Sign in to follow this  
diffusion9

Modded weapon sounds not changing when modifying config

Hey all. I've slowly started wrapping my head around these config files, and all this modding business. So far its been okay, but I've hit an issue I'm guessing has to do with inheritance but goes beyond my current level of understanding. I'm hoping someone can shed some light on it for me so I can understand it better.

Some background: I like the Canadian Armed Forces Modification quite a lot, and I noticed that the CAF weapons don't show up in the BIS Arsenal so I decided to try and use the opportunity to 'recreate' the weapon based off an existing BIS weapon as a training tool to teach myself all this stuff.

I started by cloning a Katiba and more-or-less started swapping in values from the mod's weapon config. The weapon is in-game, showing up in Arsenal correctly (woo!), and its working (more or less - I'm sure some of the animations don't perfectly match, but I'm not worried about the minutiae. I just want to get the basics down.) but I can't seem to change either the firing sound, or modify the list of weapon attachments (right now when I view the weapon in Arsenal it includes all the optics from the CAF mod, as well the default Katiba scopes).

I tried to just swap in the values from the Mod's gun but that hasn't changed anything -- it still sounds like the Katiba. I also tried creating a Rifle_base_f class inside the config with the same set of sounds defined, but didn't have any luck. I also have the source of the sounds in the cfgPatches ("caf_c8a3").

So my questions are -- why isn't the sound changing? Is there another dependency somewhere, am I missing something, or do I have some sort of syntax wrong? I'm guessing if I get an idea of how to solve the sound problem it would help me solve the optic problem too. Is there something further up the line that is being loaded before my dummy weapon that is locking in the rifle sounds?

Here's my config file for the weapon. For fun I decided to call it the "C10" - which was supposed to be a C7 training variant before DND canned it. Any advice would be awesome, and appreciated.

config: http://pastebin.com/LJUrb8kh

Edited by Diffusion9
replaced code block with pastebin link

Looks like I may have solved it; It did indeed seem to be an inheritance issue. Ultimately I dropped some classes, and added the "c8_base" class above cfgWeapons (which ties into the sfx dependency listed in cfgPatches). Here's a pastebin link to the updated config if anybody in the future discovers this and wants to compare: http://pastebin.com/1cELk1XE