Sign in to follow this  
thecoolsideofthepillow

Dumb Mistakes.

This is slightly more directed to scripters, but I'm sure there are some interesting player stories, too. What are some of your dumb mistakes?

For the past 30 minutes I had been trying to get something super simple working that just wasn't cooperating... The markers are right, the modules are synced, the scripts are good; what's wrong!? I had renamed my mission, but was still putting the scripts in the originally-named mission folder. D'oh!

Recursive functions in ACS2, that's why it's not done already

Ha I remember that evening we spent.... (mental note to check everything is declared private) xD

For me it's passing variables like this:

_thing = _this select 0;
_thing2 = _this select 0;
_thing3 = _this select 0;
_thing4 = _this select 0;

Lazy copy pasta the args but forgetting to update and reference the right element....

I think my dumbest mistake was taking Arma scripting head on, cause now almost a year later it consumes my life and I'm a post count whore (just got a promotion via this post :D), but in the end it has actually helped me a lot in the real world in understanding some more complicated topics in things like C++.

Mistakes are always the quickest way to learn :).

Biggest mistake I remember is having a mortar script ran on every client, and JIP, so it created mortars every time someone connected and created them for every currently connected client, lets just say after ~20 people got in the server was holding at around a solid 1 FPS.

This is slightly more directed to scripters, but I'm sure there are some interesting player stories, too. What are some of your dumb mistakes?

For the past 30 minutes I had been trying to get something super simple working that just wasn't cooperating... The markers are right, the modules are synced, the scripts are good; what's wrong!? I had renamed my mission, but was still putting the scripts in the originally-named mission folder. D'oh!

I do that allllllllllllllllll the time... I'll never learn.

Create a new Folder Name Version of a mission (Example. MyMission_V100 to MyMission_V101)

Forget to change the briefingName in mission.sqm

Then I cant find it when i do #missions because there are now two Fucking MyMission_V100

I have lost count of how many times I have done this :)

Edited by BL1P

Creating a Live fire range with rea targets but made it so that they spawned for every player and everytime you entered the zone.... yey a 1000 enemys at the ame time.... server didn't like it

I have a folder in my Arma3 directory called '@TESTBIN', which I use as the temporary place for testing the mods/pbo's that I put together. Once everything works I move the files to a more appropriately named folder.

So one day I'm editing a config, saving it, packing the pbo, launching Arma 3, selecting the mission editor, selecting the mission, previewing the mission, and then finding out that my change didn't do anything. Ok, change it again to something else. Edit, save, pack, launch, editor, mission, preview... still not working. I have another idea to make it work. Edit, save, pack, launch, editor, mission, preview... still not working. Fuuuuuu....!!!!

Two hours and untold amounts of changes later...

I checked the file path for the destination for the packed pbo's. I forgot that I was messing with a different mod the night before, and when it didn't work I just turned everything off and went to bed. As I sometimes do, I had switched the destination folder to something different and never set it back. So the whole time I was packing it to a folder that was not enabled in the executable string (or in my case the correct box was not checked in Arma3Sync).

When I fixed the error I went back and changed the config to reflect my initial edit. Edit, save, pack, launch, editor, mission, preview... it works! It took me two hours of this cycle of futility until I realized my error. Two hours of my life I'll never get back. On the plus side, I kept referring back to other projects in my project folder, in an attempt to get the current project working, and found minor errors in those old projects. Still, it sucks overall.

I was trying to get my vehicle to work for almost a month before I realized I was missing land contact points. Four goddamn vertices.

I joined a life server once...

:nerner:

(thanks I'll be here all week)

Dumb mistake: destroying a helicopter with an RPG when that helicopter was flying directly at me.

Result: seagull.

I joined a life server once...

:nerner:

(thanks I'll be here all week)

I'll be honest with you, I lol'd when I read this.

I'll be honest with you, I lol'd when I read this.

Thanks... too kind, too kind ;)

A common one i make is making any mission,throwing in some nice scripts,ambience etc Then creating waypoints for my infantry AI and visualising it play out in my head and thinking "yeah,the AI should be able to handle that".....Then playing the mission(in this case sanguin summer) and watching AI zig zag around 1 meter high "walls" that the player can go over without vaulting and watching them getting mowed down by their own incompetence.

Yes,theres somethings even Bcombat will never fix.