Sign in to follow this  
tremanarch

Seat position in Jets feels too low

in Arma the view is obstructed by the console. it feels like you are sunk inside the airplane..

while the feeling captured with this cam (maybe through fish eye lense?) is much more vulnerable and breathtaking - parts due to a higher seat position. it feels like you head is 1 millimetre away from the canopy

you can see the cam is at eye height...

To make more accurate comparison you should try find helmet cam of a pilot in same plane as is used AAF air force.

What you are seeing with the helmet cam in the 2nd video is what's above the pilots eye line. The pilot isn't seeing that high up.

I'm a pilot. It's very normal to feel that you are sitting low, but that's just how the vast majority of planes are designed.

Looks to me the 2nd video is filmed with the camera on the side of the helmet, perhaps slightly higher than the pilot's eye-line, rather than either a google-glass style POV or top-mounted go-pro style camera.

That said, aside from the somewhat distorted FOV of the real-life footage, it doesn't seem that much different in terms of the seat-height compared to the ingame footage. The overall visibility seems about the same, and from the console both aircraft would seem to be similar (I'm not a pilot, so have no idea, just going on instrument layout and the HUD etc).

It looks kinda little low but only way to fix that would be adding like DCS has - set your own view pos , higher or lower how the pilot prefer

You could maybe move it up with ctrl+mouse movement or something.

I don't mind it being low, I think that's the way it is. Part of the "breathtaking" aspect also comes from the fact that in real life there are no LoDs or view distances. Everything is just as detailed from the sky as it is from a foot away. Games can't do this.

I do think the seat is too big though. You should be able to look back over your shoulder or around the seat to see behind you, but you can't with the current configuration.