Sign in to follow this  
EvilKittyCat

Arma 3 sound bug

So I just bought Arma 3, really excited and hyped. I joined Bootcamp, and when I entered the first vehicle in the game, a really high pitch toned noise comes out of the headset, and it hurts like hell. After driving around in circles, I could hear something that sounded like radio fuckup. I have googled this issue, and it seems like a problem that has been encountered by quite a few other people. I read a few forums on steam, but I found nothing that helped me. I am using a Turtle Beach headset. I tried to use my default speaker, and I couldn't hear any radio fuckup or high pitched tone at all, everything was normal. I prefer to use my turtle beach headset, and not my default speaker. Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

Perhaps adjust the 'Sound Samples' (I think that is the option's name) in the Audio Options screen from the main menu, it may not help but is worth a try. Failing that, maybe try updating the drivers for the headset.

Have you tried plugging it in to different USB ports (I'm assuming your tower probably has a hub of 4/6/8 at the back depending on the tower/motherboard setup, but does it have any at the front, possibly near the top that you could try?).

Also, try going to 'Control Panel' > 'Sound' and see if you can see your headset listed there (I would think it would be listed under your sound card perhaps, unless its fully USB with no audio jack what so ever). The Turtle Beach X12 I use simply comes under 'Speaker' with my sound card listing. If/when you find it, right click on it and select properties. I've posted my settings below, just in case yours are wildly different:

Link to my sound settings

Reading the link you posted, it reminded me of an issue I had with an older headset, however the noise generated was very feint and only I could hear it (it wasn't transmitted through my microphone). I never did find the cause, nor "fix" it fully, it simply went away when I got a different headset (up until that point I simply turned my volume down on the in-line volume adjuster on the headset, and then simply turned al ingame and application volumes up to compensate).

Have you tried plugging it in to different USB ports (I'm assuming your tower probably has a hub of 4/6/8 at the back depending on the tower/motherboard setup, but does it have any at the front, possibly near the top that you could try?).

Also, try going to 'Control Panel' > 'Sound' and see if you can see your headset listed there (I would think it would be listed under your sound card perhaps, unless its fully USB with no audio jack what so ever). The Turtle Beach X12 I use simply comes under 'Speaker' with my sound card listing. If/when you find it, right click on it and select properties. I've posted my settings below, just in case yours are wildly different:

Link to my sound settings

Reading the link you posted, it reminded me of an issue I had with an older headset, however the noise generated was very feint and only I could hear it (it wasn't transmitted through my microphone). I never did find the cause, nor "fix" it fully, it simply went away when I got a different headset (up until that point I simply turned my volume down on the in-line volume adjuster on the headset, and then simply turned al ingame and application volumes up to compensate).

Yes, I have in fact tried to plug it in to different USB ports, but to no avail. I could only hear the high pitched tone in the boot camp when getting into a vehicle in the boot camp. Now, whenever I enter a vehicle in for example multiplayer, the sound just goes away completely, and I have to either press ESC, or tap out of the game, and re enter it. And it's not only when I enter a vehicle, it's when I stand near it as well.

I have tried to play around with the audio settings a little bit, but I haven't really accomplished anything with it. I'll post a few pictures of my settings just like you did. Maybe I have to change some settings or something, I'm not really a pro when it comes to audio and sounds...

http://imgur.com/yUxfYD6,41ErQGy,Zn4BKta

Thanks for your reply! :)

The 'Enhancements' and 'Advanced' tabs would be of most importance I think, however the 'Levels' tab may also provide information regarding volume and sound balance, so if you can post shots of those 3 tabs as well, that'd be great.

Out of curiosity are you using any sound replacement mods such as JSRS or similar?

The 'Enhancements' and 'Advanced' tabs would be of most importance I think, however the 'Levels' tab may also provide information regarding volume and sound balance, so if you can post shots of those 3 tabs as well, that'd be great.

Out of curiosity are you using any sound replacement mods such as JSRS or similar?

No, I am not using any kind of mod for Arma 3. I have only installed ACRE for Arma 2.

http://imgur.com/aC25L0M,dAXyFAl,T6oarhg#0

http://imgur.com/aC25L0M,dAXyFAl,T6oarhg#1

http://imgur.com/aC25L0M,dAXyFAl,T6oarhg#2

Thanks for replying!

Acre for ArmA2? I hope thats a typoe or this is the wrong forum section :P I seem to remember ACRE/TS in the ArmA2 days having issue with USB headsets but I could be wrong. Also, have you tried comms without using ACRE and just using the headset with TS both in and out of game. Its possible there is an issue with your TS/ACRE plugin installation that is causing further sound issues.

Nope, it's not a typo. I used to have ACRE installed for Arma 2 i44 mod, playing on a server with teamspeak. I don't use teamspeak now, but I can try to uninstall everything. I don't really think that ACRE for Arma 2 effects Arma 3. But you are actually right, I did have issues installing ACRE, as it couldn't connect to TS properly..

Okay, was just checking you weren't using the ArmA2 version of ACRE with ArmA3, as that would be bound to cause issues.

Okay, was just checking you weren't using the ArmA2 version of ACRE with ArmA3, as that would be bound to cause issues.

The sound disappears in the main menu and in-game, not only in/near vehicles. So the issue should be described as "sound goes away at random times in-game".

Now what? I can't even play this game, and I don't know what to do..

Do you have a different headset to try (perhaps a friend's that you can borrow, or an old one you no-longer use). Do you have a set of speakers you can plug into your soundcard and see if you get the same issues. I'm trying to narrow down whether its the headset at fault (or more likely some sort of incompatibility or some-such between the headset and the game), or something with the game installation.

By the way, is the headset 100% USB or does it have jack plugs that go into your soundcard?

Edited by Jackal326

Do you have a different headset to try (perhaps a friend's that you can borrow, or an old one you no-longer use). Do you have a set of speakers you can plug into your soundcard and see if you get the same issues. I'm trying to narrow down whether its the headset at fault (or more likely some sort of incompatibility or some-such between the headset and the game), or something with the game installation.

By the way, is the headset 100% USB or does it have jack plugs that go into your soundcard?

I tried to use the speakers, and it worked perfectly fine. I'll see if I can find another headset I can use. And my Turtle Beach headset is 100% USB. No jackplugs.

I tried to use the speakers, and it worked perfectly fine. I'll see if I can find another headset I can use. And my Turtle Beach headset is 100% USB. No jackplugs.

Okay, so its 99.9% the headset that seems to be at fault. Its a shame it is 100% USB, as I think that is where the feedback is coming from (the USB plugin that is). My USB headset also has audio jacks that plug into the motherboard/soundcard, with a USB element for in-line volume control. I have since discovered (in the last 10 minutes after having a play around) the USB cable can be unplugged without compromising the overall functionality of the headset i.e. I can still hear sound, and still transmit using the microphone. However, that is obviously not an option for you.

I am sadly at a loss as to any other suggestions. I have a friend with a USB headset that may be able to offer further help, as I don't know if he had to tweak anything (either ingame settings or any other computer settings) to get it to work with ArmA. When he gets back from his trip on Monday I'll ask him. We have used Task Force Arrowhead Radio with ArmA3 since its release with no issues (to my knowledge), so we'll see what he says. In the meantime, maybe rig it so your speakers project sound, and you only use the microphone on the headset with it around your neck, not ideal I know as it seems a waste of a £100 headset :/

Okay, so its 99.9% the headset that seems to be at fault. Its a shame it is 100% USB, as I think that is where the feedback is coming from (the USB plugin that is). My USB headset also has audio jacks that plug into the motherboard/soundcard, with a USB element for in-line volume control. I have since discovered (in the last 10 minutes after having a play around) the USB cable can be unplugged without compromising the overall functionality of the headset i.e. I can still hear sound, and still transmit using the microphone. However, that is obviously not an option for you.

I am sadly at a loss as to any other suggestions. I have a friend with a USB headset that may be able to offer further help, as I don't know if he had to tweak anything (either ingame settings or any other computer settings) to get it to work with ArmA. When he gets back from his trip on Monday I'll ask him. We have used Task Force Arrowhead Radio with ArmA3 since its release with no issues (to my knowledge), so we'll see what he says. In the meantime, maybe rig it so your speakers project sound, and you only use the microphone on the headset with it around your neck, not ideal I know as it seems a waste of a £100 headset :/

Well that's unfortunate. Is there an official forum I could visit, or is this the one?

Well that's unfortunate. Is there an official forum I could visit, or is this the one?

This is the official forum. Hopefully someone with more in-depth knowledge will be able to help. It may be worth you having a look on the official feedback tracker to see if there are others reporting the issue, as well as any possible solutions.

This is the official forum. Hopefully someone with more in-depth knowledge will be able to help. It may be worth you having a look on the official feedback tracker to see if there are others reporting the issue, as well as any possible solutions.

Okay, well, I appreciate the help, thanks mate.

Bump Bump Bump

Don't bump threads, it's against the rules. If you're up for it, you could try a different headset. My headset is a "Sades Stereo 7.1 Surround Pro USB Gaming Headset" and I have not experienced this bug. This is a pretty cheap headset but it works really well, and comes with its own drivers. If you'd like you can pm me and I'll give you more details.

I've got some questions for you:

- Is your pc grounded?

- Do you have micboost on?

- What are the settings for audio quality (try lower settings)?

Don't bump threads, it's against the rules. If you're up for it, you could try a different headset. My headset is a "Sades Stereo 7.1 Surround Pro USB Gaming Headset" and I have not experienced this bug. This is a pretty cheap headset but it works really well, and comes with its own drivers. If you'd like you can pm me and I'll give you more details.

Okay, sorry for the bump.. I did not know it was against the rules, but I am aware of it now.

I have tried using speakers, and that worked fine. I am almost certain that my headset is causing this problem. I read a couple of other forums, and they had the exact same problem, and almost the exact same headset (Turtle Beach z60). The only difference was that he was using jack plugs, while I was using USB. He solved the problem later in the thread, but that it did not work for me.

I've got some questions for you:

- Is your pc grounded?

- Do you have micboost on?

- What are the settings for audio quality (try lower settings)?

I don't think I have grounded my PC.. I have never heard of "grounding" a pc. I am not using a micboost.

Ok, pm me really quick if you have about $25 to spare on a cheap, yet decent headset to try and see if it's ACTUALLY your headset or your computer.

Okay, sorry for the bump.. I did not know it was against the rules, but I am aware of it now.

I have tried using speakers, and that worked fine. I am almost certain that my headset is causing this problem. I read a couple of other forums, and they had the exact same problem, and almost the exact same headset (Turtle Beach z60). The only difference was that he was using jack plugs, while I was using USB. He solved the problem later in the thread, but that it did not work for me.

I don't think I have grounded my PC.. I have never heard of "grounding" a pc. I am not using a micboost.

Grounding is done to prevent static electricity buildup which could hurt you or your system. Normally the psu would be grounded through the cable via the ground pin on the wallsocket.

So if that is the case, your machine has already been grounded. Unless your using a wallsocket without an earth/ground pin.

Grounding is done to prevent static electricity buildup which could hurt you or your system. Normally the psu would be grounded through the cable via the ground pin on the wallsocket.

So if that is the case, your machine has already been grounded. Unless your using a wallsocket without an earth/ground pin.

Ohh, grounded. Yeah it is grounded through the PSU. I am using a surge protection on the wall socket.

Ok, pm me really quick if you have about $25 to spare on a cheap, yet decent headset to try and see if it's ACTUALLY your headset or your computer.

I know for sure that is my headset. I've already tried speakers, and other people with similar issues have had the same headset as well. Turtle Beach Z60 is a headset I would like to keep for as long as possible, and I prefer to use that when I'm gaming.

Did you try with lower soundquality settings in windows