

_player1 = _this select 0;
_target1 = cursorTarget;

_player1 switchMove "PlaceBombAnimation"; //Animates player as he places bomb
sleep 5; //Change 5 to length of your animation
_player1 switchMove ""; //DO NOT CHANGE! Sets anim to default so player can move around

_target1 attachObject SatchelCharge_Remote_Ammo; //attaches bomb to door
playSound "UnitSaysBombIsArmed"; //guy says its armed
sleep 3; //all sleep commands below helps the script go according to plan
hint "3";
playSound "YourBeepingSound";
sleep 1;
hint "2";
sleep 1;
hint "1";
sleep 1;
playSound "YourArmedBeepingSound";
sleep 2; //wait time of armed beeping sound before explosion

_target1 attachObject Grenade;
_target1 action ["TOUCHOFF", Grenade _target1];
_ animateDoor ["doors1", 1, false];

If you have any Questions etc. Do not hesitate to PM me :)

Kind Regards,

Rawner135 / Ranwer

Hey Das I think that would make an excellent code snippet, just saying ;)

(I WANT THAT CODE)

I dont mind helping the project :D

If you have any Questions etc. Do not hesitate to PM me :)

You are awesome. :D