Sign in to follow this  
Nicholas

Game on SSD - Mods on HDD

Would having ArmA 3 installed on my SSD and the mods installed on my HDD hinder my performance much? Or would it simply be best to keep all the mods on the SSD with ArmA 3?

Solved already. Sorry!

Wondering about this also. I have Win 8.1 on 1 SSD, Steam games on another SSD, and then my mods on a raid 0 array of two 1TB hard drives. Should I put them on the SSD as well?

Wondering about this also. I have Win 8.1 on 1 SSD, Steam games on another SSD, and then my mods on a raid 0 array of two 1TB hard drives. Should I put them on the SSD as well?

Works fine if you put them on the HDD. But if it's something like a map, I would suggest putting it on the SSD with ArmA.

I would say anything with textures and/or sounds would do best to go on an ssd (for run-time streaming purposes).

I have the same, Arma 3 and OS on SSD (just 120 gb:/ ) and ALL mods, maps too, on a caviar black HDD, hope it's fine, right now I have no other solutions available, other than buying a huge SSD.

For gaming I've always been told it's actually better to have the games on the SSD and the OS on the HDD. This would include the mods being on the SSD so it can load them faster.

Sure, having the OS on the SSD makes it boot faster, but if you're doing anything that requires loading from the disk, and what you're loading is on the HDD instead of the SSD, it will see next to no improvement.

Arma game and large mods on SSD. The reason is that ARMA streams content such as the map, textures, objects (models) in to the game as you move around. Content on the SSD would load faster. I have both ARMA 2 and 3 on my SSD with OS but all the applications on a HDD. My SSD is small so I hope to get a bigger one later and move more streaming games onto it (GTA, Crysis, BF).

I will get a bigger SSD, 120 GB is really too few, I would need the double

@valken:

I was given a Samsung 850 500 GB drive for Christmas, my 256 GB 840 PRO was running out of room (Win 7 & key progs; CO + mods; A3 + mods). I recommend it highly if you can afford it.

It's as fast as the 840 PRO. Both very fast if you use the "Rapid" technology; this uses RAM as a cache to speed up read & write. Rapid is probably not advisable for systems with much less than 8GB.

The 850 PRO is consderably more expensive, the main difference being the longer warranty. However the standard version warranty is 5 years or 150TB. Same V-NAND technology as the PRO so I'm not worried :)